Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 03:37 PM

35 posts, read 92,193 times

Advertisements

Could you please recommend some upscale areas close to Charlottesville that have large acre properties, (possibly horse farms but not required)? We'd like to stay within 20 minutes or so of Charlottesville. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 06:32 AM

419 posts, read 902,930 times
Many estates throughout Albemarle county and most of them will be within 30 minutes of C-ville.
Also a good number of tracts of land also available.
Depending on the tolerable commute portions of Nelson and the other surrounding counties have land tracts and farms/homes/estates with at least that much land.
The price will be significant.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:35 AM

Also not sure what your definition of upscale is but in the western Albemarle area along Garth road, 250, and around the Crozet areas there are estates like Ramsey, Oakbrook ( I think) etc for sale. I believe Ramsey is listed for 7.9 million. I would classify this as upscale. Ivy area as well but not sure there are many 50+ properties for sale.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:34 PM

Thanks Gregir. Could you or anyone shed some light on the noticeable differences, if any, between the areas of Free Union, Stanardsville, Louisa, and Nelson County? (other than location) Thanks!

Old 04-09-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake2502 View Post
Thanks Gregir. Could you or anyone shed some light on the noticeable differences, if any, between the areas of Free Union, Stanardsville, Louisa, and Nelson County? (other than location) Thanks!
Free Union tends to be hilly with open pastures and good spacing between homes and properties. It is north of Garth road and there are a coupe of rivers that pass throughout. I think the moormans and mechum are the names but I am not sure.
Nelson county ranges from relatively steep mountainside int he central to western part of the county and up to Afton. There areas in that regions that have open Fields and glades. The creeks run generally west to east and meet with the Tye or Rockfish to flow into the James. There are a lot of ridge and valley sections with acreage varying from mountain timber to open field. The rest of the county varies fro this to more open level meadow areas between less imposing mountains. This is mostly toward the est and south. Toward the east and north it ranges from steeps to open depending on locations and rivers proximity.

I am currently living in White Hall closer to Free union and in the heart of Nelson county on Davis creek. (Got married this summer and the wife's home is in White Hall and mine is in Davis Creek. Ours will be Davis Creek once school situations resolve.) Nelson seems more folksy and open but I know more people there so i am probably biased. Albemarle area around Free Union hold some close Friends and I have not encountered any really unpleasant people. I think both are great.

Dont know enough about the others to offer any kind of valid opinion. If you have ore specific questions let me know.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:03 PM

279 posts, read 482,467 times
I can't wait to move back to the area, I am stuck in Raleigh NC now but my hometown is Crozet. Any way, Nelson County is less populated than Albemarle County, if that's what you like. But they are both very beautiful counties, White Hall is a cool little country town. Also check out Boonesville, it's a very secluded town, (if you can call it that) down county road 810 in Albemarle County, also check out Doylesville, it's in between White Hall and Boonesville. If you would like to get a littler farther out, I would recommend looking at property down hwy 151 or route 56 near Crab Tree Falls in Nelson County, it's very pretty country out that way and quite remote for Central Virginia. I would recommend you hike Spy Rock if you move to the area, its got the best view in all of Virginia imho.

The most upscale town in the area though imo is the Greenwood area in Albemarle County, it is about 5 to 10 minutes away from Crozet but is very beautiful and there are quite some upscale properties in that area. Look up Mirador Farm, it's down 250 in Greenwood. And look up Blue Ridge Farm down Ortman Road, there very upscale properties and there could be some properties like them for sale near by. Good luck to you. And if you decide to move to the area don't forget to drop in and invite us to your moving in party! lol

Old 04-09-2012, 08:16 PM

Thanks so much to both of you! We are excited to explore the areas, and this is such helpful info to get us going. I really appreciate it!!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:38 PM

279 posts, read 482,467 times
Another thing you should do if you move to the area is drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway, it's a 469 mile scenic drive through Virginia and North Carolina. Stop by Humpback Rock, it's about 10 miles from the start of the drive heading South.

http://www.discoverlynchburg.org/pcms/photos/BlueRidgeParkwayblueridgemountains12jpg.jpg (broken link) Pic of the parkway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN71sYEd-Lk Spy Rock in Nelson County during the fall. It's prettier in the Summer though.

Just curious, where are you moving from?

Last edited by Marka; 10-28-2012 at 03:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville