Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you watching?
I'm Watching 5 15.63%
Not Watching 27 84.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:31 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,716,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp View Post
You got that right!! Actually from what I am hearing the new 2010 dietary guidelines will be focusing on controlling sodium intake more than they have in the past due to the large portion of americans that have undiagnosed high blood pressure. And with that I am hoping that more products will start focusing on lowering sodium in their foods too...just like they did in 2005 when "whole grains" became the buzz word(and for good reason) now you see a whole slew of products out there that focus on that. Now if the the food manufactureres can get it all together...low fat, lower sodium, whole grain...it would be great...but we can still just eat fruits and veggies and that would help too
I cook nearly everything from scratch. I've watched my sodium intake for years, on my own. I've had so many people ask me for recipes that I'm going to start a blog when I get a little better. That way they'll all be in one place, & people won't have to wait for me.

I have friends who have been told to eat low sodium diets who thought that the "healthy" fast food was OK. I've gone onto the fast food websites to check the food that they thought was OK. Boy were they shocked!!!!!

Maybe I'm just being a pain, but I don't think that there's any excuse for that amount of sodium. Some of those foods have enough sodium for at least 2 days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 03:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,552,457 times
is Sea Salt any better or salt is salt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I cook nearly everything from scratch. I've watched my sodium intake for years, on my own. I've had so many people ask me for recipes that I'm going to start a blog when I get a little better. That way they'll all be in one place, & people won't have to wait for me.

I have friends who have been told to eat low sodium diets who thought that the "healthy" fast food was OK. I've gone onto the fast food websites to check the food that they thought was OK. Boy were they shocked!!!!!

Maybe I'm just being a pain, but I don't think that there's any excuse for that amount of sodium. Some of those foods have enough sodium for at least 2 days!

Old 01-18-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I've always treated it all the same, but recently I saw something that makes me think that sea salt might be better. I have to check it out. I wouldn't want to tell you wrong.

I hear that the family is going to get renewed for another season. Maybe they'll give the mother cooking lessons on the show. That would be a good thing for her, the rest of the family & the audience, too.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Here's the answer, Sunny.

Sea salt vs. table salt: Which is healthier? - MayoClinic.com

Sea salt and table salt have the same basic nutritional value — both mostly consist of two minerals — sodium and chloride. However, sea salt is often marketed as a more natural and healthy alternative. The real differences between sea salt and table salt are in their taste, texture and processing, not their chemical makeup.
Sea salt is produced through evaporation of seawater, usually with little processing, which leaves behind some trace minerals and elements depending on its water source. These insignificant amounts of minerals add flavor and color to sea salt, which also comes in a variety of coarseness levels.
Table salt is mined from underground salt deposits. Table salt is more heavily processed to eliminate trace minerals and usually contains an additive to prevent clumping. Most table salt also has added iodine, an essential nutrient that appears naturally in minute amounts in sea salt.
By weight, sea salt and table salt contain about the same amount of sodium chloride. Your body needs only a couple hundred milligrams (mg) a day to stay healthy, but most people get far too much — mostly from sodium in processed foods. So regardless of which type of salt you prefer, keep sodium consumption between 1,500 and 2,300 mg of sodium a day if you're a healthy adult. People with high blood pressure, African-Americans and anyone middle-aged or older should aim for the low end of that range.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:39 PM

oic, Sea Salt good for people with Psoriasis
(I found that when I thought I had that)
It also seems to be latest fad in swimming pools over chlorine.
Ill have to watch this show because Im sure when I have my first cholesterol test in March. mine probably will high due to the amount of medicine I take.
A friend of mine is 800 .
I dont add salt to many things but I do like it on my popcorn, cantaloupe, and watermelon.

Quote:

Sea salt and table salt have the same basic nutritional value — both mostly consist of two minerals — sodium and chloride. However, sea salt is often marketed as a more natural and healthy alternative. The real differences between sea salt and table salt are in their taste, texture and processing, not their chemical makeup.
Sea salt is produced through evaporation of seawater, usually with little processing, which leaves behind some trace minerals and elements depending on its water source. These insignificant amounts of minerals add flavor and color to sea salt, which also comes in a variety of coarseness levels.
Table salt is mined from underground salt deposits. Table salt is more heavily processed to eliminate trace minerals and usually contains an additive to prevent clumping. Most table salt also has added iodine, an essential nutrient that appears naturally in minute amounts in sea salt.
By weight, sea salt and table salt contain about the same amount of sodium chloride. Your body needs only a couple hundred milligrams (mg) a day to stay healthy, but most people get far too much — mostly from sodium in processed foods. So regardless of which type of salt you prefer, keep sodium consumption between 1,500 and 2,300 mg of sodium a day if you're a healthy adult. People with high blood pressure, African-Americans and anyone middle-aged or older should aim for the low end of that range.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Aaack I saw Campbells chicken noodle soup boasting it soup is healthier because they uses sea salt. I bet it will air again during Y&R.
Maybe we can mail them for false advertising.
and get free soup coupons.
Kinda like those cereals that put better immune system or something and got in trouble with that last year

Old 01-28-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Aaack I saw Campbells chicken noodle soup boasting it soup is healthier because they uses sea salt. I bet it will air again during Y&R.
Maybe we can mail them for false advertising.
and get free soup coupons.
Kinda like those cereals that put better immune system or something and got in trouble with that last year
LOL, Sunny, I could tell some funny stories about Campbells since I lived in the same county where the old soup plant was. Unfortunately you'd then have to delete them, so I won't.

Also, when they moved the plant from Camden to Ohio, that meant that they no longer use Jersey tomatoes, which is why their soups that use tomatoes don't taste the same.

I was wondering how they get away with that sea salt commercial, too. Next time I'm in Ingles, I'll look at some of the canned soups. I noticed that some come in a regular version & a sea salt version. Maybe there's some free coupons in our future.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:44 PM

79 posts, read 233,542 times
If that's the best local shows we have? not interested... much better stuff on National Geo and Smithsonian channel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte