Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:39 AM

17 posts, read 39,908 times

Advertisements

Hello, there.

My husband is being transferred to manage a project in Cliffside, North Carolina - needless to say, kind of in the middle of nowhere.

We are a family of four - two kids - ages 8 and 5 - so we are looking for a suburban area to live that offers excellent public schools (don't have the funds for private), close enough to Cliffside for a decent commute (an hour at the most), and close to amenities - shopping, restaurants, entertainment, etc.

Any suggestions? I have been looking on the Internet and have noticed Gastonia, Mount Holly, and also some areas in South Carolina - Lake Wylie, Tega Cay, and Fort Mill.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 12:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,926,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctatom View Post
Hello, there.

My husband is being transferred to manage a project in Cliffside, North Carolina - needless to say, kind of in the middle of nowhere.

We are a family of four - two kids - ages 8 and 5 - so we are looking for a suburban area to live that offers excellent public schools (don't have the funds for private), close enough to Cliffside for a decent commute (an hour at the most), and close to amenities - shopping, restaurants, entertainment, etc.

Any suggestions? I have been looking on the Internet and have noticed Gastonia, Mount Holly, and also some areas in South Carolina - Lake Wylie, Tega Cay, and Fort Mill.

As I just answered you on your other thread, some spots in SC will be perfect for you, but not the ones you have listed here.

Tega Cay and Fort Mill have excellent schools but the commute to Cliffside would be well over an hour, like an hour and a half.

Gastonia is right at the hour mark, and you would find the amenities you mentioned wanting, except for the excellent schools. Now, there are some good ones to be found, just not necessarily all over so your selection would limited and your husband would still have to drive an hour. Mt. Holly is nice, but mostly rural, so you'd have to drive to Charlotte or Gastonia for your amenities for the most part.

You are really better off concentrating on Spartanburg, Hendersonville or even Greenville, SC - which is also at an hour but a much more interesting city to live in than Gastonia in my opinion.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:37 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,796,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctatom View Post
Hello, there.

Cliffside is just across the line into Rutherford County, not all that far from Shelby. You do not want to be living in the immediate suburbs of Charlotte. I would suggest checking online for schools in Spartanburg, & Gaffney, SC, and Kings Mountain, & Cherryville, in NC. in Kings Mountain & Cherryville you would be running between Shelby & Gastonia for most of your shopping. I have heard nothing about schools in Grover, but there are some nice houses there. The state line goes through the town, so you have to check both states, concerning schools

Several people on this board are in Cherryville. I am in Kings Mountain. I do not have kids in the schools but I have spoken to several other transplants who are happy with them. I have heard complaints about the Kings Mountain schools from people with grown children, but people with kids in the schools now are very happy.

Comfort Food lives in Boiling Springs which is not that far from Cliffside & could tell you about Forest City, for shopping.

Kings Mountain & Cherryville also open up the possibility of running to Hickory for some shopping.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Cliffside is just across the line into Rutherford County, not all that far from Shelby. You do not want to be living in the immediate suburbs of Charlotte. I would suggest checking online for schools in Spartanburg, & Gaffney, SC, and Kings Mountain, & Cherryville, in NC. in Kings Mountain & Cherryville you would be running between Shelby & Gastonia for most of your shopping. I have heard nothing about schools in Grover, but there are some nice houses there. The state line goes through the town, so you have to check both states, concerning schools

Several people on this board are in Cherryville. I am in Kings Mountain. I do not have kids in the schools but I have spoken to several other transplants who are happy with them. I have heard complaints about the Kings Mountain schools from people with grown children, but people with kids in the schools now are very happy.

Comfort Food lives in Boiling Springs which is not that far from Cliffside & could tell you about Forest City, for shopping.

Kings Mountain & Cherryville also open up the possibility of running to Hickory for some shopping.

I guess Cherryville to Hickory would be about 35-40 minutes - seems kind of far to me to have that be the most convenient spot to go out to a nice restaurant or for the upscale shopping the OP probably wants. And thing is, she seems to want a more suburban area - Cherryville only has a population of around 6000. She's better off going down to Gaffney where her husbands commute would be 20 minutes and the population is at least 12,000.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hickory??? Did you realllllly mean to type Hickory?
lovesMountain, I sure did say that she could go to Hickory for some shopping, if they move to Kings Mountain or Cherryville. it's right up 321 from Gastonia & there are back roads to Hickory from this area.

The people doing my floors live between Morgantown & Hickory. One of them commutes to this area daily & works for an electrical contractor all over Lincoln, Gaston & Cleveland counties.

I realize that I haven't been here that long, but I live out here & I talk to the other people who live out here. There are people here who commute to South Charlotte & to Hickory.

I did not suggest that they move to Hickory. That would be stupid, & I am not stupid. I suggested Hickory for shopping, if the OP felt that the schools in Kings Mountain or Cherryville met her criteria.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
lovesMountain, I sure did say that she could go to Hickory for some shopping, if they move to Kings Mountain or Cherryville. it's right up 321 from Gastonia & there are back roads to Hickory from this area.

The people doing my floors live between Morgantown & Hickory. One of them commutes to this area daily & works for an electrical contractor all over Lincoln, Gaston & Cleveland counties.

I realize that I haven't been here that long, but I live out here & I talk to the other people who live out here. There are people here who commute to South Charlotte & to Hickory.

I did not suggest that they move to Hickory. That would be stupid, & I am not stupid. I suggested Hickory for shopping, if the OP felt that the schools in Kings Mountain or Cherryville met her criteria.
You must have missed how I edited my post - I tried to do it quickly, but I guess I wasn't quick enough, sorry about that.

I took you to mean she could live near Cliffside and travel to Hickory for her shoppping. Then I read it again and saw you were saying live in CHERRRYVILLE and go to Hickory - a much better situation at about 30 minutes But like I said above, not nearly so convenient as just living in a bigger area that will have shopping already, like Hendersonville or Spartanburg.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I guess Cherryville to Hickory would be about 35-40 minutes - seems kind of far to me to have that be the most convenient spot to go out to a nice restaurant or for the upscale shopping the OP probably wants. And thing is, she seems to want a more suburban area - Cherryville only has a population of around 6000. She's better off going down to Gaffney where her husbands commute would be 20 minutes and the population is at least 12,000.
lovesMountains, again, I live out here, & having lived 10 miles from Center City Philly for over 40 years, I'm not unaware of what the suburbs are as well as amenities. There are some nice places to eat out here. There are also nice places in Gastonia. I can get there in 15 minutes, on 74, faster on 85. I'm not in the sticks. There is a very nice mall in Gastonia. Yes, I have to go to South Charlotte for Trader Joe's & Ulta. It's not a bad drive.

Her husband's job location is slightly problematic, but nothing that can not be overcome.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
lovesMountains, again, I live out here, & having lived 10 miles from Center City Philly for over 40 years, I'm not unaware of what the suburbs are as well as amenities. There are some nice places to eat out here. There are also nice places in Gastonia. I can get there in 15 minutes, on 74, faster on 85. I'm not in the sticks. There is a very nice mall in Gastonia. Yes, I have to go to South Charlotte for Trader Joe's & Ulta. It's not a bad drive.

Her husband's job location is slightly problematic, but nothing that can not be overcome.
Rural America is my kind of America - I love where you live! (If I had my druthers I'd be out there with you

Just trying to help this OP get what she's looking for, and I sense that's a bigger city with more entertainment and upscale restaurants than she will find in places like Kings Mountain, Shelby or Cherryville I still think one of her best bets is to live on the southern end of Hendersonville - her husband gets a decent commute and she gets all the other stuff she listed as important.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
You must have missed how I edited my post - I tried to do it quickly, but I guess I wasn't quick enough, sorry about that.

I took you to mean she could live near Cliffside and travel to Hickory for her shoppping. Then I read it again and saw you were saying live in CHERRRYVILLE and go to Hickory - a much better situation at about 30 minutes But like I said above, not nearly so convenient as just living in a bigger area that will have shopping already, like Hendersonville or Spartanburg.
I gave her my best guess on locations to live that would be the least problem for her husband's commute, but still reasonable for shopping. I'm assuming nothing as to what she wants besides good schooling for her children. Gaffney is 20 miles from here on 85.

By the way, my local Ingles supermarket is kicking the other grocery stores' butts & in my opinion, having a nice, big, well-lit supermarket with a good selection of merchandise & good prices trumps any upscale amenities that are optional. Buying food is not optional.

Last edited by southbound_295; 05-03-2009 at 01:44 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Rural America is my kind of America - I love where you live! (If I had my druthers I'd be out there with you

Just trying to help this OP get what she's looking for, and I sense that's a bigger city with more entertainment and upscale restaurants than she will find in places like Kings Mountain, Shelby or Cherryville I still think one of her best bets is to live on the southern end of Hendersonville - her husband gets a decent commute and she gets all the other stuff she listed as important.
I'm trying to do the same. Kings Mountain is not rural (close, but you have to go just beyond to get rural), but the shopping here is lacking, so I run between Gastonia & Shelby. There is new construction still going on out here, just slowed down.

Since she was focused on Charlotte, I was trying to suggest places that would be viable for them to live, based on what I know of the area & what I have been told by other residents, life-long & transplants, that would still give her reasonable access to Charlotte.

Anyplace west of Charlotte has been negatively impacted by the mill closures. It's just a given. You can't escape it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte