Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:00 AM

10 posts, read 17,511 times

Advertisements

Thousands of animals are suffocated to death in a gas chamber at the Gaston County Animal Shelter each year, forced to inhale carbon monoxide en masse until they succomb. Many have been killed before their owners had a chance to find them. Please contact the Gaston County Commissioners and ask that these animals be treated humanely in life and in death. This is no way for a government-run shelter to treat lost and unwanted pets, at the expense of taxpayers who want changes.

Until the kennels are empty and there are no more homeless pets, please ask that these animals be put to sleep peacefully, not in fear and struggling for their last breath. Please help the animals who have already been born, while we try to reduce the numbers in the future. Don't let them suffer like this.

Please email the County Commissioners!
jtorbett@co.gaston.nc.us, mprice@co.gaston.nc.us, donnieloftis@bellsouth.net , tckcom@aol.com, KINGSPINNACLE@aol.com, afraley@carolina.rr.com, pfloyd@co.gaston.nc.us

For more information about animal gas chambers and what you can do to end this cruelty, please visit http://NCCHE.com

Ecclesiastes chapter 3:
18 I said in my heart, “Concerning the condition of the sons of men, God tests them, that they may see that they themselves are like animals.”
19 For what happens to the sons of men also happens to animals; one thing befalls them: as one dies, so dies the other. Surely, they all have one breath; man has no advantage over animals

Old 01-10-2009, 08:55 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
er from what I gather, death by inhaling carbon monoxide IS a fairly peaceful death. Can't say for sure though. If not, what do you suggest?

As for "Many have been killed before their owners had a chance to find them," could you elaborate? How much time are we talking? You have to realize more pets are coming into these places every day and they can only allow so much time. Any responsible owner should have a tag on their animals' collar with (at a minimum) a phone # to call. If they don't, I submit these irresponsible morons are the ones who should be put to sleep. In fact, I very much favor that approach as a far better way of reducing senseless animal deaths and improving our world a great deal in general. Lord knows they're breeding like cockroaches these days.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:22 AM

Exclamation A better way

Death by carbon monoxide gas chamber is not peaceful. Animals are suffocated to death, vomit, convulse, and many claw to get out. I suggest until they can reduce the number of animals being killed, that they use the same method that 65 county shelters in the state use, the same method used in all vet offices, euthanasia by injection. This is an anesthetic that literally makes the pet go to sleep, unlike gagging on a poisonous gas.

State law requires that lost animals without owner identification be held for a minimum of 72 hours, to give their owners a chance to find them. Tags can fall off, and microchip scanners may not always pick up a chip. Since animals are considered property by many people in North Carolina, is it right for a government-run shelter to destroy property of residents before the minimum hold time is up?

Old 01-10-2009, 02:32 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,986,140 times
Perhaps it is a funding issue. Vets and drugs can be expensive. Why don't the concerned citizens raise private funds to assist the county.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:18 PM

Default Cost less

Because reliable studies show that the drugs can cost less than the gas. It isn't a cost issue...I have copies of cost studies if anyone would like to see them.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:58 PM

Don't mean to doubt you, but yes pls. And if you have anything about the effects of death by CO I'd appreciate that too, as 'net searches I did were inconclusive.

Also are you saying they are not waiting the state-mandated minimum time of 72 hrs to do this?

Old 01-12-2009, 05:58 AM

770 posts, read 2,754,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
er from what I gather, death by inhaling carbon monoxide IS a fairly peaceful death. Can't say for sure though. If not, what do you suggest?

As for "Many have been killed before their owners had a chance to find them," could you elaborate? How much time are we talking? You have to realize more pets are coming into these places every day and they can only allow so much time. Any responsible owner should have a tag on their animals' collar with (at a minimum) a phone # to call. If they don't, I submit these irresponsible morons are the ones who should be put to sleep. In fact, I very much favor that approach as a far better way of reducing senseless animal deaths and improving our world a great deal in general. Lord knows they're breeding like cockroaches these days.
Carbon Monoxide is not a peaceful way to exit this earth. I have seen a lot of people who chose that method and they do not look like they died peacefully.
Lethal injection is more human but more costly and that's where the decision lies.
Put an end to the unregulated puppy farms ( easier said than done) encourage spaying and neutering , choose the adopt from rescues and we wont need to kill 180,000 animals a year in NC

Old 01-12-2009, 06:08 AM

I'm with you 10,000% on all that. I would add let's put the people who abuse animals and/or are irresponsible in general in the CO chambers, but there's that pesky law about you can't kill people even when they're begging for it thing.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:06 AM

Post Cost and other info

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Don't mean to doubt you, but yes pls. And if you have anything about the effects of death by CO I'd appreciate that too, as 'net searches I did were inconclusive.

Also are you saying they are not waiting the state-mandated minimum time of 72 hrs to do this?
Yes, many shelters kill lost pets without waiting the full 72 hours required by state law, and this is well documented.

You can email nccoalition@yahoo.com for copies of cost info and other issues associated with gas chambers. The website ncche.com has lots of information too.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 AM

6 posts, read 24,681 times
You can also go to YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. and view video of them being killed by gassing. Video's like this.
YouTube - The Kill Box - Dog/Puppie Abuse - Save Shelter Dogs! North Carolina shelters are some of the worst in the United States when it comes to how they "care" for animals. I would submit that anyone interested in finding out the truth, visit their local shelters. See it for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: