Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:00 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,654,480 times

Advertisements

do as the 'noogans do

For those who are interested in our area and have children I thought I would post a little something about what we natives actually do here for fun in the summer. If you want to get out of the house and not spend a fortune doing it here are some tips for you.

Friday & Saturday nights:

Head to Boyd's Speedway, a drag strip and dirt track in East Ridge. Cost per person $5. This is some real home grown fun. Concession stand with the typical cheesy nachos, pickles, candy and coke. We love this place.

Sanctuary Skate Park: $8 per person, $5 helmet rental ($2 entry if you purchase a $50 membership). We rocked the park this past Saturday and had a blast! You can bring anything with wheels as long as it's not motorpowered. Bikes, skates, skateboards etc... The kids look kinda wicked but are a great bunch. The ages range from 3yrs to 43 yrs. Those "old men" can work a board lol There is a dog park next door as well as a hockey rink. On Sundays, leave the kids at the skate park (secured) and head over to the Cricket Pavillion for some food and entertainment that varies throughout the season.

Movies in the park: meet you @ Coolidge Park every Saturday night in July for a free movie. Sponsored by First Things First designed to strengthen the family. Did I mention FREE? Bring a blanket and relax!

Chesterfrost Park: great sandy beach and a nice playground for the kiddies. There is no concession but someone sets up a little area with icees, candy and such on the pavillion. Restrooms are suprisingly clean! This is what I call summer fun! Bring a cooler and a portable grill and make a day of it. FREE!

Downtown: near the TN Aquarium there is a great walkway to the river with a cool shooting fountain and water steps to play in. In front of the Aquarium there is a great waterplay area built in the sidewalk, kinda like a mini canal that is a great spot to hang out and cool off. We sometimes cross the river on the walking bridge to the North Shore for some ice cream! Don't forget the fountain @ Coolidge Park and the grassy area for some soccer. Cruise the electric shuttles from the ChooChoo to make this an even more exciting cheap adventure!

Lake Winnie: If you are feeling like splurgin' head on down to this amusement park just over the GA line from East Ridge. On Fridays, get a 2-for-1 savings on unlimited rides ($20) if you bring in a Coke can. Entry is $5 per person, children 11 and under FREE. This is a small park with alot of charm. One of the US's oldest wooden roller coasters and a lake with some of the largest fish I have ever seen. Now these guys LOVE popcorn! The food is decent but I have to say I live for their funnelcakes!

Of course we have tons of areas to hike and sight-see as well. Pack a picnic and cruise the mountain tops. You just never know what you might see.

This is not all that we have to offer here. We also have Ruby Falls and Rock City for a nice afternoon. And don't forget the Ocoee for rafting if you wanna head outta town a bit.

I am sure I have left something out but it's a Monday, so here ya go lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 09:09 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,024 times
wow! this looks like the place to be--can't wait to join the fun

Old 08-21-2007, 03:04 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,897 times
jkmewright - When we visited Chattanooga this past July, we were only in the area for one night. My wife and I run and thought we would catch the trail that we heard so much about near downtown. We must have missed it, cause we couldn't find it. Is the trail on the downtown side or across the river? Does it start at Ross's Landing and could you give me a few landmarks to find it easier?

Old 08-21-2007, 06:37 AM

Grizzly, sorry you didn't have much luck but I think I can help. The trail is on the downtown side of the river. The best place to find is it to cross Riverfront Parkway @ Chestnut (near aquarium). This is a 4-6 lane but the lights are pedestrian friendly. Here's a google link to it. You can actually see where it follows Riverfront Pkwy for a bit and a very cool area near the Bluff View (see squiggles) and a glass pedestrian bridge. This map is a bit old so you can't see the glass bridge but it's very neat.

Tennessee Riverpark - Google Maps

You can also get to it from Amnicola Hwy just past the Dupont Pkwy exit. Very nice park and an great deli, Out of the Blue, that has the BEST chicken salad croissants with fresh fruit on the side. Here's a link to that end:

I am sure you can find it and will enjoy yourselves. It's well kept and clean so except for a bit of fishy smell it will be great

Old 08-22-2007, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Grizzly, sorry you didn't have much luck but I think I can help. The trail is on the downtown side of the river. The best place to find is it to cross Riverfront Parkway @ Chestnut (near aquarium). This is a 4-6 lane but the lights are pedestrian friendly. Here's a google link to it. You can actually see where it follows Riverfront Pkwy for a bit and a very cool area near the Bluff View (see squiggles) and a glass pedestrian bridge. This map is a bit old so you can't see the glass bridge but it's very neat.

You can also get to it from Amnicola Hwy just past the Dupont Pkwy exit. Very nice park and an great deli, Out of the Blue, that has the BEST chicken salad croissants with fresh fruit on the side. Here's a link to that end:

I am sure you can find it and will enjoy yourselves. It's well kept and clean so except for a bit of fishy smell it will be great
Looking at the first map, I recognize that. On the far right side of the map, there is a really windy sidewalk, but that just seems to end and not really running friendly. Should we have kept going or(as your facing this map) sghould we have run to the left?

Old 08-22-2007, 07:31 AM

Grizzly, keep going that way (right). It will take you approximately 10 miles to Chickamauga dam. Left will not take you far at all.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Grizzly, keep going that way (right). It will take you approximately 10 miles to Chickamauga dam. Left will not take you far at all.
We should have kept going. Thanks for the tip. We don't cross the bridge, we stay on the Chattanooga side, correct?

Old 08-23-2007, 06:19 AM

Yes, don't cross the bridge until you get back and need some refreshments lol

Old 02-11-2009, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 15,759 times
Also Nightfall in Miller Plaza on Market at 9th or MLK (same st.) from May until Sept from 7 to 9:30 pm has free live music and beer/food vendors.

Riverbend, 2nd week in June for 10 days - live music, four stages, about 40$ for a 10-day pass.

Boating on the river, pull up to the downtown riverfront and go eat, etc., see the mtns from the best view around Moccasin Bend and Baylor.

Chatt. Market on Sun. for local vendors and music - free, most months of the yr. open.

Lookouts games.

Creative discovery Museum, Hunter Art Museum, IMax, Aquarium, etc.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:45 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,728 times
Quote:
do as the 'noogans do

Head to Boyd's Speedway, a drag strip and dirt track in East Ridge. Cost per person $5. This is some real home grown fun. Concession stand with the typical cheesy nachos, pickles, candy and coke. We love this place.

Sanctuary Skate Park: $8 per person, $5 helmet rental ($2 entry if you lol
I believe Boyd's is a dirt track only.

There is a drag strip near by though just across the GA border off 75.

For skating, I believe there is a skating rink on the West side of town, can you tell me anything about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga