Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2006, 04:58 PM

14 posts, read 91,649 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Charlottesville and would like some info about schools, neighborhoods. I'm AA with 2 children ages 12 & 5 so schools are very important. I'm looking for diversity. My husband is a truck driver. Any info would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2006, 12:45 AM

5 posts, read 64,761 times
Jerseygirl,

C'Ville is a great area !! Schools are good, community is awesome, but it comes with a price tag.

Albermarle county ( Surrounding C'ville ) is the 2nd most expensive county in Virginia !! I would consider looking into some surrounding counties that have GREAT schools and it is only a small commute to C'Ville.

My family is from the Charlottesville area although I am in Va. Beach, where I call home. Look at Fluvanna county or Greene county. GREAT communities that are affordable !! Orange county isnt bad either, The best may be Madison county, a short hike down route 29 to C'Ville, but that area has grown and has become a most sought after area.

The Daily progress is the local Charlottesville paper, you may want to see what they have to offer !!

Good Luck and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:26 AM

Default VA taxes

Can you give me any info on VA taxes? I'm looking for a rough estimate of yearly property taxes and info on car insurance. I know just about everywhere is cheaper than NJ, but I'd like to have an idea. Also, I heard that some states require you to pay a yearly vehicle tax. Does VA have that and do you also pay a vehicle registration fee? If so, about how much does it run?

I appreciate any help anyone can give.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 8,286 times
i dont know about property taxes (dont own) but car insurance in the richmond area (and probably cville too) is one of the lowest in the country.
you do have to pay a yearly vehicle tax, but its not that bad. it was only like 4 dollars for my car because its old, lol.
you do have to pay a registration fee for vehicles too. i think its around 30 dollars maybe?

Old 04-08-2006, 07:43 AM

19 posts, read 202,159 times
Default Charlottesville

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Can you give me any info on VA taxes? I'm looking for a rough estimate of yearly property taxes and info on car insurance. I know just about everywhere is cheaper than NJ, but I'd like to have an idea. Also, I heard that some states require you to pay a yearly vehicle tax. Does VA have that and do you also pay a vehicle registration fee? If so, about how much does it run?

I appreciate any help anyone can give.
A rough estimate on property taxes for the Charlottesville area is $11.00 per thousand dollars of assessed value on a home. Ex. - a house valued at $150,000 would roughly be taxed at $1650 dollars per year. Of course where you live in that county, how much house you buy and living closer to the center of Charlottesville versus outside the area will change those numbers a bit. Car insurance is cheap (in comparison). I previously lived in Mass and Florida and I'm paying 1/3 the price of those two states. Again roughly around $375 per year. There is property taxes on vehicles too here, approximately $4.20 per $100 of assessed vehicle. Again a fairly small amount. And of course a vehicle registration fee of $30 per year.

Hope the info helps.

My numbers are pretty accurate because I have recently been looking to move to that area as well (Charlottesville) from just SW of Richmond.... Chesterfield Va.

Good luck.

Last edited by Zipperhead; 04-08-2006 at 07:46 AM..

Old 04-12-2006, 07:04 PM

Are the assessed rates in in Charlottesville similar to the sale price? I ask because in DE I saw townhouses selling for $200,000 but they were only assessed at $40 - $50,000.

Thanks for the info.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:39 PM

Default Assessed tax rates

Quote:
Are the assessed rates in in Charlottesville similar to the sale price? I ask because in DE I saw townhouses selling for $200,000 but they were only assessed at $40 - $50,000.

Thanks for the info.
Assessed rates in Charlottesville, Va are as follows, copied and pasted today from their website.

The City of Charlottesville real estate tax rate, set by City Council, is $1.05 per $100 dollars of value (1.05%) as of tax year 2005.

All I can tell you is from my experiences living in Mass, Florida and now Virginia is that homes I have purchased and lived in, in those states, have all been assessed at roughly 2/3 of the purchase price. I think thats pretty much the "norm". So that would mean if you purchased a $200,000 dollar home in Charlottesville, Va. your property taxes may very well be $10.50 x 126 or roughly $1,323 per year. Again, thats ASSUMING the property is assessed at 2/3 the purchase price. That would be a $200,000 dollar home assessed at 2/3 the purchase price or $126,000 assessed value.

Hope that helps. But I would keep in mind Charlottesville, I think, is the second highest county in Virginia as far as home pricing goes. So not sure how much house that buys you in that area. Check Removed for a better idea for home prices. Its pretty easy to use.

Great place to live, but you pay for where you live, and what you get!!

Good luck.

Last edited by Yac; 04-13-2006 at 03:57 AM..

Old 04-14-2006, 08:11 PM

How is Chesterfield? I'm looking for an area that is diverse with decent schools. I'm not looking for alot of night life but I would like to be near an area where I can see a concert once in a while and go to summer festivals. I like suburban towns with a downtown area and where you might find a corner store or a park at the end of block - I hate all those new cookie-cutter developments. What other areas in VA do you know about?

Thanks

Old 04-16-2006, 04:41 PM

Default Cookie Cutters Galore ...

Quote:
How is Chesterfield? I'm looking for an area that is diverse with decent schools. I'm not looking for alot of night life but I would like to be near an area where I can see a concert once in a while and go to summer festivals. I like suburban towns with a downtown area and where you might find a corner store or a park at the end of block - I hate all those new cookie-cutter developments. What other areas in VA do you know about?

Thanks
Its really all relative in what you like. Chesterfield on a whole? Nice place. A bit too quiet for my likings. But really nice people here, friendly, helpful for the most part. But not exactly what I am use to, having lived in Mass, most of my life. Here? Its cookie cutters galore. All the subdisions look different in comparison (one to the other - style wise). But inside each sub you get maybe 3 or 4 style homes and the assorted color schemes. Sorry if that burst your bubble. But , thats the way it is here.
One "main drag" ......a sprawling 8 lane road named Hull St. or route 360. 4 lanes of traffic going east .....4 lanes going west. Then they build the subdivisions off that main road. I think its like that pretty much everywhere in Chesterfield.
Diversity ? Yep ....you do get that wish. Great schools. You get that wish too. I currently have an 8 & 10 year old in the school system; and I'm totally pleased with what and how they teach here. No just slipping through the cracks here. Kids learn. Love that part.
The other thing I noticed, living here for a year now? Is ....its a big county. Things are spaced out here. No corner stores. Just 7 / 11 type places. Parks? Not like your talking about. (the little ones on the corners). Here .....they are again, spaced out. Plan on doing some driving to get from point A ...to point B........smiles. Another of my pet peeves here is? There doesn't seem to be enough fun things for teens to do. There is a bowling alley (woopie), a mini gof place and the movie theaters. But not really much more. As for grown ups? You can go to the theater, see a play, nice restaurants in downtown Richmond. It does have a tag of being the 5th worst crime city in the entire country. But I have been there a number of times and havent had any problems.

All that said? Depending on exactly what style your looking to live. You may love it here......or hate it here.

Other places to consider? Charlottesville, Midlothian, Bon Air, Glen Allen, Short Pump are all nice areas.
Continued good luck. Its a hard decision to make. I would suggest though .......you come visit if you can first.....nothing like seeing a place live.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 25,341 times
Chesterfield is okay but I would consider some place on the other side of the River. I live in Henrico and find it more exciting then chesterfield. Look somewhere in Richmond from" the Fan" radiating out West to Northwestward. The schools in Henrico are very good West of Brook Road. Freeman, Godwin, and Deep Run very good schools with Hermitage and Tucker not far behind. If you look anywhere else I might say Charlettesville possibly VA Beach however not a big fan of Hampton Roads 'culture'. I might also recommend some places in NC like Raleigh-Durham, Chapel Hill, Winston Salem or Ashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville