Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 02:29 PM

29 posts, read 196,659 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Chattanooga around September, after I graduate culinary school. What areas should I look for or avoid? I need someplace safe for a single, white girl. If that sounds odd I should add I'm from TN originally and have split my life between memphis and the west coast. I'd really like to rent a small house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 07:01 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,275 times
What do you look for in a home and what is your budget? I can help you w/a bit more info. For fun, I will assume that your budget is not extravagant as you are single and just out of school. Cheap nice areas close to town will include Red Bank, Soddy Daisy (safest IMHO), Hixson (may be pricey). I live in Brainerd and just love it but I would recommend that you really check out the neighborhoods and not just move right in. Hope this helps!

Old 12-19-2006, 11:56 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,875,676 times
Smile Welcome to Neighborhood

S.H. Interesting Name..! Happy Holiday , Welcome to neighborhood. Any chance you went to school in Hyde Park NY.? We lived in that CIA town. Prior post has good leads that North side of town might be 1st choice. All towns have variety of SQuare Feet so just get a feel of how big you need.
We will Leave A Light On FOr Ya . ! Let me know if any Samples are Left Over? Many years and still skinny . Hixon does seem to have new modern style townhouses/condos.? in my opinion.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:11 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletthurricane View Post
I'll be moving to Chattanooga around September, after I graduate culinary school. What areas should I look for or avoid? I need someplace safe for a single, white girl. If that sounds odd I should add I'm from TN originally and have split my life between memphis and the west coast. I'd really like to rent a small house.
put soddy daisy
in a search here, there was a person from soddy daisy who said there are brand new townhouses to rent for maybe 650.00 that should give you a start. People seem to like soddy daisy.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:52 PM

Thanks for the advice. Soddy daisy seems nice but a bit too small for me.

No, I'm not going to CIA, Split, although one of my teachers went there. I'm attending OCCI in Oregon. It's in a town of 15,000 and about 2 hours from the next big town. Can't wait to get back down south!!

I think 650 (on the high end) and under is a good starting point. I don't know how quickly I will get promoted, so my expenses will probably change within the first year. I don't want to get stuck with a long lease, so a year in a decent place should work for me. Something bigger than a studio, smaller than a mansion...bigger than my stomach, smaller than the universe? The more you think about things, the more you realize how picky you are.

I won't choose anything until I've seen the city, but I'm hoping to get a feel of the town first. It seems like a great place, and I'm sick of the crime in Memphis.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:11 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,275 times
Let's see Scarlette... Soddy is small but it's 15-20 minutes from downtown on a nice newer highway so you will get more for your money. Red Bank has a small town atmosphere and local eateries but not that exciting. It is "just over the hill" from downtown and Hixson though. Now Hixson seems your best bet even if it makes for a tight budget. Lotsa trendy restuarants, tons of shops. Hmmm.... I am going to have to think on this one lol If you are going to check out the city, I will also recommend North Chattanooga. There are lots of very nice homes that rent out mother-in-law apartments for extra income. VERY VERY cool part of town.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:32 PM

LOL, mother-in-law apartments??

Hmmm, hixon and n. chattanooga sound more like what I am looking for. Lots of people, good places to eat and decent beer...as long as those things are close by, I'm good. I'm tired of driving 2 hours for groceries and supplies.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 17,894 times
just moved to chattanooga and found a nice house in n chatt. for 700/mo. Nice area and close to anything you need. Like yourself i just got out of school and was looking for something affordable.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:16 PM

Do you mind being a bit more specific about the area? If you don't want to post it here, could you send me a private message? It's just when people say "North Chattanooga" I'm still lost as to where it is. Is it north of Chattanooga or are there certain streets that surround it?

I've been looking at apts in Signal MT. They're nice, but are really a 2nd choice for me.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:34 PM

30 posts, read 116,905 times
North Chatt is an area of Chattanooga. (the north part of the city LOL) If I am not mistaken, it is the older part of the city....the homes are quite a bit older and have much more character. I am from Chatt, and am considering a move back, I currently live in Pa....I still do not know why I moved here LOL... but, anywho good luck finding your spot.

And, stay away from Soddy, its a bit country ghetto, also areas to avoid, Orchard Knob and places like that...East Brainerd and Ooltewah are fantastic, I grew up in EB, but a bit pricey...

Cheers!
Amanda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga