Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 09:32 PM

7,587 posts, read 6,672,428 times

Advertisements

Hello, friends,

My wife and I are planning to drive down from Kentucky in a few weeks, and spend some time seeing the colors in the Smokies. We've never been through there this time of year, though, and we were wondering what part of October they usually peak in that area. Can anyone help us out?

We're also curious about good places to stay near the Smokies. Probably just for a day or two. Anyone have any suggestions about nice, out of the way places near the northern end of the Smokies? Do accommodations generally fill up fast around that time of year?

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 09:39 PM

PS - I'm not really a crocodile. I just made that up because I thought it sounded funny. So you don't have to worry about anything... honest!

Old 09-19-2013, 02:09 PM

340 posts, read 1,518,007 times
The best drive you could do that is fairly close to Chatt is along the Cherohala skyway. Not that many people know about it, but it rivals the Blue Ridge Pkwy. It starts in Tellico Plains (maybe 1 hr from Chatt) and ends in NC. It is roughly 35 mile directly over the Smokies and designed to show off the mountains. There are great Inns and B&B's at the end of it in NC, like in the Lake Santeelah area. Because of the altitude I would suggest 3rd week of October, wheras in Chatt it is more last week to 1st Week of Nov.

The Cherohala Skyway, a National Scenic Byway

Good luck.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:18 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,974,783 times
Townsend, TN, is known as "the quiet side of the Smokies". You can expect the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area to be very crowded during the "leaf season", but smaller Townsend, which literally borders the national park, stays quiet most of the time, while offering easy access to the Little River Road, Tremont, and Cade's Cove. There are many nice rental cabins in the Townsend area, along with an adequate number of restaurants, craft shops, and so on - all minus the razzle-dazzle tourist traps of G'burg and PF.

The southern stretch of the very scenic, lightly-traveled Foothills Parkway is just outside of Townsend.

However, do be aware of the upcoming federal budget issues which may result in temporary closing of many national park facilities, unless Congress can get its act together by October 1. The road between Gatlinburg and Cherokee, NC should remain open, but there are no guarantees for visitor centers and other park facilities.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:32 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,721,374 times
We were married October 10th and went to Blowing Rock for a one night honeymoon before going to Fayetteville for our real honeymoon near Pope AFB. We usually have a trip to the mountains the weekend before or after October 10th. Only one year in what will be 49 this year did not have some color that week in the Boone/Blowing Rock area. I think that would be a safe bet for the other areas too. That year a storm knocked all the leaves off the trees.

The weather channel has a color report but when they say peak, it is too late for me. I like to see the greens and colors together.

You know how the flower girls drop the rose petals for the bride. As we drove out the parkway the yellow and red leaves fell off the trees and blanketed the pavement for us. It was so romantic I still remember after 49 years.

Last edited by NCN; 09-23-2013 at 07:43 PM..

Old 09-24-2013, 03:39 AM

Oh, this is excellent. Thank you all! We're really getting excited about this now, and I wouldn't have known any of this if you folks hadn't helped out. I think we're going to have a great time, and we owe it all to you!

Reps for everyone!

Old 09-24-2013, 08:51 AM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,721,374 times
Blue Ridge Parkway Fall Colors Tracker
Found this on facebook today.
Blue Ridge Parkway Fall Colors Tracker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga