Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 05:07 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,208,979 times

Advertisements

Seems to me that one might want to avoid the train these days if this type of thing is going on. The security doesn't seem particularly effective. According to the report they also used pepper spray inside the train on top of letting one of the guys run off. This is two different events melded into one video.

RAW VIDEO: Private Police Officers Use Force On Light Rail - Video - WSOC Charlotte (http://www.wsoctv.com/video/22717478/index.html - broken link)

Old 03-02-2010, 05:21 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,218 times
Wow. That's disturbing. These rent-a-cops are dangerous. I hope they fire those punks.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:28 PM

124 posts, read 212,551 times
That kind of thing doesn't only happen on the train. It happens everywhere. I'm not sure how long the train has been running exactly but that's 2 events in that period of time and to me that's nothing. I'm sure there have been other problems but I've ridden the train many times and not seen one. They patrol adequately in my opinion.

There are occurrences (plural) at every major sporting event. Bad things happen on the highways and roads, on buses, in stores, restaurants, night clubs, bars, and on and on... Anywhere you go, there's going to be some dummy or some jerk thats willing to cause problems.

I feel safer on that train then I do on the streets. I can't wait for the rest of the lines to be complete.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:34 PM

+1, I've ridden the train at least 4 times a week for 2 years. Never had a problem. You're safer on the train or the bus than on the street or in a parking lot. This seems to be more a problem with hothead officers than any passengers.

Are these guys CMPD or rent-a-cops? Seems like I've seen both on the trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu-dog View Post
That kind of thing doesn't only happen on the train. It happens everywhere. I'm not sure how long the train has been running exactly but that's 2 events in that period of time and to me that's nothing. I'm sure there have been other problems but I've ridden the train many times and not seen one. They patrol adequately in my opinion.

There are occurrences (plural) at every major sporting event. Bad things happen on the highways and roads, on buses, in stores, restaurants, night clubs, bars, and on and on... Anywhere you go, there's going to be some dummy or some jerk thats willing to cause problems.

I feel safer on that train then I do on the streets. I can't wait for the rest of the lines to be complete.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:36 PM

95 posts, read 243,832 times
Do you guys realize this is a city, we have crime,drugs, and idiots like all cities. If this is a reason for staying off the train, there would be no mass transit in any city. Given the number of people who ride the trains, we are doing well. I wish there was no crime but it is just not realistic. We honest folks need to be vigilant but not afriad of the morons in the city, if we are looking for another way of life we need to be looking at small towns

Old 03-02-2010, 05:37 PM

124 posts, read 212,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
+1, I've ridden the train at least 4 times a week for 2 years. Never had a problem. You're safer on the train or the bus than on the street or in a parking lot. This seems to be more a problem with hothead officers than any passengers.

Are these guys CMPD or rent-a-cops? Seems like I've seen both on the trains.
They are Lynx officers, hired by the city. Some are retired police officers, some are ex military, some could just be average joes.

I don't agree with you though about the officers in the video. It looked like to me that they were doing the same thing any CMP would do. I saw nothing wrong.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:44 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbury84 View Post
Do you guys realize this is a city, we have crime,drugs, and idiots like all cities. If this is a reason for staying off the train, there would be no mass transit in any city. Given the number of people who ride the trains, we are doing well. I wish there was no crime but it is just not realistic. We honest folks need to be vigilant but not afriad of the morons in the city, if we are looking for another way of life we need to be looking at small towns
Well said.

One thing that suprised us in moving here is how the Lynx was looked upon as a good thing. In Baltimore, neighborhoods fought to keep a station from being built as it was primarily used for thugs to travel into more affluent suburbs. That does not seem to be an issue here in Charlotte.

We live in a metropolitan area, which means there will be some level of crime due to petty little thugs.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:52 PM

The first guy, I could not tell what started that, but the second cop seemed to start the whole thing and drew his weapon WAY too soon -- and on the platform?? Over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu-dog View Post
They are Lynx officers, hired by the city. Some are retired police officers, some are ex military, some could just be average joes.

I don't agree with you though about the officers in the video. It looked like to me that they were doing the same thing any CMP would do. I saw nothing wrong.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:54 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Well said.

One thing that suprised us in moving here is how the Lynx was looked upon as a good thing. In Baltimore, neighborhoods fought to keep a station from being built as it was primarily used for thugs to travel into more affluent suburbs. That does not seem to be an issue here in Charlotte.
Not a surprise to some of us that live in South Charlotte or to the merchants at Carolina Pavilion.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:05 PM

624 posts, read 2,108,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
The first guy, I could not tell what started that, but the second cop seemed to start the whole thing and drew his weapon WAY too soon -- and on the platform?? Over the top.
You can't draw your weapon WAY too soon if you're already in a physical fight with a guy 50 lbs bigger and a foot taller than you. He used it to control and stop the fight immediately and it worked. By "Over the top." Are you referring to time frame 1:50, when the suspect is up and over the shorter cop who looked completely helpless? He got free, drew his weapon, and by 1:56 the fight was over and he had control...great use of a weapon IMO

Neither of these videos show any wrong doing by the police. Even the first video, you can see the cop trying to handcuff the suspect and the guy keeps pushing up from the ground and eventually runs...walks at a slow pace away.

There's no sound, no way to tell what is going on in either video, but to blame that cops is premature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte