Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 08:46 PM

193 posts, read 246,094 times

Advertisements

Do you all think that someone who is a young professional would want to live in the university area? Why or why not? If not, then where would most young professionals want to live?

I'm particularly interested to see if there is a difference in the way that native Charlotteans and newcomers view the area, so please include how long you've been in CLT with your answer. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 11:25 PM

3 posts, read 7,257 times
I have lived in Charlotte most of my life, and in my opinion the University Area is one of the least desirable areas of Charlotte. There is nothing unique or interesting about it. Higher crime rates, not as well-kept, etc. It is also definitely not the place for young professionals. I would reccommend something just outside of downtown.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:51 AM

876 posts, read 3,797,300 times
We have a rental condo in Cornelius on Lake Norman that is FULL of young professionals...

Old 04-10-2007, 08:03 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,843,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmHorns View Post
Do you all think that someone who is a young professional would want to live in the university area? Why or why not? If not, then where would most young professionals want to live?

I'm particularly interested to see if there is a difference in the way that native Charlotteans and newcomers view the area, so please include how long you've been in CLT with your answer. Thanks!
Right now its the College town and thats the scene as of now. Once the city comes back over to that side which should be after they clean up Eastland Mall area it probably would not be that bad.

I see it as once the kids grduate from School they move out of the area. Once it becomes Trendy and gets a cool name such as SoDa etc people will be flocking there.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
We have a rental condo in Cornelius on Lake Norman that is FULL of young professionals...
Lake Norman isn't exactly the university area.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Right now its the College town and thats the scene as of now. Once the city comes back over to that side which should be after they clean up Eastland Mall area it probably would not be that bad.

I see it as once the kids grduate from School they move out of the area. Once it becomes Trendy and gets a cool name such as SoDa etc people will be flocking there.
I agree that the land around bEastland Mall is too valuable to stay in the dumps forever but I'm not sure that that will translate to the university area.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:10 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,843,968 times
Well to clean up the Eastland Mall translates to The Plaza and such. As that comes down as well as the development from Downtown/Uptown along 49 the 2nd tier investors will start sprucing up the University area.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:39 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,760,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmHorns View Post

I've lived in the University area for 10 years. There are tons of young professionals in this area. Contrary to what some on this board would have you believe it "is not" some depressed area of town riddled with poverty and crime. Its actually "too big" to be that. The University area covers everything starting from I-77 at Harris Blvd. all the way East on Harris to just past Old Concord Road. And the area starting at Harris Blvd. north to just before Concord and Harrisburg. It also includes areas like the Eastfield Road, Properity Church Road and Mallard Creek Road areas. Like all parts of town, there are places that are nicer than others. But you find all extremes here. If there's any particular information you'd care to know about the area, just ask and I'll try my best to help.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:18 PM

505 posts, read 2,546,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbs View Post
I have lived in Charlotte most of my life, and in my opinion the University Area is one of the least desirable areas of Charlotte. There is nothing unique or interesting about it. Higher crime rates, not as well-kept, etc. It is also definitely not the place for young professionals. I would reccommend something just outside of downtown.

I would reccommend uptown Charlotte myself.....I bet there is plenty of young professionals living there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte