Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:11 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,739,146 times

Advertisements

Housing in Mooresville is more than housing in Charlotte- whether renting or buying. Housing is much, much cheaper in Rowan County.
I drive from Mooresville to Salisbury every day and it takes me 30-40 minutes and I live only 2 miles from the Rowan County line. I work a PT job in Cornelius, which is why I moved to Mooresville. It put me in the middle. Otherwise, I'd live in Rowan County. For a similar house in Salisbury, I'd have saved about $30,000 on a $135,000 house.
You will not be happy driving from Charlotte everyday. Another teacher I work with did live on W.T. Harris and on an average day, it took her 50 minutes. Now, if there was an accident, or if it were race weekend or something- you will need to change that to hours. Not kidding.

I teach for Rowan-Salisbury Schools. There are schools you want to avoid, but for the most part there are good schools. I have done observations at other schools after hearing how awful they are from fellow teachers and was quite impressed with several.
Faith Elementary gets the best scores in the county and is a really good school. Shive (in Rockwell) is new and has some great teachers. Bostian, Morgan, Enochville, Landis, and Mt. Ulla are all good as well. I went to observe at Knollwood and was told how bad of a school it was and I liked it, a lot. If I ever transferred within the district, that is where I would go.
Granite Quarry has come a long way in the last 2 years or so since the administration changed. They were failing according to NCLB, but I think this is the year they can get off of that list.
I don't know a whole lot about Cleveland or Woodleaf- they are rural and I have never visited either. I also don't know anything about Hurley- it doesn't have a horrible reputation, but I have never heard good things, either. No one talks about it, so I really don't know.
Millbridge is also improving greatly since new administration.
I interviewed at China Grove and like the administration a lot. There is a pretty high hispanic population, which attributes to some lower test scores.
I have been to Rockwell multiple times and the teachers are good, but they have had administration issues. I think it is better this year since I have not heard anything, but I am not sure.
All right- that leads me to the schools you want to avoid like the plague- Handford Dole, Koontz, Isenburg, North Rowan, and Overton.
Getting up to middle school, the only one I have heard bad things about is North Middle. My school feeds to Southeast and I like the way they do things there.
As for high school, again, avoid North Rowan High. The others are good. Carson has a very good reputation.

If you need more info, feel free to PM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 09:23 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,552,467 times
Think that depends on where in Moorsville and where in Charlotte really.

Not sure where the OP went, but I was wondering which Charlotte schools (that would be in commuting distance to Salisbury) would be better than Mooresville Schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte