Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 11:09 AM

45,217 posts, read 101,013,239 times

Advertisements

Hard to believe it's been 9 years already since the crash at Daytona broke so many hearts. This is what newspapers looked like the next day:

Dale Earnhardt Daytona 500 Crash Nascar Nextel Cup Racing Collectible

In his career Dale won 76 races, including the big one - the Daytona 500 at least once. Known as "the Intimidator" for his aggressive, take-no-prisoners style he was either the guy you loved or the guy you loved to hate on the track

He was born in Kannapolis, just northeast of Charlotte and is that city's favorite son.

I for one think racing has been a bit boring these last years without him. We miss you Dale!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 02:16 PM

21 posts, read 38,392 times
I can't believe it's been that long. But I was really happy that Jr ran second.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:35 PM

149 posts, read 411,415 times
I was actually at that race, and it was strange... most people just left thinking that he crashed. I was sitting on the back stretch and was watching very closely (with binoculars and I had a radio headset) and it was getting clearer and clearer that something was up when he didnt answer his radio after a couple of calls to him.

Very sad walk back to my car

Old 02-15-2010, 08:14 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,778,400 times
What's sad but true is that certain people are ashamed of NASCar's image that they had to take down and hide all the Dale Sr. flags that always flew in Kannapolis for Martha Stewart...remember this story?

Everytime I hear about the "great" research campus, I just remind myself of how people caved just to make a famous person happy.....

Martha Stewart Visits Billionaire Developer In Kannapolis - News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Old 02-15-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
What's sad but true is that certain people are ashamed of NASCar's image that they had to take down and hide all the Dale Sr. flags that always flew in Kannapolis for Martha Stewart...remember this story?

Everytime I hear about the "great" research campus, I just remind myself of how people caved just to make a famous person happy.....

Martha Stewart Visits Billionaire Developer In Kannapolis - News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Jack, I don't remember that story! Why in the hell would Martha Stewart be upset seeing the flags honoring Dale?? I am so confused

Old 02-16-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizoid2k View Post
I was actually at that race, and it was strange... most people just left thinking that he crashed. I was sitting on the back stretch and was watching very closely (with binoculars and I had a radio headset) and it was getting clearer and clearer that something was up when he didnt answer his radio after a couple of calls to him.

That must have been so eerie - to be at the race when Dale was killed.

I think it's amazing that Junior didn't just walk away from racing after seeing his Dad killed. I'm not so sure if it had been me that I could ever race again.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:08 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,778,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Jack, I don't remember that story! Why in the hell would Martha Stewart be upset seeing the flags honoring Dale?? I am so confused
Oh, it was a big story about a yr and a half ago loves...surprised you don't remember.

Anyhoo, billionaire David Murdock (behind the research campus) wanted to put the best face forward on Kannapolis so he instructed the city to take down the banners.....(I don't believe anything went up in its place).

The reason why he did it is because Murdock is ashamed that Nascar is such a big representation next to his science campus and didn't want Martha Stewart to think the town was low class....

Old 02-16-2010, 06:40 PM

149 posts, read 411,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That must have been so eerie - to be at the race when Dale was killed.

I think it's amazing that Junior didn't just walk away from racing after seeing his Dad killed. I'm not so sure if it had been me that I could ever race again.
Yes, it was pretty strange... thousands of people walking back to their cars, and you can hear a pin drop. We also went to the track the day after and again... very quiet with people paying their respects.

I think Jr. grew up pretty fast and handled the situation as best as anyone could... I am sure it was very shocking and upsetting.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, it was pretty strange... thousands of people walking back to their cars, and you can hear a pin drop. We also went to the track the day after and again... very quiet with people paying their respects.

I think Jr. grew up pretty fast and handled the situation as best as anyone could... I am sure it was very shocking and upsetting.
Hearing that Dale had died was like hearing about when Princess Diana died - BIG, you know? Nine years ago today - man, time is flying!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:33 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,303,964 times
Quote:

I was working hospitality for Caterpillar on the inside of turn 4 and had a clear view of the crash. It didn't seem that bad at all, and still doesn't on replays.

On the way home we stopped at a restaurant to eat, and there were many Earnhardt fans in there, very subdued. One guy was sitting at the front door, crying, wearing a lot of Earnhardt gear.

When I was 15 my neighbor worked for him when he raced for Osterlund Racing, early in his career. They had a friends and family event at Charlotte Motor Speedway, and part of that was 4 laps around the track with him driving a retired race car with a second seat. I was too young to fully appreciate it but it was a blast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte