Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 01:32 PM

272 posts, read 785,915 times

Advertisements

Anyone seen Food inc? Watched it recently and it had a profound effect on me. I won't stop eating meat but will consider eating organic chicken, steak etc... I was at Harris Teeter this weekend and a package of organic chicken(3 to 4 breasts) was 12 bucks whereas the perdue/tyson was about 4 dollars per package. Would I have more success at fresh market or earth fare? Do you think the chicken they have in their cases is organic or do you have to buy the package stuff to get organic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 02:02 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,294 times
I saw Food, Inc a few months back - whenever it first came to Charlotte.

As for whether or not the chicken in the case at HT is organic or not, your best bet is to just ask.

If organic isn't an option, strive for local - and there are many options for this in the greater-Charlotte area. I believe that was one of the points that the movie tried to drive home.

It also encouraged utilizing farmer's markets to protect family farms. As a word of caution though, everything offered at a farmer's market isn't necessary local or being offered by a family farm. But, there are plenty of farmer's markets in this area.

Since you're not going vegeterian, I believe the movie suggested Meatless Mondays - consider going meatless one day a week.

Read labels. Know where your food comes from.

Check out this link:
Eat Well Guide :: Local, Sustainable, Organic Food

The listings below are options that surround Union County however, if you use the above guide you'll find just as many, or more, options all over the greater-Charlotte area by inputting a zip code. There are CSAs, local farm listings, restaurants that only use organic or local products, farmer's market's, etc.

Baucom's Best 100% Grassfed Beef

Windcrest Farm, Certifed Organic Transplants and Produce, Monroe, North Carolina

New Town Farms
4610 New Town Road
Waxhaw, NC 28173
Tel. 704-534-5582

We are a small family farm in operation since 1990. Growing on five acres, we focus on the soil and the art of growing vegetables. We also offer free-range chicken, pastured pork, and turkey.

Poplar Ridge Farm - Organic CSA - Charlotte, NC

Big Oaks Natural Farm

3124 Old Pageland-Monroe Road
Monroe, NC 28112
Tel. 704-764-5616

We are a small farm. We use organic practices but are not certified. We sell retail only from the farm and at Matthews Farmers' Market. We sell seasonal vegetables, cantaloupe and watermelon, and free-range eggs. Other inputs: compost, non-medicated feed.
Products and Production Methods:

Chicken - Non Confined, Free Range or Roaming, Cage Free
Produce - Non-certified Organic

Good luck with your lifestyle changes!

Old 12-14-2009, 06:47 AM

457 posts, read 1,177,574 times
That was a fantastic list. Also, Whats Your Beef Butcher which is moving from Waxhaw to Ballantyne in January carries only local products. Their chicken cutlets are only $4 LB & are "Our natural chicken products do NOT contain artificial ingredients, colorings, chemical preservatives, hormones, or antibiotics." Their website is http://www.whatsyourbeefbutcher.com/

Old 12-14-2009, 01:06 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,652,565 times
Agreed that local is the way to go... but on those days when that's just not possible, Trader Joe's has a really good selection of organic products at a reasonable price. Not everything is organic, so you have to read labels, and they don't have a big selection of fresh produce, but it's definitely worth a trip.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:49 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,894,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDREAMING View Post
Anyone seen Food inc? Watched it recently and it had a profound effect on me. I won't stop eating meat but will consider eating organic chicken, steak etc... I was at Harris Teeter this weekend and a package of organic chicken(3 to 4 breasts) was 12 bucks whereas the perdue/tyson was about 4 dollars per package. Would I have more success at fresh market or earth fare? Do you think the chicken they have in their cases is organic or do you have to buy the package stuff to get organic?
Check out Kosher meats. They are organic. There is usually a Kosher frozen section in larger grocery stores.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:22 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,294 times
Kosher and organic are not one in the same although more and more often, Kosher organic products are being offered.

Just want to caution anyone who thinks that by purchaing kosher, they are getting organic too. That may or may not be the case.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:05 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,024 times
Quote:
I was at Harris Teeter this weekend and a package of organic chicken(3 to 4 breasts) was 12 bucks whereas the perdue/tyson was about 4 dollars per package.
That has alot to do with the fact that "organic" foods are a hot marketing concept right now...just like "green" is. Sure one option may be healthier for you or better than the environment (which may or may not be the case, depending upon whose research you read) - but marketing execs are willing to bet people are willing to pay a little more for such products.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:48 AM

241 posts, read 891,640 times
I was actually just about to post a thread on this because I watched it last night myself. Wanted to see if anybody had any suggestions on restaurants in the Charlotte area that serve free range meat. Here's what I have come up with. Can anybody contribute to this list? Thanks!

Chipotle, the chain began to use free-range pork (they now use only free-range chicken and pork, and 50% of their beef is free-range)
Q-Shack‎ 5 reviews - Write a review
10822 Providence Road, Charlotte, NC‎ -
"For our pork products, we buy directly from local, independent hog farmers who raise their hogs free-range, without the use of antibiotics or hormones

Steamers Sports Pub‎ 7 reviews - Write a review
1513 Pierson Drive, Charlotte, NC‎ - (704) 568-9273‎
There's also free-range chicken,

City Hot Dogs‎ 1 review - Write a review - 2 coupons
1408 East Boulevard, Charlotte, NC‎ - (704) 335-3700‎
"Niman Ranch Free Range Horomone Free Antibiotic Free Natural Fresh Pork.

Zada Janes Corner Cafe‎ 32 reviews - Write a review
1601 Central Avenue, Charlotte, NC‎ - (704) 332-3663‎
"The Druther's Clucker (a fave) is hot pressed with sun-dried tomato mayo, grilled Ashley Farms free-range chicken

Old 01-05-2010, 07:40 AM

393 posts, read 1,187,589 times
Quote:
Anyone seen Food inc?

That's all I'm going to say...

Old 01-05-2010, 05:09 PM

272 posts, read 785,915 times
Don't get it?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte