Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 08:12 PM

5 posts, read 13,083 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving from Pittsburgh to Charlotte for just less than a year and then moving back. I will be doing some specialty training and we will be living in an apartment. Do we have to change our plates and registrations for this time period. I talked to my local insurance agent and they told me to check on the state and if we keep a local Pittsburgh address (my parents) and we don't get new plates, they will still provide coverage. Any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:17 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,838,183 times
I think you have 30 days once you set up residence. I wouldn't worry too much about it since tons of people are running well-expired 30-day tags and even more have fake or expired tags and no insurance. I figure if you're insured, no worries.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:30 PM

9 posts, read 22,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaxton View Post
My wife and I are moving from Pittsburgh to Charlotte for just less than a year and then moving back. I will be doing some specialty training and we will be living in an apartment. Do we have to change our plates and registrations for this time period. I talked to my local insurance agent and they told me to check on the state and if we keep a local Pittsburgh address (my parents) and we don't get new plates, they will still provide coverage. Any thoughts.

If you're permanent residence is going to be in Pittsburgh, then you don't have to worry about changing anything. I have family that owns a house in the mountains and they'll spend 6 months out of the year here and go back to where they live. They don't change their information because this is not their permanent residence.

If you're thinking about moving over here permanently, then I believe you have up to a year to get your driver's license, plates, etc...

I'f I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.....

Old 06-22-2009, 03:22 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,214,812 times
This is what the state says on the NCDOT site.

Tags
In the case of new residents, you must register your motor vehicle at the expiration of the time granted by reciprocity agreement between North Carolina and your prior state of residence (usually 30 days) or when gainful employment is accepted, whichever occurs first.

License
A new resident has 60 days after establishing residence to obtain a North Carolina license or learner permit.

Since you are asking then IMO you probably want to get this stuff changed to NC. You might never get caught but if you are ever involved in an accident or get stopped you don't want this kind of thing to be an issue.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:36 PM

624 posts, read 2,109,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaxton View Post
My wife and I are moving from Pittsburgh to Charlotte for just less than a year and then moving back...
Since you'll be here less than a year, I wouldn't bother.

Your insurance company is going to continue to cover you. You have an address in PA that you can continue to use. As long as you keep your registration and emissions and inspections up to date in PA, I'd just leave them.

Dealing with the DMV, paying taxes on your car, plus shelling out the money for the registration to be changed over is gonna be a couple of hundred bucks. Then you'll have to do it all over again when you return to PA in "less than a year."

In case you're a little masochist and have an urge to go to the DMV:

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_ser...oRegister.html

And a whole bunch of threads dealing with the DMV:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ion-taxes.html

And a whole bunch of threads dealing with Charlotte in general:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...on-topics.html

Old 06-22-2009, 05:16 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,493,300 times
We were here for 9 months before changing our tags and licenses.

Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: