Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 11:47 AM

983 posts, read 2,542,407 times

Advertisements

It's time to take a vote and get some feedback. I have been looking for homes the past month and today I found two homes I like, one older two story 4 bd / 2.5 bath, all brick, will need some updates for sure. This one is in Touch Stone, older area close to Trader Joe's. The house backs to nature area with trails and the house has a great backyard. The second house is a new one at Stone Creek Ranch, the floor plan should be 3 bedrooms, but now one room is an office without closet and has French doors. It's single story and backs to a little pond. It's next to Polo Elementary school. Since I am new to Charlotte I really need your help with these areas, the good, the bad and the ugly. The price will end up being the same after updating the older home. Thanks everyone in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 11:53 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
It's time to take a vote and get some feedback. I have been looking for homes the past month and today I found two homes I like, one older two story 4 bd / 2.5 bath, all brick, will need some updates for sure. This one is in Touch Stone, older area close to Trader Joe's. The house backs to nature area with trails and the house has a great backyard. The second house is a new one at Stone Creek Ranch, the floor plan should be 3 bedrooms, but now one room is an office without closet and has French doors. It's single story and backs to a little pond. It's next to Polo Elementary school. Since I am new to Charlotte I really need your help with these areas, the good, the bad and the ugly. The price will end up being the same after updating the older home. Thanks everyone in advance.
Gosh, that's a tough one - what a happy choice for you though!

First of all, where do you have to go for work? Touchstone is much closer in and would give you the better commute to uptown, but maybe that isn't an issue for you? I really like both neighborhoods and can't think of a bad thing to tell you about either. I'm a little partial to established, built out neighborhoods myself so I will vote for Touchstone

Old 01-30-2009, 12:29 PM

Thanks LovesMountains, I work from home, so the commute is not an issue. I am just concerned about the age of the older home, it was built in 1988, it's an all brick home and looks in great shape, of course I will be doing inspections. Keep the votes coming :-)

Old 01-30-2009, 12:33 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,681,734 times
You have me curious. I am familiar with Stone Creek Ranch, but I do not know where TouchStone is. Are there any landmarks/cross streets nearby?

Old 01-30-2009, 12:34 PM

797 posts, read 3,295,817 times
I would do stone creek ranch. Nice area, nice amenities and new house.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:35 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,183 times
Depends on how long you plan on staying there. Stone Creek Ranch will have new home competition for a long time.... Touchstone is an established neighborhood.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:50 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
You have me curious. I am familiar with Stone Creek Ranch, but I do not know where TouchStone is. Are there any landmarks/cross streets nearby?
Elm Lane near hwy 51

Old 01-30-2009, 01:55 PM

Default Touch Stone is

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
You Can get to it from Bevington Pl off Rea Rd (Next to Trader Joe's) or Elm Lane.

The school for this house is South Charlotte and for the new one is Ardery Kell, any thoughts on them?? I don't have kids, but for future sale that would help

Old 01-30-2009, 02:06 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,681,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Elm Lane near hwy 51
Thank you, Loves! My initial response would be to go for the one at Touchstone. All brick, inside 485, probably has mature trees. I haven't been in that subdivision, though, so it's hard to have a well-informed opinion. Nice areas for both choices. Stone Creek Ranch had quite a few "for rent" signs last time I drove through. I imagine that's going to be more common with the economic times (and certainly not necessarily a bad thing...I was a responsible renter for years), but it may be something to consider. There are some beautiful homes in SCR, though.
Good luck with your choice!

Old 01-30-2009, 02:09 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,058,986 times
When you move into a new home, you have to paint, landscape and put up window treatments and such. With an older home, much of this is done already. You also have to look at the neighbors that live there already. Are there vacant lots around the house in SCR? If so, you'll be surrounded by construction for many years. Also how far away is the house from 485? Can you hear the highway traffic? Will the school traffic be an issue for new buyers or is there another way out of the community without passing in front of the school?

Where in Touchstone is the property? There is a popular bar called the Yellow Rose right behind that community and people leave from there and drive through Touchstone to get to Elm. People also use that as a shortcut to get to Elm and Rea from 51 during rush hour. So, just make sure you're not on that main strip.

I hope this helps you make up your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte