Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 05:53 PM

132 posts, read 487,932 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the Knoxville forum and I got more positive responses for Chattanooga than Knoxville! I'd like to know what Chattanooga residents think, so I'm reposting here.

My wife and I are in our mid 30's. We live in the Northeast, but we are searching for somewhere with milder winters! Plus, the housing prices here are ridiculous for what you get.

No kids yet!

We are very down to earth, unpretentious.

We love the mountains, hiking, camping, kayaing, etc. We are very "outdoorsy" people. We also like to run, although we can only run outdoors for about 7 months of the year here. We lived in FL for a few years, but we really missed the change of seasons, mountains, hiking, etc.

We considered Colorado, but it just too dry out there for us - we like to see things green! Plus, I love lakes - not many in CO, except for way up in the mountains.

We also like some interesting restaurants to go for dinner on weekends (not pricey, just fun and different).

I will be attending a conference in Nashville at the end of October. I think Nashville is much too far from the mountains for us to consider, but I would like to visit Knoxville and Chattanooga, but we may only have time to see one place.

My wife and I both work in health care.

We live near several colleges/universities now and I have often found "college towns" fun places to live; this is one reason we have considered Knoxville.

What do you think? Does Knoxville sound like a good place for us? I know that this is the Knoxville thread and it may be biased, but how would you compare Knoxville and Chattanooga? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 06:38 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,884,162 times
Thumbs up Chatt - lots of sports.

M: Hello from a one year ,HalfBack. Chatt ,with its website of OUTDOOR CHATTANOOGA has lots of clubs, amateur weekend races, user friendly access. They have started a BLUEWAY here down the creeks, river, even camping on the islands, thru the Grand Canyon of the East.
Still in progress / build is the 305 mile Cumberland Trail just up on Walden ridge. There is college presence here with the UTC. Lots of Medical parks growing as we have large Insurance co base here. Pres Bush visit for Medical early part of year.

North side of town has more elbow / rural room towards Soddy , Dayton, but this whole Rt # 27 river valley is getting discovered. Also not really that far from Knoxville for a weekend, or a special airplane flight connection, but Chatt airport growing volume.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,568 times
Default Chattanooga

I have lived in both Chattanooga and Knoxville and I am a huge fan of Chattanooga!

Knoxville has a few perks, but overall, as an outdoor enthusiast, there is more available at your doorstep in Chattanooga. Chatt has more character and charm to it as well. Not too big and not too small. There is always some sort of festival going on and some reason to celebrate.

Housing prices are super cheap here to! You have the option of living in TN or North GA and the price per square foot is way better than Knoxville.

The Outdoor Chattanooga website is a good tool to check out the stuff that's going on and check out HistoricChatt.com for a good housing search site.

I hope this helps!

Old 10-15-2007, 08:24 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,694,791 times
please allow me to introduce the following thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chatt...ce-please.html

Old 10-16-2007, 08:22 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,670,910 times
^^^ That thread by Tridad just about covers it all. See ya when you get here

Old 10-17-2007, 02:05 PM

5 posts, read 14,282 times
I grew up in knoxville...lived in NH and MA for 10 years and relocated back to Chattanooga 5 years ago. Trust me...if you like the outdoors...Chattanooga is the better town for you. You have access to every kind of outdoor activity within range of the city (except for maybe some good snow skiing).

Knoxville is a great place to visit but I'm glad to be in Chattanooga....this town is truely experiencing a rennaisance and I don't think you will be dissappointed. Also....my son is almost grown now but this is a great place for families with young children....lots to do with them.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 163,851 times
Chattanooga is really terrible. Knoxville has more diversity and jobs which is something Chattanooga seriously lacks. Forget about finding a reasonably priced attractive home. Everything is utterly hideous and very overpriced. There are no decent grocery stores. If you're not a local, you are at a serious disadvantage. Think twice before coming out here or at least think of Deliverance.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:39 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,670,910 times
Veronica my dear, Deliverance is going too far. That's too much.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:03 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,094,021 times
"Deliverance"......hmmmmm......

Old 11-06-2007, 04:22 PM

611 posts, read 2,002,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica41282 View Post
Chattanooga is really terrible. Knoxville has more diversity and jobs which is something Chattanooga seriously lacks. Forget about finding a reasonably priced attractive home. Everything is utterly hideous and very overpriced. There are no decent grocery stores. If you're not a local, you are at a serious disadvantage. Think twice before coming out here or at least think of Deliverance.

So..... you are still not a fan of Chattanooga
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga