Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:43 AM

587 posts, read 1,625,990 times

Advertisements

Looking at a possible move to Charlotte area and wondering about public schools in Lake Norman area. Davidson & Cornelius sound interesting - also Would love to have a house either on the lake or right near,but need public schools. Info & opinions on public schools needed. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 01:12 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Just noticed no one had posted info and didn't want your post to get lost.

The Lake Norman area is a great place to live. Where you buy would determine what schools - and your price point is gonna determine where you can buy. If we had an idea about your price range, then that would help w/ narrowing down communities. Waterfront homes usually are quite expensive. There are always exceptions, of course.

Also, if you are gonna need to commute back to Charlotte, you will want to keep that in mind. The commute can be slow from some areas around the lake back to the heart of the city.

I hope others will post w/ info about the schools. I don't feel I am a good source on schools in that area, except for Mooresville.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:43 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,551,495 times
My son has just started at Lake Norman high school and I am getting good reports (apart from the school,bus chaos which seems pretty standard at the beinning of the new school year)
Considering he has come from a foreign school system he seems to have fitted in (apart from someone asking him why he was so white -LOL-we have rubbish Summers and he only arrived in NC last week)
He tells me everyone is chatty and friendly, repectful of the teachers and in his home room when the teacher says "quiet study" and leaves the class there is no messing around.He is a Freshman and it is early days, but so far so good!
We were a little concerned as we had heard stories about it being rife with drugs and that some of the kids were very snobby, but if they are then at least they seem to be well behaved.I think there will be a mixture of kids from various backgrounds -not everyone who lives around the Lake is loaded with money.

Most of the schools in Mooresville have a pretty good reputation.
Sorry I know you asked about Davidson and Cornelius.My husband commutes every day to Southend area of Charlotte and it takes about 35-40 mins if he leaves between 6.45 and 7.
Depends what you are used to in the way of traffic I guess.

If you were further down Brawley then it may take considerably longer but they are widening Brawley School Road-which should help.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:07 PM

16 posts, read 40,003 times
Check out this site greatschools.net
I love reading the parent reviews and think it helps to see what other parents think of the schools. I hope this helps!

Last edited by CabarrusNC; 08-29-2009 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: link didn't come through correctly

Old 08-29-2009, 05:29 PM

thank you for your responses! Ani - We'd be looking to spend 450-500K - we need at least 2000 sq. ft - preferably more like 2500 - 3000, but depends on the house. I like older homes with some character - not cookie-cutter or mcmansions. Susan- sounds like your son is getting a good start. I think most high schools are "rife with drugs". We live in a very highly ranked, relatively affluent school district in TX - and our high schools are littered with drugs. They say it's because of all the money the kids have access to, but in the inner-city schools, they have the same problems without the money. My opinion is that every high school has this issue, so I wouldn't necessarily use that factor to evaluate schools. Our high school does do random drug testing which I think is fantastic, but since they only test each kid on average once per year, I plan to also test my own kids (just did the first one on my oldest who is 14 y.o.) - I know alot of people will disagree with that, but considering the environment they are in, I think it's just conscientious parenting - and gives them one more reason to say no. Thanks again for your responses. Ani - based on housing budget, what are your thoughts?

Old 08-29-2009, 05:52 PM

Well, with that price range, you are going to have so many nice neighborhoods to choose from . . . you can get near the lake but not on the lake (now - there are exceptions and a good realtor could help you find those homes).

You will find many threads on the forum about all the communities to the North of Charlotte. Huntersville as well as Cornelius could be on your list. Davidson is a nice community, too. I am partial to Mooresville, but that is b/c it is an area I am very familiar with and feel good about the schools.

If commute is not an issue, I would suggest checking out Mooresville, but that may not be feasible if you have to drive back into Charlotte daily.

Are you by any chance in the Plano or Frisco area? I am familiar with Dallas burbs and if I knew where you are now and what you like and don't like there - I could help with some comparisons. Also - I am familiar with burbs b/n Houston and Galveston - and to a lesser extent - some of the Austin burbs.

From what you have said so far . . . I think you might like Mooresville . . . or South Charlotte/Ballantyne . . . or Union County. I wasn't sure if you needed to stay up north of the city.

But gosh - there are so so many really nice neighborhoods in and around Charlotte. The thing would be making sure the school is gonna match up with your expectations.

Have you been looking online at houses here? The prices are similar to TX prices but I think you get more for your money in the Dallas burbs than here. However, you may get larger lots here. So many of the houses I have looked at in Plano, for ex., would be about the same price per square foot as a home here - but they will include a swimming pool. There are more neighborhood swimming pools than private residence swimming pools in this area (but again - there are always homes to be found with pools).

I don't feel I am helping that much! It is really hard to narrow things down - I feel I am leaving out so many wonderful neighborhoods.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:32 PM

ani - you are definitely helping - thank you! I actually live in Flower Mound, which is about the same distance as Frisco and Plano from Dallas, but farther West. What I like is the very friendly people, great schools in terms of how they are ranked/viewed by colleges, etc. (but in my opinion, too focused on increasing test scores and not fostering higher-level thinking or creativity), proximity to everything I need (schools, stores, etc.) What I would want to be different - MORE TREES and a closer to nature feel with more outdoor activities - bike and walking trails, etc., homes with more character, would LOVE to be in a more walkable neighborhood. If I could have those 3 things - it would be great! The other area I was checking out is Dilworth/Myers Park/Elizabeth - I thought I'd get the walkable town and older,more quaint housing that I'm looking for there - not sure about the outdoor feel. My husband is looking at a job in South Charlotte - actually I just looked it up and it's probably 20 min. south of center of the city - that may eliminate the Lake Norman area because of commute - he'll be commuting every day. Any other suggestions?? Thanks so much again!

Old 08-29-2009, 09:07 PM

Renlouis - I know Flower Mound! Okay. . . to be frank, if your hubby is gonna be working in S. CLT, honestly, I would be looking south of town. We definitely can take care of your need for trees! LOL!!! Charlotte is known for our trees.

I am trying to envision an area with the greenway trails, homes with character, good schools, decent commute to hubby's office, a nice outdoor environment . . . and close proximity to retail and restaurants. Some of the neighborhoods that fit most of your criteria have newer homes.

I will DM you with more info.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post
ani - you are definitely helping - thank you! I actually live in Flower Mound, which is about the same distance as Frisco and Plano from Dallas, but farther West. What I like is the very friendly people, great schools in terms of how they are ranked/viewed by colleges, etc. (but in my opinion, too focused on increasing test scores and not fostering higher-level thinking or creativity), proximity to everything I need (schools, stores, etc.) What I would want to be different - MORE TREES and a closer to nature feel with more outdoor activities - bike and walking trails, etc., homes with more character, would LOVE to be in a more walkable neighborhood. If I could have those 3 things - it would be great! The other area I was checking out is Dilworth/Myers Park/Elizabeth - I thought I'd get the walkable town and older,more quaint housing that I'm looking for there - not sure about the outdoor feel. My husband is looking at a job in South Charlotte - actually I just looked it up and it's probably 20 min. south of center of the city - that may eliminate the Lake Norman area because of commute - he'll be commuting every day. Any other suggestions?? Thanks so much again!
As Ani said-think it would be a bit of a trek from M'ville to that far South of Charlotte.We aslo looked at Waxhaw, Indian trail and Tega Cay.
Also liked Belmont and there are waterfront homes there too (and in T/C as on Lake Wylie)
I know what you mean about drugs in high schools. apparently they do random searches of lockers at LNHS.Compared to his school in the UK it is much newer, cleaner and so far he hasn't witnessed the rudeness,fighting and disruption in school that went on here (and we lived in a nice 'burb of a city about half the size of Charlotte).Problem here is that we live on top of one another so most schools have very mixed catchment areas which can be good for kids in some ways but not in others!
Around Charlotte there are trees everywhere,it's beautiful and one of the reasons we chose the area.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:28 AM

Default re Belmont

This is a link to the Belmont area chamber of commerce.
I think Belmont has a good walkabilty rating and some older homes too.Nice park in the center and a coffee shop a couple of eateries and nice stores.Others may be able to tell you more about specific areas schools and commute times.
US Whitewater center and Daniel Stowe Botanical gardens close by.

Montcross Area Chamber of Commerce, Belmont, NC

http://www.cityofbelmont.org/

Last edited by susan42; 08-30-2009 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: sp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte