Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:24 AM

794 posts, read 1,865,010 times

Advertisements

I live in New York and hope to relocate to CLT sometime later this year. I have a large 4 bedroom house and I'm looking for moving company recommendations.

Also, if you can share your do's and don'ts I would really appreciate it.

Regards,
Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 10:48 AM

248 posts, read 723,307 times
I moved from DC to NC.

I called moving help for loading and unloading.. but I drove the truck myself from DC to NC. Its 400 miles and I am OK with driving..

I rented a Penske Truck..

I hired labor from LaborReady.com 14.90 per person per hour. 2 people did my 2 BR House in 2hours. You have to pay a minimum 4 hours.. so I paid 119.60 but their moving was only around 90 mins..

So.. if you are ready to do the drive.. and only hire labor to load and unload.. I can give u tips on how to rent the truck for cheaper and eazier.

also, there is movinghelp.com where you can get loading/unloading help for cheap.
also there is uship.com where you register and list what is your stuff and professional moving companies bid for your loading/moving/unloading job and u can pick the lowest bidder.. (uship is like ebay so most of the stuff is monitored and regulated and hassle free.)

Hey.. Also reading some other threads might help.. Welcome to Charlotte.. Can I ask whats bringing you to charlotte from nyc?

Old 07-15-2009, 12:33 PM

201 posts, read 671,546 times
Hi! Welcome to Charlotte!

Mathews Moving has been moving my family for years.

They have been with us to Philadelphia and back, and local moves as well.

They've taken great care of our belongings, and were so nice to work with. I think they kept me calm during the stress of moving, lol!

I'm sure you'll get more suggestions, as there are some really good moving companies here in Charlotte.

Good luck, and welcome!

Old 07-15-2009, 01:18 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,721,322 times
I have used Hilldrup United Van Lines two times and both times have been great.

Do you research and at least google every company before you chose one. There are some very shady moving companies out there.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:52 PM

HI BlueTruckGuy,

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think my stuff would fit in a rental truck. I've actually moved myself in the past, but the average Ryder Truck is roughly 25-26 feet and I think we would exceed the space. Perhaps I should start getting ride of some stuff!!!! LOL

Your idea is a good one, though.

I work for a local CLT bank and I have been commuting for the last 3 months, my youngest daughter just graduated high school and is attending Old Dominion in VA in the fall, my taxes in NY are out of control ($20K per year), I have a 2 hour commute (each way), and I can't stand the cold any more. I have actually grown to like CLT very much especially the friendly folks who live there. The communities are great and I find Uptown a charming city with big city benefits and not much downside.

I've lived in Miami and loved it there, but I'm deathly afraid of hurricanes after going through Andrew. We are in a prime position to benefit from moving to CLT and improving our quality of life.

Hope that gives you some insight.

Regards,
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetruckguy View Post
I moved from DC to NC.

I called moving help for loading and unloading.. but I drove the truck myself from DC to NC. Its 400 miles and I am OK with driving..

I rented a Penske Truck..

I hired labor from LaborReady.com 14.90 per person per hour. 2 people did my 2 BR House in 2hours. You have to pay a minimum 4 hours.. so I paid 119.60 but their moving was only around 90 mins..

So.. if you are ready to do the drive.. and only hire labor to load and unload.. I can give u tips on how to rent the truck for cheaper and eazier.

also, there is movinghelp.com where you can get loading/unloading help for cheap.
also there is uship.com where you register and list what is your stuff and professional moving companies bid for your loading/moving/unloading job and u can pick the lowest bidder.. (uship is like ebay so most of the stuff is monitored and regulated and hassle free.)

Hey.. Also reading some other threads might help.. Welcome to Charlotte.. Can I ask whats bringing you to charlotte from nyc?

Old 07-15-2009, 03:54 PM

Your exactly right. I have received some wacky proposals; from $2000 to $10,000 without even visiting my home and doing an itemized inventory!!!

Asking you fine folks for feedback is part of my homework process, so thanks for your help!

Regards,
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
I have used Hilldrup United Van Lines two times and both times have been great.

Do you research and at least google every company before you chose one. There are some very shady moving companies out there.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:09 PM

163 posts, read 475,952 times
Just moved to Charlotte from Amarillo and we used Bekins. Feel free to DM for more info.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,364 times
I moved from Brewster NY to Charlotte in December. I used United Van Lines out of Danbury CT. They were absolutely phenomenal - from beginning to end. I decided to get rid of my living room and dining room furniture before I left - so didn't have as much furniture as normal, but the total cost for the move was right at $2000. I did the packing - but they supplied the boxes, paper, and all the labor. And, they would have stored it all for up to a month for no charge.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:11 PM

14 posts, read 49,267 times
Default Moving Co

In late May we used North American Van Lines to move a 5 bedroom house from PA to NC. They were great. Best tip I can give is to get insurance with a zero deductible. Drivers are held responsible for claims and when you have a zero deductible they are even more careful. I also walked the movers through the house on moving day and explained what stuff was high end and they made very sure it was well handled. Finally, DO NOT contract with anyone who will not give you a guaranteed price.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:07 PM

12 posts, read 25,703 times
Hey we used Graebel Van lines. They were great! We had them pack move and we had to store some stuff. Clean, professional, nothing broke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte