Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 AM

155 posts, read 334,987 times

Advertisements

I've come to enjoy discovering the best places to eat since moving to Chattanooga in 2009, and wanted to create a thread where others can share their discoveries. We could break this down into categories too, if we want to. Most of my picks are probably already known by most, haven't yet explored enough hole in the wall places to find the hidden ones, but that's all the more reason to get this thread going.

My nominations:

Best Overall:

#1. Taco Roc
- 6960 Lee Highway (across from Bi-Lo) - Authentic, home-made mexican and the best tacos I've ever had anywhere. Plus, it's cheap, and the service sizes are generous. Recommendation: Taco Roc Plate (~$6.95), especially with the barbacoa.

#2. Champy's - 526 East MLK Blvd. - Most already know about Champy's, but arguably the best fried chicken in the area. Also cheap with good portions, dinner for two runs about ~$25 with tip. Recommendation: Fried chicken (~$6) or fried catfish (~$10).

#3. Taco Mamacita - 109 North Market St. - While slightly pricier than the previous two, they make the cut only because of their unique fusion-style tacos you won't find anywhere else, and they're always delicious.

Honorable Mentions:

Formosa
- 5425 Highway 153 - Best Chinese food I've yet discovered in the area, and a decent value. Everything we've tried here has been decent so far, and service has generally been good as well. Nothing about it is exceptional, but worth a look if you want Chinese.

Thai Smile - 219 Market St. - Very good Thai food and great service. Only reason they don't make the cut as a "best" is because it is a bit pricey if you're looking for value. Recommendation: Deep Sea House Special (if you enjoy shell fish and squid).

Joe Friday's - 825 Houston St. - Not so much a "restaurant" as it is just a small coffee shop/cafe, but their food is delicious and in a nice/unique setting (upstairs seating is great if you want something cozy/intimate). Recommendation: Salmon bagel and their smoothies are great.

Post your thoughts or your picks, if you have any.

Last edited by JMT; 01-11-2012 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: Consumer complaints are not allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 07:02 AM

352 posts, read 883,349 times
I have way too many favorites , especially for hamburgers, etc.

I'm just going to post what I think is the best brunch in town. The Broad Street Grill !!! If you haven't been, you are missing out! It is to die for, seriously. I wasn't impressed with the breakfast, and the dinners are great, but you will spend a small fortune.
If you do the brunch, you will never forget the stuffed french toast. I would have that as my last meal Chattanooga Restaurants | The Chattanoogan Hotel | Champagne Brunchh

Old 01-11-2012, 01:36 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Moderator note: since consumer complaints are not allowed, per the Terms of Service, I had to change this thread so that it's not also about "bad" restaurants. Therefore, please keep your posts positive. Thanks.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 01-11-2012 at 06:59 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 02:52 PM

611 posts, read 1,998,469 times
Some of my fav's"

Table 2

Sushi Nabi

Tremont Tavern

The Southern Star

Urban Stack

Terminal Brewery

Old 01-13-2012, 05:30 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,654,480 times
Ok, I will play

Seoul - Korean food - Just try it, I dare ya!

Aretha Frankenstein's - the wait (for seating and food) is rough but it's worth it.

Ghengis Grill - it's make your own but somehow, in this place, I can COOK! haha

For fear of starting another best BBQ war I won't say which is my favorite but you ever notice that when you eat BBQ your Fingers get Sticky and eating alot of it will make you a Porker?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:50 AM

340 posts, read 1,512,013 times
I dunno jk, Sugar's has those both beat hands down in my book, not that I'm trying to perpetuate any long-term disagreement.

Of course I could see where those with a slightly less discriminating palate may like the others ;-)

Old 01-13-2012, 06:17 PM

155 posts, read 334,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Ok, I will play

Aretha Frankenstein's - the wait (for seating and food) is rough but it's worth it.

For fear of starting another best BBQ war I won't say which is my favorite but you ever notice that when you eat BBQ your Fingers get Sticky and eating alot of it will make you a Porker?
We checked out Aretha Frankenstein's this afternoon. I had the short stack with blueberries, my girlfriend had the Aretha's Breakfast with eggs, biscuit, sausage, etc. Neither of us were really impressed. The food was decent, but not outstanding or worth going for again. I give them points for reasonable prices and originality, though.

We might check out the Seoul place sometime too.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:20 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,654,480 times
I think it's the atmosphere and price I like so much at Arethas but I have to say the waffles with an ice cream scoop and sprinkled with cinnamon rocks.

Seoul is really good and the hostess/owner is just too sweet and charming. Try bulgogi or dolset bibimbap.

Careful Das... haha!

Old 01-14-2012, 10:26 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Ok, I will play

So, are you saying you like Seoul food?

ba-da-bing!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:07 AM

6 posts, read 17,637 times
I haven't had the opportunity to check out much, am wanting to relocate to Chatt. in the not so distant future so I stop in for a bite whenever I am in the area.

So far I really love Urban Stack. Atlanta is saturated with upscale trendy burger joints so I have gotten kind of jaded, but these burgers are ridiculous! Great bologna sliders, whiskey cocktails, and shakes too!

Really enjoyed The Honest Pint. Cool atmosphere, great beer list, and really tasty irish fare.

Haven't eaten there yet, but love The Hair of the Dog for a great bar hang out and beer list.

Also love Taco Mamacita, esp. the Sloppy Jose taco!

Can't wait to try Taco Roc!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga