Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 07:39 AM

14 posts, read 45,547 times

Advertisements

Hello:

My husband and I moved to North Carolina in the Fall of 2008. We are slowly making acquaintences but the people we are meeting are either progressive and just live too far away or are good christians and don't appreciate it when I curse :O) (from time to time). We have four children with three of them being pretty much grown. Although we are spiritual people, we do not attend church or belong to an organized religion so we will not be making friends through our local churches. We are not big drinkers so do not frequent bars. I checked out meetup.com and there are a few social groups that seem like lots of fun but most of them are from the other side of Charlotte. Does anyone know of anywhere to hang out and meet fellow damn yankees or transplants :O) If not, should we create a meetup.com group on this side of the lake?

(No offense to southerners who are church go-ers. We just have differences in our beliefs. I think church is a nice place to visit and worship at various times in my life but we are just not "regulars". I lived in Georgia most of my youth so I understand the concept, but just don't want to offend anyone - lets face it - we are just different.)

Please post if you can help me and please refrain from posting if you don't like the question. Thank you -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 11:20 AM

509 posts, read 1,803,837 times
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what type of people you are trying to meet? Not people who are "progressive," but not southern church goers? I'm not really sure what that means.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,529,774 times
Hi, Southern Yank! I think I get what you are saying . . . and as a native, NO, I am not offended in any way. It is not easy to meet folks here, IMO, especially if 1. you don't have children in school where you will naturally be interacting with other folks and 2. if you don't attend a church. If you are retired or working out of your home, then that eliminates the office meet ups after work, too.

I have found that in a lot of the smaller towns in outlying areas, newcomers (damn Yankees, included, hee hee) often find niches by getting involved with community theatres, art or history museums or societies, Humane Society, Habitat for Humanity, Hospice, Friends of the Library, etc. In fact, in working with clients over the years, I have found that some of the most faithful and hard-working contributors to non-profit organizations are newcomers.

So, my thought is - what about seeing what types of not-for-profit organizations are in the area? I am sure they would welcome you with open arms and I will just bet you will meet folks - other transplants as well as natives - w/ whom you will have more in common.

Also, if you have particular interests or have considered pursuing a hobby, meeting others while taking classes can be a great way to start friendships. For example - pottery, book clubs, dance.

It may take some research and some trial and error, but I am absolutely certain there are others who would be very pleased to get to know you and your hubby and plan some activities together.

Good luck and don't get discouraged. Once you get out there and circulate more, you are gonna find that a lot of Southerners are interested in the same things you are - not just newcomers. There are others you will have good times with - they are simply friends you haven't met yet. :-)

Old 02-18-2010, 08:52 AM

14 posts, read 45,547 times
Yes - Anifani - you are correct. There are wonderful southerners here that I have come to know that are a lot like me. (scary thought!) I guess we just haven't found the few friends that we click with yet. But that being said, it took time to make friends up north too. I think the friends we have made are great - but they either have no kids or too many :O). They are much older or much younger. And albeit they are great, we are just looking for those friends that you vacation with, hang it and can be yourself.

You have some great ideas and I am going to give it a try. I did meet some nice Italian girl :O) that we are supposed to get together at some point.

It is so weird because I'm a little bit Southern and a whole lotta damn Yankee, so I do mix well and am looking forward to making good friends whether native or not :O) Thanks again,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte