Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:36 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times

Advertisements

There have been threads on H1N1 in this forum before, just wanted to bounce this off of you guys...We get called into an emergency meeting about how H1N1 is out of control in Charlotte and if you feel any symptoms to stay home and to NOT come to work. So my questions are, 1) are they late to the party and just now talking about this? 2) has there been some large increase in the last days that I somehow missed. 3) does this seem like a needed meeting to call? You would have to be under a rock to not know about h1n1 at this point.

Now, predicatbly everyone in my office is now a doctor, talking about symptoms, and diagnosing each other. We have just had 2 people leave since the meeting. How ANNOYING! To paraphrase one of my favorite quotes, "a person is smart, people are exceedingly stupid."

I don't mind people taking caution, or even going home, but the way my work just went about it and the reaction it is causing is tilting me out of control right now!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 09:44 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
The bad news is that H1N1 is gaining momentum locally (I survived it two weeks ago).

The good news is that if you are a moderately healthy individual the actual illness is LESS severe than the traditional yearly flu, or so I am told.
Until this year the last time I had the flu was 1988.

Last edited by mullman; 09-25-2009 at 10:21 AM..

Old 09-25-2009, 09:59 AM

716 posts, read 1,545,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
There have been threads on H1N1 in this forum before, just wanted to bounce this off of you guys...We get called into an emergency meeting about how H1N1 is out of control in Charlotte and if you feel any symptoms to stay home and to NOT come to work. So my questions are, 1) are they late to the party and just now talking about this? 2) has there been some large increase in the last days that I somehow missed. 3) does this seem like a needed meeting to call? You would have to be under a rock to not know about h1n1 at this point.

Now, predicatbly everyone in my office is now a doctor, talking about symptoms, and diagnosing each other. We have just had 2 people leave since the meeting. How ANNOYING! To paraphrase one of my favorite quotes, "a person is smart, people are exceedingly stupid."

I don't mind people taking caution, or even going home, but the way my work just went about it and the reaction it is causing is tilting me out of control right now!!!

Over the summer you remember my posts about how the swine flu pandemic was going to be big this Fall? Everytime I made a post about it I would have people talk about getting out their tin foil hats n stuff. Well the Fall is here and things are going to be deteriorating rapidly. Like I said I use nothing but trends and patterns to see what lies ahead!!!

Old 09-25-2009, 10:19 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,318 times
I think this H1N1 is far more widespread than is being talked about. However, from what I've read, it's not any more deadly than the typical seasonal flu. It just spreads faster and, of course, if you or your kids have lowered immune systems due to whatever then you have to be extra cautious.

I believe my youngest kid may have this right now. He's been sick since Tuesday which is completely atypical for any of my kids. Usually one day, two tops and they are back to normal. We are heading to the doctor b/c he is complaining about ear pain now.

I'd kind of like to know if this is the H1N1 so that I can avoid that flu shot for him later next month. Don't know if they will be checking that or not.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:20 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
The swine flu thing is real, no doubt. It exists and, yes, people are ill. However, to create a panic is ludicrous.

there are people at my place of work that are out with the flu. We have just wiped down their cubes with antibacterial wipes and gone on with life.

Charlotte, you may be right that a panic may ensue but that is only because of the media attention. People are NOT dying rapidly because of this...there is no real issue, just a manufactured one. I survived the swine flu in the 70's, and will probably be okay this time because I am taking the precautions.

I guess the good news out of this Orangish, is that your co. is not making the implication that you need to be at work no matter what. That is what we have...unless you are practically dying, you need to be at work. Even the site leader had a case of the flu (don't know what kind) and she was at work every day. (which is probably why others are sick now).

REMEMBER: no need to panic, just take precautions

Old 09-25-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
Over the summer you remember my posts about how the swine flu pandemic was going to be big this Fall? Everytime I made a post about it I would have people talk about getting out their tin foil hats n stuff. Well the Fall is here and things are going to be deteriorating rapidly. Like I said I use nothing but trends and patterns to see what lies ahead!!!
just keep collecting unemployment and stop playing Dr Nostradomus

Old 09-25-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I guess the good news out of this Orangish, is that your co. is not making the implication that you need to be at work no matter what. That is what we have...unless you are practically dying, you need to be at work. Even the site leader had a case of the flu (don't know what kind) and she was at work every day. (which is probably why others are sick now).
Sheesh CC, hope you guys have a good group health plan!!

Old 09-25-2009, 11:18 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
The H1N1 issue is definitely overblown. Here is a list off the top of my head that the media has tried to scare me about in my lifetime:

1. Killer Bees
2. Japan is taking over the US
3. Bird Flu
4. Swine Flu
5. Caldera under Yellowstone will destory us all
6. Global warming
7. Global cooling
8. Eggs are bad for your health, eat less of them (reversed years later)
9. Smallpox
10. Reflector lights on the highway may be kicked loose and fly through my windsheild, killing me.
11. Michael Jackson

None of these things has come close to killing me or wiping out a significant portion of the population yet.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:22 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
I worry more about being severely injured or killed on the road by 1. crazy drivers or 2. deer.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:23 AM

62 posts, read 188,660 times
My company has been preparing for Pandemic status for a few years now, in anticipation of Bird Flu. We have bio-hazard kits for every employee should there be a mass outbreak in the facility. All employees have had training and instruction that, should they or a family member get any kind of illness, they call before coming to work, so that fellow employees are aware. A month ago, we ordered disinfectant spray and hand sanitizer for every office and throughout the manufacturing floor. We encourage people to wash hands more and discuss it regularly. Everyone has been very proactive about using things provided to protect themselves. Some people are making a bigger issue than others because of health concerns, but they just stay away from those who may be sick. I think the delivery of a message from your company can tell employees how to respond. People are going to do what they think is expected of them. If the employer says it's OK to stay home, then people are going to do it.

I had a sick child last week with flu-like symptoms (not sure exactly what it was), that lasted 3-4 days. She stayed in her room, and I washed my hands and/or used hand sanitizer when going in and out to check on her. I also sprayed things she touched with disinfectant spray. We managed to keep myself, husband and other daughter well. I also made co-workers aware that I had a sick child at home before they entered my office or got too close to me. This was just in case I happened to be carrying a germ. However, you'll always have those that take things to the extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte