Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:38 AM
MKW MKW started this thread

40 posts, read 160,411 times

Advertisements

I have a potential job lined up in Charlotte on Trade Street. I will be moving to NC from Southern California.

It will be me (27), my wife (26) and 1 yr old daughter coming and we are not sure where we should be looking. Since the job is smack dap in the middle of Charlotte we can go in any direction.

We hear nothing but good things about Union County, but Meklenberg sounds good too. Other than those areas I am totally oblivious as to what is around.

Schools are very important to us as well as a decent sized yard. Safety is important as well, but that goes without saying.

Our budget is $175k to $225k

Any advice or direction would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 11:35 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
Depends on what commute you are looking for (though anything is better than SoCal). Also try over the state line in Fort Mill, Sc (York County). Excellent schools, rough commute to tarde st, though there are alternate routes.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Hi look up Huntersville 28078 it a nice bedroom community of charlotte has low crime rates new and resale homes and quite a bit your price range I saw up the street from me 3 bedroom 2200 sq ft for 225k it about 3 to 4 houses up from the community pool

Huntersville takes about 25 min to 30 minutes to get uptown during rush hour and about 20 regular hours.

Alot of uptown workers take the express bus that has reclining seats and foot rests to ride the hov lane and take away of head ache of traffic.

It sits between two lakes ample amount of parks and an aquatics center loads of good restaurants and shopping.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:56 AM

182 posts, read 825,146 times
Good luck to you- we are leaving SoCal as well to come to Charlotte and I think you will like it alot.
We bought in the Steele Creek area but I really like Fort Mill in SC. and I understand the schools are better. You have plenty of time before your little one is ready for that so things should change by then.
The YMCA in Fort Mill is awesome and brand new and there is a lot of growth happening everywhere.
The Steele Creek area reminds my husband of when he moved to Rancho Santa Margarita 20 yrs ago and it was nothing....we really think we hit the next big thing by buying here.
Good luck in your search.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Hi look up Huntersville 28078 it a nice bedroom community of charlotte has low crime rates new and resale homes and quite a bit your price range I saw up the street from me 3 bedroom 2200 sq ft for 225k it about 3 to 4 houses up from the community pool

Huntersville takes about 25 min to 30 minutes to get uptown during rush hour and about 20 regular hours.

Alot of uptown workers take the express bus that has reclining seats and foot rests to ride the hov lane and take away of head ache of traffic.

It sits between two lakes ample amount of parks and an aquatics center loads of good restaurants and shopping.

Great info. Thanks

Old 06-11-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Depends on what commute you are looking for (though anything is better than SoCal). Also try over the state line in Fort Mill, Sc (York County). Excellent schools, rough commute to tarde st, though there are alternate routes.
I am good with up to 30 minutes, which is nothing by my standards. I am looking at new development out towards Gastonia to the west and Mooresville to the North also.

If anyone else has input on either of these area, I would appreciate it.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:40 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
Ft. Mill is 3-45 depending on traffic to downtown and what part of Ft. Mill. Gastonia some people consider "redneck", well some parts. My native friends like to say "Gastonia is the place even rednecks make fun of...", but its not all true. It's actually mostly a pretty nice city. Mooresville is just a little north of Lake Norman.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Ft. Mill is 3-45 depending on traffic to downtown and what part of Ft. Mill. Gastonia some people consider "redneck", well some parts. My native friends like to say "Gastonia is the place even rednecks make fun of...", but its not all true. It's actually mostly a pretty nice city. Mooresville is just a little north of Lake Norman.
That must be why I can get a huge house there inexpensively. Good local info thanks.

I really like the Union County area, i.e. Indian Trail, Waxhaw and there about

Old 06-11-2007, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 51,646 times
Based on your price range, you will be limited to areas farther out (20+ minutes from the city).

My wife and I are the same age and Huntersville is our #1 choice for buying our first house this summber. We have lived here for a year now and have only heard great things from people who live there. Great communities, new big houses and affordable.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:31 PM

25 posts, read 131,544 times
Check the Mt. Holly-Huntersville Road/Mt. Island Lake area (28214 in Charlotte). Gastonia end of Charlotte, you can go either way on the side of the county line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte