Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 04:16 PM

48 posts, read 178,257 times

Advertisements

I've read some old threads from 2007 in regards to the quality and craftsmenship of KB homes. The reason I am posting this thread is because we are looking in that area and since it has been several years since the last KB threads (I THINK). I thought I'd ask how you like them now that you have been in them a few years.

I keep hearing very bad thing about KB homes in Berewick and I'm currently deciding between buying a Shea Home and a KB Home with relatively the same specifications but at a 35K listing price difference (KB being cheaper). That's amazing to me and I think there must be be something to why that is.

Please give me your blunt review. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 05:02 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,770,478 times
I sold one of the KB models to a client of mine about 1 1/2 years ago in Berewick. The inspector they used was a master inspector, one of only a handful in NC. He said it was one of the best new construction inspections he had ever done. Of course it had a few small things here and there but as far as the structure and mechanicals he said it was great.

Honestly, it really depends on the quality of the contractors that were working on each particular house. You could have two side by side and one could be perfect and the other loaded with problems.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:38 AM

393 posts, read 1,188,649 times
You get what you pay for...

I had a similar situation when we were building. Two different builders, same price range, one house 700 sq ft smaller. Once we looked into what corners they cut (no house wrap, popcorn ceilings, lower quality hvac, fixtures, and appliances, crappier lot choices), we went with the smaller home. And we are glad we did.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:02 PM

48 posts, read 178,257 times
Today I viewed a KB home. Just as another poster said, the quality of those homes is definitely different than the quality of the Shea homes I have seen. They are not subtle differences either. The floors aren't as solid (they shift a little if you jump up and down which did not happen in the Shea Homes), the walls are thinner, and some of the floors seem to be sloped or are uneven. Strangely, the layout was a lot better than the Shea home (particularly the master bedroom and bath). But, sacrificing "structurally sound" for a few more sq. ft. is not a good decision.

Thank you for your opinions.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:30 AM

55 posts, read 76,469 times
My wife and I walked through 2 of the first 3 houses they built in Berewick a few years ago - I think it was 2006 and they had just broken ground and started.

I have never seen such **** poor construction. There was mud everywhere in the house... halfway up support beams, and they'd already started drywalling and left it in there. Many of the wood beams were sloppily cut too short and they had just nailed on another scrap to make the proper length (it was really random and pervasive through all rooms). There were holes in the slab and outer walls letting in air (yummy mold problems!). The floors and walls were paper thin, and the coup de grace was in the master bedroom, where one of the workers had pissed all over the floor and left it. The plywood was soft, rotting, and smelled strongly.

There was trash everywhere - including inside walls. Sloppy wiring, Angles were not straight.

I'm not any kind of construction expert, but we knew within the first 10 seconds that it was awful. Did not take a trained eye to catch it. It was that bad.

Returned to look at I think a Shea house with a south charlotte custom home builder that is family by marriage (I know - but he builds in the $1mil range, a little over my budget). He thought the Shea house was okay, though he made a list of some things he would have them fix or redo if we bought the house. We told him about the KB house and he wanted to see it. He spent 5 minutes in it shaking his head in disgust. He started mentioning things specifically, but then just gave up as it started piling up. I think he wrote down the contractor or the crews name from a posted sheet and said he'd follow up. I forgot to ask him what ever happened, but you could tell he was professionally offended by how bad it was.

I'd be very wary of any positive reviews you see on here. May be company employees, etc.

I'm not in any way connected to homebuilding. Just a long time Charlotte resident that happened to have shopped in there. BTW, we didn't buy in Berewick at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte