Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2007, 09:22 AM

12 posts, read 35,808 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I will be moving to Tennessee in approx 2 years. I know it seems forever away, but I am a freak about planning. I currently reside in between Sacramento and Redding California (No anti-Ca comments please) My husband and I both grew up on wildlife preserves and have since become unhappy in the condtion of our state and TN looks like home to me. We have never visited. I have been researching for about 6 months and have gotten the feel that the Chat area and surroundings of Ooltewah, Coolegdale etc are the most family friendly. my husband is a cop and I am a 911 operator. I have no idea what the policing community is like or if there are any job opportunites in the law area in these towns. We live in a very small town and are looking for a quiet neighborhood with lots of trees but close to a larger town. Any ideas? And please do not try to discourage me from moving there just because I am from CA. I have gotten that in every single forum. Thank you.Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 11:17 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,878,973 times
Thumbs up New Neighbor.

J.J. Hello, even though you may be a year late to the party. The secret is out about affordable quality of life in S.E. Tn. I would mention Ooltewah is not really quiet town, sort of in 4 lane highway of I-75, many truck accidents / delays. East into Polk co (Ocoee river area) more rural. North of your target (Birchwood) nice for Horses , etc.
Recent article about Tn now rated #1 for our state parks will be in your favor. Cumberland ridge to West being built with 305 mile linear Hiking trail, link to Great Eastern. Whole east part sate seem friendly to me , very heavy church presence.
Major news story all last month about Missing 911 operator(Female) and after a few days fire and arrest Husband police super, and one of his patrolmen. Sad story, but each month someone in school or police mess up with minors or girlfriends. Area growing and both sheriff (New elected) try to expand the school offficer program when budget are increased.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:08 PM

390 posts, read 1,702,514 times
Hi and welcome to the Chattanooga forum. We just moved here from FL, but I was in CA for many years prior to FL. We live in Hixson and I know there are others here that are more knowledgeable about the areas than I, but from what I gather if you are looking for family friendly suburban areas Hixson, Signal Mountain, Soddy Daisy, and some areas east of the city are the places to look. There are people who love E. Brainard and Ooltewah, we feel they are a conjested with too much development going on. Hixson and Soddy Daisy are also seeing a lot of development, but we don't live that far north. If you want somewhere more urban and hip, there is N. Chattanooga. If you want rural, there are many outlying areas, to fit the bill. For schools, you can go to a couple of websites to see where the best are, but as jkmewright often says, go where the money is for the best schools, unfortunately. There is a website that is free that I will pm you for school ratings, also the state of TN has report cards online for all of its schools. I think it has been posted in this forum before if you do a search.

I can't help you with you jobs, as I just moved here and do not really know what the prospects are in your fields. We love it here and are very happy to have moved. Noone has been negative or rude to us, because we are from somewhere else. Actually, I do not think you will find that here in the Chattanooga forum. Just do your research and do some scouting trips. There are some great long detailed posts by LauraC in the main TN forum about places to research and get all the info you need before you move.

Hope your find what you are looking for and definitely keep us posted. My best to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga