Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:13 PM

895 posts, read 2,095,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCities View Post
Considering charlottesville is in the top 15 metros in terms of restaurants per-capita, I would expect a high number of service jobs. Oh, and it's more than just Bob Evans Golden Corral, which is what I'm guessing passes for fine dining in the burg.
Quote:
I apologize, I confused Crozet for Ruckersville.. My comments were directed at Ruckersville.
Give it up. You call it confusion, I'll say its brashness, but you obviously aren't as familiar with the area as you want us to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 04:29 PM

27 posts, read 36,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Give it up. You call it confusion, I'll say its brashness, but you obviously aren't as familiar with the area as you want us to think.
I haven't lived full-time in cville for several years, but still spend probably a combined month out of every year visiting family and friends. I've only stopped in Lynchburg once and witnessed a hate crime, so there's that I suppose.

Also, I find it odd that you seem to hang out and chime in on any Charlottesville evaluation thread with negative things to say at every chance. I stop by this forum to try to keep up to date with local happenings, although there's more of this crap than anything useful on here.

There's a reason there's a Charlottesville subforum and none for that trash heap down south, and you know it every bit as much as I do. Enjoy it!

Old 02-20-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I haven't lived full-time in cville for several years, but still spend probably a combined month out of every year visiting family and friends. I've only stopped in Lynchburg once and witnessed a hate crime, so there's that I suppose.

Also, I find it odd that you seem to hang out and chime in on any Charlottesville evaluation thread with negative things to say at every chance. I stop by this forum to try to keep up to date with local happenings, although there's more of this crap than anything useful on here.

There's a reason there's a Charlottesville subforum and none for that trash heap down south, and you know it every bit as much as I do. Enjoy it!
Thanks for adding to the crap...and thanks for the chuckle!

Old 02-20-2014, 08:51 PM

27 posts, read 36,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
I have not read the Forbes article, so I can not comment on that.

If a blogger in Charlottesville says something is beautiful, that his good for her/him. The term "urban space in this region (followed by Lynchburg...strikes me as a bit odd. Sure there are some fantastic buildings on Church St and Main St, but downtown is hardly the Charlottesville Downtown mall. (Lynchburg has more interesting buildings, but too many are empty, boarded up or houses a flea market). There are few things of beauty in Lynchburg. (as for scenic mountains OUTSIDE the town, sure)

Believe me, if I could make myself love or even like this place like you do, I would.

A lot of nations that are growing, are rather underdeveloped countries. How much of Lynchburg's growth is due to low real estate prices that can benefit someone who has been working in an area where salaries is higher, and now retires and prefers a religious conservative region.

Lets say that this town had live music similar to Cville, significantly less of the religion and guns stuff, the downtown area was fixed up, less drab neighborhoods, less confederate flag waiving, proper museums (yes, I know Randolph College has a Whistler and some other lesser known works by famous artists), stores like Express or Banana Republic, something like Cvilles Skybar (above Commonwealth Restaurant ).....and, yes that the town was nice to look at. Sure Boonsboro has some impressive homes, and Whyndhurst isn't as drab as many other parts of town, but what I see is a small religious town with mostly brick ranch style houses. I know you will tell me I am oh so wrong, possibly borderline mental......soon I will jump in my car and in a while find myself driving down Campbell Ave, sorry I just can't find that very inspiring, beautiful or energizing. Later today I will drive up be driving up Lakeside Drive and/or Memorial. What is so beautiful about that?
Now Mr Jonas has given us an accurate description of the vibrant area that is lynchburg! I especially like these accurate quotes:
  1. Lets say that this town had live music similar to Cville, significantly less of the religion and guns stuff, the downtown area was fixed up, less drab neighborhoods, less confederate flag waiving, proper museums
  2. If a blogger in Charlottesville says something is beautiful, that his good for her/him. The term "urban space in this region (followed by Lynchburg...strikes me as a bit odd. Sure there are some fantastic buildings on Church St and Main St, but downtown is hardly the Charlottesville Downtown mall. (Lynchburg has more interesting buildings, but too many are empty, boarded up or houses a flea market). There are few things of beauty in Lynchburg. (as for scenic mountains OUTSIDE the town, sure)
  3. stores like Express or Banana Republic, something like Cvilles Skybar (above Commonwealth Restaurant ).....and, yes that the town was nice to look at.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Now Mr Jonas has given us an accurate description of the vibrant area that is lynchburg! I especially like these accurate quotes:
  1. Lets say that this town had live music similar to Cville, significantly less of the religion and guns stuff, the downtown area was fixed up, less drab neighborhoods, less confederate flag waiving, proper museums
  2. If a blogger in Charlottesville says something is beautiful, that his good for her/him. The term "urban space in this region (followed by Lynchburg...strikes me as a bit odd. Sure there are some fantastic buildings on Church St and Main St, but downtown is hardly the Charlottesville Downtown mall. (Lynchburg has more interesting buildings, but too many are empty, boarded up or houses a flea market). There are few things of beauty in Lynchburg. (as for scenic mountains OUTSIDE the town, sure)
  3. stores like Express or Banana Republic, something like Cvilles Skybar (above Commonwealth Restaurant ).....and, yes that the town was nice to look at.
Before reading too deeply into Jonas' comments, look at more of his posts. No one is arguing that Lynchburg is better than Charlottesville. With the amount of money that flows from the government and from the more than 20k students at UVa, Cville should have more amenities than Lynchburg and even Roanoke, a city more than twice the size. This is typical of most college towns- Chapel Hill, for example. This all is based on a simple correction of someone's comparison of Cville, DC, and Lynchburg, and this, based on size. It was incorrect and still is- density is not the deciding factor as to whether or not a city is wonderful, viable, respectable, etc. I haven't suggested that Charlottesville is an awful place; there are some things about Cville that I find distasteful (mostly the attitudes), but I do like the area. After all, I know it better than many locals, having worked in the city and surrounding county since 1993.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:05 AM

10 posts, read 14,095 times
The great thing about Charlottesville is that it's VERY VERY walkable. Simply park your car and use your legs to get where you need. Traffic can be a bit busy, around peak hours, but it's really completely avoidable. Whenever we go there, we either walk from the hotel to our destination (last time we stayed on Emmete St N at the English Inn). Or if we're just making a day trip we'll park on Monticello Avenue and walk from there.

I think you find the reason why it's so crowded at the weekend is because it's so close to lots of really busy cities and towns... DC area, Richmond, Virginia Beach... so people from those places like to go there for a weekend escape (like me). It's also near one of the biggest tourist destinations in the USA for people from all over the world... the national park. In addition there are lots of cultural events that draw people in too.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:42 PM

4 posts, read 11,251 times
As much as I am inclined to tout the virtues of Cville - my home for over 30 years - I think that Stanardsville is worth looking at for you. You can get to Cville in about 35 minutes, and to Harrisonburg in not much more than that. Stanardsville is clearly Small Townish - but far better than traveling to PA. It has charm, history, gorgeous views, and is not far from anywhere.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:54 PM

60 posts, read 266,258 times
I am familiar with Collegeville and wish I was living there! Cville is poorly planned, dysfunctional and over priced. Staunton (pronounced as Stanton) and Harrisonburg are much more affordable and desirable for a place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville