Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 01:03 PM

23 posts, read 138,966 times

Advertisements

Hello all - as our Move to Tennesee adventure continues, we're looking at Cleveland and Athens and would also like to consider Chattanooga.

"Big City" isn't necessarily our favorite style, but it does come with some perks that may tempt us to buy there.

Looking through the MLS there are a good number of good-looking listings for our modest budget - obviously Chattanooga like any city will have its higher-crime areas and we'd like to avoid the worst of those.

If anyone has any recommendations for areas to avoid when looking for a home to buy, I'd appreciate it and we can start to narrow down our list.

I know I'll be able to tell more when we make our buying trip out there - bad neighborhoods tend to have their own tell-tale signs, and we're always comfortable approaching the police department, too, to ask their advice.

Schools are not overly important as we homeschool, but of course a horrible school district affects resale value so is of some interest to us for that reason.

Commute traffic is not an issue, we have a home-based business and can avoid high-traffic times of day.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 02:40 PM

611 posts, read 1,998,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genteelhart View Post
Hello all - as our Move to Tennesee adventure continues, we're looking at Cleveland and Athens and would also like to consider Chattanooga.

"Big City" isn't necessarily our favorite style, but it does come with some perks that may tempt us to buy there.

Looking through the MLS there are a good number of good-looking listings for our modest budget - obviously Chattanooga like any city will have its higher-crime areas and we'd like to avoid the worst of those.

If anyone has any recommendations for areas to avoid when looking for a home to buy, I'd appreciate it and we can start to narrow down our list.

I know I'll be able to tell more when we make our buying trip out there - bad neighborhoods tend to have their own tell-tale signs, and we're always comfortable approaching the police department, too, to ask their advice.

Schools are not overly important as we homeschool, but of course a horrible school district affects resale value so is of some interest to us for that reason.

Commute traffic is not an issue, we have a home-based business and can avoid high-traffic times of day.

Thanks!
What types of areas are you looking for and what price range? Urban, Rural, Subdivisions, Close to Downtown, smaller communities?

Old 03-30-2011, 02:48 PM

We're looking for a neighborhood where shootings, muggings, and significant property crime are considered somewhat unusual events, not expected daily or weekly or even monthly happenings.

Other than that, we're flexible, so I'm trying to figure out where NOT to buy more than where TO buy.

Once we're out there, we can better narrow down what we like about each neighborhood, and if I can eliminate some of the contenders in advance because there are weekly shootings there, that would be awesome.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:02 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
Well, I'm biased. We live in Harrison - off of Harrison Bay Road, and we love it. We have a little bit of land (~4 acres). It's quiet and our biggest problem is woodchucks burrowing in our barn. Life is good.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:09 PM

611 posts, read 1,998,469 times
Quote:
We're looking for a neighborhood where shootings, muggings, and significant property crime are considered somewhat unusual events, not expected daily or weekly or even monthly happenings.

Other than that, we're flexible, so I'm trying to figure out where NOT to buy more than where TO buy.

Once we're out there, we can better narrow down what we like about each neighborhood, and if I can eliminate some of the contenders in advance because there are weekly shootings there, that would be awesome.
Some areas of town you may want to focus on because of the things you mentioned are:

North Chattanooga, Signal Mountain, Lookout Mountain, Hixson, Soddy Daisy, E Brainerd, Collegedale, Ooltewah.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Well, I'm biased. We live in Harrison - off of Harrison Bay Road, and we love it. We have a little bit of land (~4 acres). It's quiet and our biggest problem is woodchucks burrowing in our barn. Life is good.
Hey, and we have a Jack Russell terrier who would be glad to take care of any woodchucks we might encounter!

I know overall we're just going to need to make a list off the MLS and start driving neighborhoods, day and night.

My husband is retired law enforcement, so he knows even better than the average house-shopper what to look for as far as "problem areas" and of course we'll check with the PD, too.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:26 PM

13 posts, read 44,217 times
Signal Mountain has barely any crime and has a great homeschool network, including a theater group, science and history fairs, group field trips, etc. And it's one of the friendliest small towns I've ever experienced!

Old 03-31-2011, 03:00 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
Quote:
Hey, and we have a Jack Russell terrier who would be glad to take care of any woodchucks we might encounter!

I know overall we're just going to need to make a list off the MLS and start driving neighborhoods, day and night.

My husband is retired law enforcement, so he knows even better than the average house-shopper what to look for as far as "problem areas" and of course we'll check with the PD, too.
Yeah, the woodchucks aren't intimidated by our house cats! hahaha

I wouldn't dismiss Harrison either. There are people on the forums and in town who don't give much credit to our area, but it's nice, rural, and quiet. It feels like a long way out, but it only takes 15 minutes to get to 153 and you pass banks, grocery stores, restaurants, and a Goodwill! to get there. No malls or Super Walmarts out here = much less traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga