Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 09:47 PM

163 posts, read 586,281 times

Advertisements

Anyone buy a new home from them??

If so, what was your experience??

I have been having difficulty getting a few issues cleared up prior to close. I am worried if I close, and leave them outstanding, I may have even more problems getting them addressed...

I am going to speak with a lawyer tomorrow...To see what he can do...But just wanted to see if anyone would have any advice to offer while I wait.

Oh, I close next week on Tuesday at 3pm. The close has already been put off once due to this issue (I was suppose to close tomorrow) ...

Long story short...Our carpet has more then a few evident seems. SP has agreed to replace the carpet in one room, and trim down the other 2 seems....That being said...I am worried about the possible dye lot issues with the one room, and that the other two seems may still look bad even when trimmed down..

I am also not happy with our drainage ditch that runs along side our home, as it seems the pitch is a bit deep. I have already had them adjust this once, due to the property line not being graded correctly. Ended up that part of my neighbors sprinkler system was on my land! And when they regraded, they did not fill in to accommodate the ditch being moved over.

What a headache!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 06:10 AM

174 posts, read 732,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Anyone buy a new home from them??

If so, what was your experience??

I have been having difficulty getting a few issues cleared up prior to close. I am worried if I close, and leave them outstanding, I may have even more problems getting them addressed...

I am going to speak with a lawyer tomorrow...To see what he can do...But just wanted to see if anyone would have any advice to offer while I wait.

Oh, I close next week on Tuesday at 3pm. The close has already been put off once due to this issue (I was suppose to close tomorrow) ...

Long story short...Our carpet has more then a few evident seems. SP has agreed to replace the carpet in one room, and trim down the other 2 seems....That being said...I am worried about the possible dye lot issues with the one room, and that the other two seems may still look bad even when trimmed down..

I am also not happy with our drainage ditch that runs along side our home, as it seems the pitch is a bit deep. I have already had them adjust this once, due to the property line not being graded correctly. Ended up that part of my neighbors sprinkler system was on my land! And when they regraded, they did not fill in to accommodate the ditch being moved over.

What a headache!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..
I walked through one of their new homes being built by the new India Hook Elementary school in Rock Hill. From what I saw, I have to say that they really put their homes together well. All of the roof trusses are anchored down with galvanized steel hangers, that's impressive because it is not code here to do that. Most builders just nail the trusses to the top plate. They used multiple laminated beams for load bearing areas with large carriage bolts through them, which seems to be above and beyond the call of duty. The house I looked at had a thick poured concrete basement foundation, it looked like it could have been a bomb shelter.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:02 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,790 times
Is that Woodland Farms or something like that? If so, isn't that where you drive into the community and see the new fairgrounds in the background of the community? What were your thought of the community as a whole?

Old 04-27-2007, 04:17 PM

I can't comment on the Rock Hill development...not sure if its called woodland farms...

Whitley Mills (fort mill ~ pleasant rd to Whitley rd) is nice though....You just gotta be on top of the builder when it comes to your options/inside of your home...Making sure all is done to your satisfaction.

I hired a home inspector to inspect the home pre-dry wall, after dry wall, and a final inspection just before close (this is the guy I used bruceaking@bellsouth.net I thought he did a great job) I also did my own walk through, prior to the walk through that I had scheduled with the builder. I compiled my own list of things to be fixed in each room, and sent copies off to the construction manager, plus 3 others. Also, during the walk through with the builder, I added more to the list I had compiled..

Standard Pacific is a good builder. Though, like any builder, you need to be on top of things yourself....If not, you will have many regrets..

jmho!

Old 04-29-2007, 06:10 PM

37 posts, read 158,361 times
I own a Standard Pacific home in Rock Hill (the Ridge Pointe) community. Honestly, I only have good things to say about this builder --- and so does everyone else I have talked to in my community. We have had our home for a year so far and have not had a single problem. Personally, I think they are high quality builder.

By the way, they were the #1 rated builder by J.D. Power (tied with Centex). I think that speaks a lot about Standard Pacific.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:05 PM

80 posts, read 345,346 times
We were looking at a spec house in Reserve by SPH last weekend. We saw a few things in the house that speak to a rush job but the only one that really concerned me was the carpet in the master bedroom - Usually the only "visible" seam will be in a doorway. But in this house, it was 6' into the room, and VERY visible. It looked awful, and I wondered how hard it would be to get them to fix that correctly. Good luck! I'm sure they'll take care of you, but I would get everything taken care of before closing or escrow an amount of money to cover repairs afterward if they don't make good. A builder's imptetus to fix issues goes WAY down after closing. Perhaps your attorney will mention this to you as an option...

Old 06-05-2007, 02:12 PM

We opted out of getting the home....

For many reasons...One of which you mentioned..carpet seams. We paid a huge amount to upgrade. Spending the kind of money we were spending at the time, one would think this upgrade would include making sure the seams were eliminated as much as possible....not so apparently..

Old 11-09-2007, 12:12 PM

9 posts, read 48,664 times
As a Standard Pacific home buyer in San Antonio, I can tell you that the experience was HORRIBLE. I regret every minute of it and wish I had walked away. I hope it's not like that everywhere SP builds. Customer followup is HORRIBLE!!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 01:56 PM

367 posts, read 1,029,095 times
They don't use house rap like Tyvek or anything. That just screams they are cutting corners

Old 11-09-2007, 06:38 PM

45 posts, read 167,848 times
Default I Hate Sph

(Westfield) Standard Pacific homes are the worst! I bought a house in Riverbend (Mountain Island Lake area) and the hill in my backyard is too steep. They will not fix it. We went down to the city of charlotte and got the site plan and it clearly states that the slope should be 3:1 and it is not. It is 1.5:1 in some areas. The problem is that there aren't enough inspectors. My 2 other neighbors are really unhappy as well.

Also, I have hardwood floors in my dining room that are discolored in certain areas. They had the floor guy come to take a look and he said it was water damage. They had him pull up the boards and now are telling me that I must have spilled something on the floor to cause this damage. Meanwhile, we don't use the dining room and we have never spilled anything on the floor. The customer service guy is nice but his mgr is a moron....I could go on and on...I regret buying a Standard Pacific Home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte