Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:44 AM

60 posts, read 180,788 times

Advertisements

Hello! My son is 3 yrs old and we are trying to plan ahead for his education. I want to give him the best education and environment to learn at this very young age. However, a lot of private schools are very expensive (as to be expected). Does anyone know of Pre-K / Kindergarten schools that are really good and free, or offer financial aid? Or, simply affordable? Your help is much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 10:04 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,067,711 times
I know not everyone has the desire or time to do it, but have you considered homeschooling for preschool? There are play groups and such for socialization and I would bet many of those parents are doing their own kindergarten prep at home too. You can find preschool/homeschool curriculum fairly easily and inexpensively (as opposed to preschools and private schools).

The other suggestion would be to find a preschools or daycare that has part time (2-3 times per week) preschool classes. My SIL taught preschool part time along with her in-home daycare. Kids would come 2 times per week for 2 hours each time. DS was enrolled in a preschool 3 mornings per week until we realized he wasn't thriving and we could do more with him at home. Either way, there may be more affordable part time options.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:32 AM

Thank NC! Unfortunatley, being a full time working mom, homeschooling may not be ideal for me. However, I'm sure its a great way to go! Thanks anyways!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:26 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSpa View Post
Hello! My son is 3 yrs old and we are trying to plan ahead for his education. I want to give him the best education and environment to learn at this very young age. However, a lot of private schools are very expensive (as to be expected). Does anyone know of Pre-K / Kindergarten schools that are really good and free, or offer financial aid? Or, simply affordable? Your help is much appreciated!!!
I applaud your determination to find a great school situation for your son. You seem like a great candidate for one of the Charter Schools in Charlotte. Charter Schools are free because they are public schools, but admission can be tough because of waiting lists. Start looking into them now so you'll find one early. Don't know what side of town you're on, but if you are near south/southeast Charlotte I would highly recommend Socrates Academy when he is ready for kindergarten

Socrates Academy - Home Page

Old 05-07-2009, 12:31 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,683,542 times
Have you looked into the YMCA? They have a preschool program for 3 year olds and up. They do offer financial aid; it may be an option for you. I'm not sure where you're located, but there are branches all over the city. Good luck to you!

Old 05-07-2009, 02:04 PM

Wow...thanks LovesMountains...I'm going to check out that link. I'm all for Charter schools if they are good. Private schools are so darn expensive! Ugh! I'm looking into it now. I'm willing to travel within Charlotte for good schooling so if you know of any others, please let me know or send a link. Thanks again! This really helps and i'm getting on the ball NOW!

Old 05-07-2009, 02:16 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSpa View Post
Wow...thanks LovesMountains...I'm going to check out that link. I'm all for Charter schools if they are good. Private schools are so darn expensive! Ugh! I'm looking into it now. I'm willing to travel within Charlotte for good schooling so if you know of any others, please let me know or send a link. Thanks again! This really helps and i'm getting on the ball NOW!
So glad to be of help If you are near Mint Hill this is one of the other charters getting rave reviews:

Queen's Grant Community School :: Mint Hill, NC Charter School :: Premier Charter School in North Carolina

Old 05-07-2009, 02:52 PM

Thanks Loves Mountains!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 05:28 PM

276 posts, read 1,142,859 times
Headstart???

Old 05-07-2009, 05:50 PM

450 posts, read 2,322,791 times
We checked into NC's Smart Start at 4 program and were shell shocked. Preschools are expensive, we are a one income family in a county where cost of living is high not to mention this economy.

We were told on our one income, we would have to have about 7 kids to qualify for this program!!!!!!!! (We have 2, only one is preschool age- now she is school age) but jeez!!!!!!! And we were told even then it would be iffy!!!! We are so not near wealthy at all!!!!!!!!!

I recently read that the state is considering cutting the Smart Start program. Well they might as well, if they aren't using it!!! I applied because I heard radio ads and called and asked, and they were having trouble filling the program, yet turning people down if they make more than about $12,000 a year it seems! Whatever! Seats were not filled here this year....we scraped by without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte