Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 11:17 AM

13 posts, read 23,302 times

Advertisements

I might be moving to Virginia, and my job offer is in Charlottesville. I was wondering what the best place around Charlottesville would be. I would like a commute within 50 minutes, and somewhere with a lower cost of living. I have heard that Charlottesville is very liberal so I was wondering of any places (within 50 minutes of the city) that were conservative.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 06:17 PM

382 posts, read 868,739 times
Any county surrounding Albemarle will do. Augusta, Greene, Orange, Nelson, Fluvanna & Louisa Counties. All listed have many commuters to Charlottesville every day and can have a lower cost of living on average. They all have a lot to offer and I'm sorry to say you still have a lot of homework. Depending on what your likes are away from work will play a huge role on which county/area to look closer at.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:48 PM

419 posts, read 903,355 times
With the limited info presented I say---> Waynesboro!

Old 01-21-2014, 06:17 PM

895 posts, read 2,097,702 times
You might also consider Amherst County, where you are less than 50 minutes, but have easy, fast access to Lynchburg.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:34 PM

114 posts, read 171,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCA View Post
I might be moving to Virginia, and my job offer is in Charlottesville. I was wondering what the best place around Charlottesville would be. I would like a commute within 50 minutes, and somewhere with a lower cost of living. I have heard that Charlottesville is very liberal so I was wondering of any places (within 50 minutes of the city) that were conservative.

Thank you.
A shame all of those evil tax and spend liberal areas are where the majority of jobs are...Based off of fox news, I thought they were all cesspools of welfare queens.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:49 AM

895 posts, read 2,097,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wood View Post
A shame all of those evil tax and spend liberal areas are where the majority of jobs are...Based off of fox news, I thought they were all cesspools of welfare queens.
I guess when most jobs are provided by the government, an area can't be too bad off.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:22 AM

147 posts, read 284,263 times
although not sure i get why you would opt for a longer commute to each their own. try shortpump in richmond. Not sure how that area swings politically it gives you more options

Old 01-30-2014, 05:29 PM

3 posts, read 16,264 times
On the good side, Short Pump is 55 minutes off 64 to Charlottesville exit, on the bad, inside Charlottesville it can take a half hour to get anywhere. If you can skip your Charlottesville visit and get a job elsewhere, I'd say you'd be better off.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:53 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,828,212 times
Are there areas of Albemarle County where you can get a single family home on an acre or so for under $200k? I tried looking on Realtor.com but I'm not sure of the towns. When you put in Charlottesville, not much comes up at that price range (understandably) but I know there's a lot of small towns around C-ville that might be cheaper and have some land.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:04 AM

29 posts, read 57,991 times
Default Go out

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Are there areas of Albemarle County where you can get a single family home on an acre or so for under $200k? I tried looking on Realtor.com but I'm not sure of the towns. When you put in Charlottesville, not much comes up at that price range (understandably) but I know there's a lot of small towns around C-ville that might be cheaper and have some land.
You'll be hard pressed to come up with something like that for under $200K. You have a better shot up in Greene, Orange, & Madison Counties (each about 30-50 minutes north/northwest of Charlottesville City depending on exactly where). The rule of thumb is the further you get from Charlottesville City the less expensive it gets. Try MyCAAR.com (the local real estate search engine which I've found to be a good resource). Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville