Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 06:23 AM

87 posts, read 342,752 times

Advertisements

This is my first time having a puppy; I just adopted him through several intermediary channels. I was told the puppy is up to date on shots. However, I still wanted to take him to a vet. Does anyone know what shots are recommended, how often to have, and how much are they? I know a vet would tell me but I've heard some recommend unnecessary shots and some charger higher than others. Thanks for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 07:06 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,827,713 times
Call the vet up and tell them what shots the pup has received. They will tell you what and when he needs next. They need a couple rounds, I'd have to look at my paperwork but expect about $100. Make sure you do the hearworm medication.

Congrat's on being a new pet owner.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
Call the vet up and tell them what shots the pup has received. They will tell you what and when he needs next. They need a couple rounds, I'd have to look at my paperwork but expect about $100. Make sure you do the hearworm medication.

Congrat's on being a new pet owner.

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:32 AM

769 posts, read 2,219,957 times
I just did a search on Ask.com for puppy shots and all the sites recommend taking your puppy in for an exam and vaccinations every 3 weeks between the ages of 6 weeks and 15 weeks - that means 4 trips to the vet in less than a year. This site was the easiest to decipher that I found (it's from a vets office)
http://www.ask.com/bar?q=puppy+shots...y_vaccines.htm

Old 02-13-2009, 09:41 AM

Thanks everyone for your input.

I just learned about Humane Society of Charlotte; they do offer rabbies and distemper/parvo shot at a very discounted price. I think I'll take my dog there.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:44 AM

279 posts, read 1,085,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phugia View Post
This is my first time having a puppy; I just adopted him through several intermediary channels. I was told the puppy is up to date on shots. However, I still wanted to take him to a vet. Does anyone know what shots are recommended, how often to have, and how much are they? I know a vet would tell me but I've heard some recommend unnecessary shots and some charger higher than others. Thanks for your advice!
Congrats on your puppy - did the foster parent or owner give you the vet paperwork? If not, please see if you can get that. You don't want to double up on shots if you can help it. My cat has had negative reactions to shots b/c she likely already had them as a kitten, but I found her as a stray so had no idea of her vet history. Please see if you can get the vet records--if not directly in hand from those who last had him/her then call the vet the pup last went to. Good luck!

Offhand, recommended immunizations are rabies, distemper/parvo (given in 2 doses 3-4 weeks between each), and bordetella. Please remember to spay/neuter asap, too!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 10:53 AM

905 posts, read 3,454,168 times
A word of advice based on personal experience. Be sure your pup is in good health when vaccinated. Our dog came from the pound and had kennel cough when vaccinated. At 9 mos he developed arthritis and we have spent tons of money treating him. We ended up at a holistic vet, she said being vaccinated with a live vaccine while ill probably sent his immune system into hyper overdrive resulting in his condition. So if he is sick, get him better then immunize him.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:41 PM

198 posts, read 641,957 times
If it turns out that your new puppy needs any more shots, I highly recommend avoiding anything by the company Fort Dodge. They've had a TON of medical issues associated with their products -- Google them if you want more info. Ask your vet and they will be able to tell you what brand they use.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:21 PM

279 posts, read 1,085,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM08 View Post
If it turns out that your new puppy needs any more shots, I highly recommend avoiding anything by the company Fort Dodge. They've had a TON of medical issues associated with their products -- Google them if you want more info. Ask your vet and they will be able to tell you what brand they use.
This is interesting, is this brand used widely around here? My cat never had a problem with vaccine reactions until we moved here (we previously lived in OR). She specifically had reactions (lump developed under the skin twice, and the first time it burst and caused a lesion) from the feline leukemia vaccine. My dog also recently had an injection site reaction to a new anti-nausea drug called Cerenia (I believe Pfizer makes it). The vets have told us this type of reaction is "really unusual", but I've heard from many neighbors lately that their pets have also experienced this.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:13 PM

198 posts, read 641,957 times
Fort Dodge is made by Wyeth, and has an incredibly bad reputation among serious dog enthusiasts. Not only will I specifically confirm that none of my dogs' vaccines are Fort Dodge, but I will actually refuse to go to any vet that uses these products. There have been too many lawsuits, complaints, and anecdotal accounts for me to risk my dogs' lives, and I know of many other dog owners who feel the same way.

The main problems seem to have occurred with 5-in-one vaccines. I would beware of these "multi-vaccine" cocktails with any brand, not just Fort Dodge. It's better that your pets get vaccines in small amounts, preferably one at a time, than to expose their bodies to too much at once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: