Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 10:07 AM

304 posts, read 473,958 times

Advertisements

I've spent a lot of time in many Tennessee towns but Cleveland tops my list in trying to figure out what makes it tick. It's an industrial town. It's a very religious city as well and it's predominantly republican. Has been for a 100 years.
The early settlers came through the mountains from the east, spilling out of North Carolina and staying in the Cleveland area because there were so many springs. A nice convenience for those without tools to dig wells.
Another large migration came down the Shenandoah Valley, it is said that some 250,000 came down through Virginia and would cross the river just south of Knoxville. Sometimes it took 2 or 3 days to prepare for and to cross the Tennessee. Recently I timed my crossing at 14 seconds doing 70 mph across the bridge. Many stopped along the way and many kept going on into Chattanooga and further into Alabama.
But those who stayed to make up Cleveland and Bradley County, formed a composite thats hard to figure. A half dozen men were in position to profit from World War I, the Hardwick woolen mills made uniforms for the soldiers and other manufacturers made all sorts of things from outfitting the horses to making small portable kerosene heaters to keep the men warm. They held onto their profits during the depression and really became wealthy in the WWII effort.
But the other group who came through the mountains from the east were not at all concerned about getting rich. They were concerned about getting to heaven. As a result of this, five Pentecostal denominations have headquarters in Cleveland and as a result of this they handle and manage millions dollars each year.
I have only scratched the surface of this peculiar city, just thought that some of you might have some knowledge and insight of what makes Cleveland tick?

Old 05-28-2013, 01:07 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,314,299 times
If I wanted to make a day trip to Cleveland, what would be there for me to see or participate in?

Old 05-29-2013, 12:04 PM

There's a museum on Inman St. on the east side just before you get to the railroad tracks. Still further east are the Parksville mountains and the Lake on it's east side. This area has tens of thousands of visitors per year. Here you can rent boats, go swimming are even ride the rapids.
Lots of good restaurants all around the area.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:23 PM

70 posts, read 214,389 times
Hey, Fort O,
You've got an interesting post, but I'm not sure why you bothered. Are you somehow interested in relocating to Cleveland or, are you just stating some random facts in case anyone is interested? Yes, Cleveland has a 'personality', just like almost every other neighborhood/town/city in the rest of the country...even like Fort O. (Yes, I've spent a little time there, too.) What makes Cleveland tick? The people! Same as all other towns. Not sure why you're trying to 'figure out' Cleveland. I've been here 35 years and I just take it 'as it is'. It's been perfectly fine for me and my family.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:59 AM

The personality of a town has always fascinated me. Take Murfreesboro for instance, when I ran a weekly paper there years ago, it took a long time to be invited to sit around the big round table in Don's dinner. But that was; where the Mayor, the County Mayor, the bankers and other movers and shakers met every day.
It was at the time when that city and county was about to go into rapid growth but up until then a hand full of men had pretty much made the decisions.
Until that time, Murfreesboro had a local newspaper with a local mindset, much like the Cleveland Daily Banner, but then a major chain bought it out and that began to change things. Very quickly, the movers and shakers began to realize that another mover and shaker was in town. If Gannett or another newspaper group were to come to Cleveland, a subtle but definite change would begin to take place in Cleveland.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:52 AM

Default How does a newspaper affect a town?

"Until that time, Murfreesboro had a local newspaper with a local mindset, much like the Cleveland Daily Banner, but then a major chain bought it out and that began to change things. Very quickly, the movers and shakers began to realize that another mover and shaker was in town. If Gannett or another newspaper group were to come to Cleveland, a subtle but definite change would begin to take place in Cleveland."
The Cleveland Daily Banner, has been in the same family as long as I can remember and is known in the industry as a parochial paper. That is; like a religious journal or trade organ. It serves primarily as an extension to the Chamber of Commerce. It has shown a lot of discipline in what it has reported. Other than elected officials, you never see stories are pictures of the real power behind the scenes.
To my knowledge the Brown's, the Rymer's and the Hardwick's are never mentioned and even the Johnston's operate below the radar. Take these four families and add Allen Jones and the owner of Life Care Centers and you have several billion dollars in net worth, which the newspaper never mentions in anything more than a passing reference.
Someone from the working class will occasionally get a picture run, if they have captured a large snake, caught a large fish are shot a seven point buck. The middle class get stories about their weddings, graduations etc. The upper class are content to just make money.
In the meantime, The Banner is content to make money as well. It is known to be one of the most profitable papers in the state.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:41 AM

O' CLEVELAND
Your curse is;
believing too much,
in things that don't exist.
In waiting for the next life,
while neglecting the life you have,
Of seeing through a glass darkly,
and of believing that you see clearly.

Last edited by Fortoggie; 07-11-2013 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: remove one word

Old 12-20-2013, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 7,283 times
What about the Native American Indians Cherokees of that Town. What happen to them ?

Old 12-22-2013, 07:00 PM

Cleveland was founded in 1837 at almost exactly the time the Cherokees were rounded up and sent off the west. For awhile 12,000 Cherokees were put in a holding pen near Charleston,Tn. It was from here they would be floated down the Hiwassee river to the Tennessee and then at some point off loaded and made to walk, under armed guard.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 7,798 times
Ah yes the Cleveland Daily Banner, or as one of my professors at Lee once called it, the daily fish wrapper. They didn't cover anything regarding the abuse of power scandal with the former chief of police Lee Reese. (That was fully covered by the now defunct Bradley News Weekly). Or the time when a Lee student was hospitalized from fraternity hazing injuries (which was covered by several Chatt. news outlets). I'm kinda shocked they even mentioned the scandal with the current police chief who also had to resign. Look how many ads are paid for by the local college, they never report anything "bad" it's just a PR paper more than anything.

Yes Cleveland is odd. Interesting, not so much. I'm currently doing what I can to get out, since there are NO full time jobs in the area where I want to work (horse industry).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga