Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 09:46 AM

3 posts, read 15,388 times

Advertisements

Thought I would try to get a feel for what is out there so we can arrange setup.

1. Cable other than Dish Network/Direct TV? Ultimately I will want a good sports package.

2. Need a good Internet Service Provider with good reliability and speeds.

3. Currently have AT&T for cell phone service but heard whispers that AT&T stinks in Charlottesville? Is there a provider that is generally thought of as the best in Charlottesville? What about statewide and travelling on roads?

4. Any other advice for moving from out of state? Resources? Thanks!

Any help or advice is appreciated!!! Just trying to get a head start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 12:52 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,844,967 times
I don't know if they have sports packages, but Centurylink (formerly Embarq) provides cable, DSL and home phone services and seems to be THE cable provider in town. Can't help with cell phone service, except to say that it may depend on where you live. I have friends west and south of Charlottesville who live in virtual cell deadzones.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:27 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,227,065 times
We live in the Zion Crossroads area & have an AT&T cellphone & several Verizon phones.
Verizon has much better coverage.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:05 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,227,065 times
In the town of Louisa, and some nearby areas, Comcast is the cable provider.

If you don't live in a city/town where cable is available, you will likely have to use a satellite provider like Dish or Direct TV.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:42 PM

3 posts, read 15,388 times
Thank you for all the replies.

Since we had Dish in Texas we were hoping to use it here but it looks like we won't have line of sight. The price you pay for nice trees!

Is there anything out there other than Comcast?

Thanks again.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:50 AM

9 posts, read 11,433 times
I think comcast ownes the area They aren't too bad. A little annoyances here & there but ok overall with cable; I also use them for high-speed internet, not too bad either but you don't get the highest speed service even though you pay for it - I suppose if you live in an apartment complex it's slower since they splice all the apt. lines....but it's a decently ok speed & varies on a daily basis from upload & download times. I think if we had a house it'd be more worth the money but we'll keep it Our bill comes to around $115/mo. We get SHO, HBO, STRZ, HD, High-speed Internet.

I use Verizon for my wireless & have for about 5 years ever since getting a cell phone. A couple months ago I upgraded to the Droid2 & changed my plan to the 450 everywhere minutes, $29.99 flat internet rate, unlimited text/photo msgs, & pay about $87/mo. They have great coverage, I've always had a decent customer service experience, & haven't had any dropped calls. I can even get service in the mountains until I get real far in where I've taken my jeep wheeling & then I run into lost service but we're talking in Shoe Creek & that's very expected. My father has AT&T & has to take his scooter outside to get any kind of service & we live right in Charlottesville - he's wants to switch under my plan because he's so sick of his service but will cost him $175 cancel fee that's under my brother's AT&T plan.

Last edited by CoffeeRoll; 09-18-2010 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: Left out type of plan & cell phone....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville