Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:53 PM

9 posts, read 31,407 times

Advertisements

Does anybody work for Duke-Energy (Mcguire Plant)? I just recieved an offer to begin as an operator at the Mcguire Nuclear Station. I was wondering if anyone else here worked there, and if I could get some feedback on the job? Is it a nice place to work? Do you like it? Advancement progressions? I am pretty excited, and just want to find out more about the plant/job. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 08:03 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,470,063 times
My boss's husband works there...not sure of his title, but it's something to do with shift work on the reactor. Probably an operator. He must make pretty good money given the amount of griping my boss makes about her husband's job and how Duke can change things up last minute on them. I'm sure it gets a little bit of her perspective spun on it by the time I hear about it, but some of the stuff sounds no fun. For example, since you're at the helm of a nuclear reactor, they have a level of authority over you that cancels vacations and darn near forces you to go to work when they say...even off shift if you're the only one available. This isn't necessarily a bad thing and is certainly an exception to the norm. It's just the basis of some of her gripes. But all in all, it sounds like a good place to work.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:36 PM

380 posts, read 1,758,269 times
My husband works there and raves about how good they are to the employees. The last plant he worked for was not at all. He says nothing but good about it.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:24 PM

Thanks, Yeah I would be doing the shift work stuff on the reactor plant. I kind of expect it to be a little stressful with the wierd hours, but I'll be going there from the Navy, and the hours here aren't a piece of cake. At least I would be able to go home after the shift is done. That also sounds great the way they treat their workers.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:08 AM

72 posts, read 210,866 times
Navy nuke Huh? I applied there when I got out of the navy also. Eventually I became a contractor at Catawba. Pm Me or something. Duke is a good company just dont expect a raise in a while. They are stopping most raises. Whats your job going to be?

Old 01-19-2009, 08:47 AM

279 posts, read 888,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockdeez View Post
Does anybody work for Duke-Energy (Mcguire Plant)? I just recieved an offer to begin as an operator at the Mcguire Nuclear Station. I was wondering if anyone else here worked there, and if I could get some feedback on the job? Is it a nice place to work? Do you like it? Advancement progressions? I am pretty excited, and just want to find out more about the plant/job. Thanks.
My husband has been at McGuire for 36 years now. He makes a nice living for us. As with any job, you will get out of it what you put into it. The hours can be long and stressfull, but the pay is good. Congrats on landing a job in these times!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:09 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,986,543 times
Thank you for serving out country and congratulations on landing a job in this market!!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:13 AM

Thanks, I do feel lucky to land this job. I will start as an Auxillary Operator in hopes of moving up long term. It will be a small decrease in my current pay with the Navy, but I'm in Hawaii now, and it costs more to live here. I also had an offer from a power plant in Columbia, SC, but decided to go with Duke. I was worried that with this job market, I might have to stay Navy, but I was really lucky.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:15 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,457,027 times
Glad to hear that there are good jobs for Nukes once out of the Navy! My son is a Nuke ..about to go to sea yet again...and he is looking forward to finally getting out and working a more normal schedule. Wow, I had NO idea how hard the Navy works these guys!

Best wishes for your new job...hope it is what you want.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:00 PM

72 posts, read 210,866 times
You have no Idea how hard they worked us! There is a reason that they were offering us 6 figures to re-enilst and most are jumping ship(not literaly). To the OP you might take a pay cut (i stayed about the same) but your quality of life will be much better. Who knows, you might even be able to maintain a marrage, get a Girlfriend, watch you kid take its first step,have your kid actually know you name. Its better on the outside! BTW what boat were you on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte