Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2016, 05:15 AM

91 posts, read 136,115 times

Advertisements

What are the most commonly used search engines to find employment in the Waynesboro/Charlottesville areas? We are moving next year from Michigan - my husband has a CDL B and currently drives a waste management truck, and I will be looking for employment in the medical field. I currently subscribe to the digital e-editions of the News Virginian and the Daily Progress, but the jobs section under Classifieds seems a little lacking. Any insight is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 01:58 PM

382 posts, read 867,504 times
Hello again,
For medical you'd do better going directly to hospital websites or doctors offices, check Augusta Health, UVA Health Systems, Sentara(they have Harrisonburg & Charlottesville hospitals), and Carilion (they are based in Roanoke but have a number of doctors offices in the area). Search local nursing homes also, if you want that route. We have more than enough nursing homes around and they are always looking for help. Once you get in somewhere the opportunities will be easier to find, word of mouth works better around here.

Your husband will find work instantly, there are tons of CDL jobs. Waste Management had an office in Harrisonburg, maybe a transfer, if possible. We have FedEx, UPS, Wilson trucking, construction companies, and the cities always seem to have jobs that require at least a Class B.

In know is a bit more leg work, but I hope this is a start for you.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:51 PM

Thank you!

I actually went on a few sites today - I kind of figured I would need go to the direct websites of the hospitals, it's the same way here. But you helped reassure me that my husband would not have a problem finding a job, which was a concern due to the fact he is looking for a "route" job and really does not know the area. He works in waste management, at Rizzo Services which is Michigan based, but you gave me a good head start! I will try Indeed search engine too, and thanks again!!

Old 08-19-2016, 09:20 AM

Your welcome, there is also a Coca-Cola(in Staunton ), Pepsi (in Weyers Cave), and multiple beer distribution companies(Dodd, Virginia Eagle) that could work for your husband too. Word of note, check the Virginia DMV website (dmvnow.com) for everything your husband will need to bring so he doesn't run into problems transfering his CDL, if he's missing stuff when he arrives at the counter they won't help him at all.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:51 PM

Awesome, thank you! Gaining from your name that you are also in the medical field, I'm looking at Martha Jefferson Sentara and also UVA - your thoughts on the hospitals? It looks like UVA is pretty big compared to other hospitals in the area. Would you prefer one over the other for employment?

Anita

Old 08-20-2016, 05:17 PM

You are correct on your guess, but please forgive my not disclosing my employer.

UVA- Is a state run hospital, the Level 1 trauma hospital for the area an covers about a 100 mile radius for trauma receiving(including parts of West Virginia). Main benefits there are it is always growing and there are state retirement benefits available and discounts on classes at UVA, if u want some college credits. It will also put you in the state employees only job pool for other jobs around Virginia. Parking is a nightmare and even employees pay for the garage closest to the hospital for them, if not, you park 2 miles away at the coliseum at take a UVA system bus.

Sentara- A large, private hospital system with most locations in Tidewater area (Virginia Beach area). Don't know about their benefits but you can easily transfer to other hospitals they own. Most people I know in the Harrisonburg location like it, but i hear they really watch the overtime. The Martha Jefferson location is much slower paced than UVA and most of the upper class in that area go there for their care.

If you like busy, lots of med students, and kind of a pain to get too, then UVA. Martha is a lot prettier, more spaced out and not 9 floors high like UVA. It really comes down to the benefits though in my opinion.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:08 AM

This is extremely helpful - I really appreciate your honesty and insight. And of course I respect your privacy in regards to employer, I hope you don't feel I was pressing you for that. I was just trying to get a feel for the hospitals, and you were able to provide that, thank you!

Old 08-22-2016, 02:53 PM

No worries at all, I'm just glad I'm actually helping out. Good luck on the move, any more questions I'm only a thread away.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:47 PM

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville