Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:16 PM

693 posts, read 2,177,356 times

Advertisements

So, as it turned out neither of my very old cars qualify for cash for clunkers, apparently they both get 1 mile-per-gallon over the limit to qualify!

Unfortunately, the car doesn't know this and the other day I found out that I need a new transmission (way more than I can see putting in to a 16 year old car)

So, I am looking for a reputable car dealer with a good service department, who will make me a good deal without a cash for clunker rebate. Who do you recommend? Who should I stay far away from? Not sure what I want yet, trying to figure out where to start looking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 01:29 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,026,600 times
Curious on this one never knew there was such a thing

Old 08-13-2009, 02:08 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,022,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
curious on this one never knew there was such a thing
lol

Old 08-13-2009, 02:49 PM

5,459 posts, read 6,058,580 times
Honda Cars of Rockhill, just down 77 to the Dave Lyle Blvd. Exit.

Here's my story:

Wife was driving our car, and a woman decided it looked better totaled. We got a rental from the insurance company, but once they settled on the cost of the vehicle and we got the check, the rental was gone.
We wanted a new Honda Odyssey, but at the time the wait was a month or so because they were in great demand. We ordered one from Honda of Rockhill. When we realized we couldn't keep the rental until the new van came in, we explained it to the dealer. He offered to sell us a Honda Accord lease vehicle with 15,000 miles on it. He also agreed to buy it back from us in three months when the van arrived for 500 dollars less than we paid him for it.
I've purchased four new cars from the dealership since then, from 3 different salespeople. I always got a decent deal, and the service dept. is exceptional.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:58 PM

393 posts, read 1,188,457 times
New car buying guide, how to buy new cars, avoid dealer scams when you buy a car

Read it before you buy. I followed it and paid $2,300 UNDER INVOICE on my brand new 2008 Acura TSX.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:04 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,831,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Honda Cars of Rockhill, just down 77 to the Dave Lyle Blvd. Exit.

Here's my story:

Wife was driving our car, and a woman decided it looked better totaled. We got a rental from the insurance company, but once they settled on the cost of the vehicle and we got the check, the rental was gone.
We wanted a new Honda Odyssey, but at the time the wait was a month or so because they were in great demand. We ordered one from Honda of Rockhill. When we realized we couldn't keep the rental until the new van came in, we explained it to the dealer. He offered to sell us a Honda Accord lease vehicle with 15,000 miles on it. He also agreed to buy it back from us in three months when the van arrived for 500 dollars less than we paid him for it.
I've purchased four new cars from the dealership since then, from 3 different salespeople. I always got a decent deal, and the service dept. is exceptional.
I wonder if the woman that totaled your car was married to the man who decided to total mine. We had a Jetta TDI (diesel) and thought we'd have it another 10 years. We will be going with another diesel Jetta or Passat.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:28 PM

5,459 posts, read 6,058,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
I wonder if the woman that totaled your car was married to the man who decided to total mine. We had a Jetta TDI (diesel) and thought we'd have it another 10 years. We will be going with another diesel Jetta or Passat.
We had a Golf GTI for years. Loved it!
Friend had a Rabbit Diesel, 240,000 miles before he sold it. (Of course, you did have to turn off the air conditioner going up long hills with four people in the car... ha!)

Old 08-13-2009, 04:09 PM

716 posts, read 1,545,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
So, as it turned out neither of my very old cars qualify for cash for clunkers, apparently they both get 1 mile-per-gallon over the limit to qualify!

Unfortunately, the car doesn't know this and the other day I found out that I need a new transmission (way more than I can see putting in to a 16 year old car)

So, I am looking for a reputable car dealer with a good service department, who will make me a good deal without a cash for clunker rebate. Who do you recommend? Who should I stay far away from? Not sure what I want yet, trying to figure out where to start looking...

A 16 year old car that needs a new transmission? Depending on how many miles it has you would probably be lucky to get a few hundred dollars for it if that!!!

Old 08-13-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
A 16 year old car that needs a new transmission? Depending on how many miles it has you would probably be lucky to get a few hundred dollars for it if that!!!
Yep...I got it new and have definitely milked every penny I spent out of it. She was a good car, but it's time. I ..heard some ads recently offering to double trade in value...and every bit helps.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber_bwnage View Post
New car buying guide, how to buy new cars, avoid dealer scams when you buy a car

Read it before you buy. I followed it and paid $2,300 UNDER INVOICE on my brand new 2008 Acura TSX.
That's perfect!!! Thank you for that awesome link!

Thanks to you too GETATAG, I will check them out this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: