Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 07:20 PM

20 posts, read 60,301 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I currently live in NYC and have been offered a position in Charlotte. I've done research online and checked on the various threads, but had some specific questions that hopefully people can assist with.

I will be visiting Charlotte for the 1st time this weekend to check out the area to see if I would be content living here, apartments, etc. If I moved here, I'd prefer the uptown area (I'm a single 33 year old) as it seems like the best area for nightlife, everything, etc. What would you recommend in terms of things to check out, places that I should go, etc? Also, should mention that my job would be with TIAA-Cref (8500 Andrew Carnegie Center). Would that be a long commute based on traffic? The Yahoo map only lists it as being about 8 miles.

Thank you all for any suggestions/comments that you might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 07:38 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukster View Post
Hello all,

I currently live in NYC and have been offered a position in Charlotte. I've done research online and checked on the various threads, but had some specific questions that hopefully people can assist with.

I will be visiting Charlotte for the 1st time this weekend to check out the area to see if I would be content living here, apartments, etc. If I moved here, I'd prefer the uptown area (I'm a single 33 year old) as it seems like the best area for nightlife, everything, etc. What would you recommend in terms of things to check out, places that I should go, etc? Also, should mention that my job would be with TIAA-Cref (8500 Andrew Carnegie Center). Would that be a long commute based on traffic? The Yahoo map only lists it as being about 8 miles.

Thank you all for any suggestions/comments that you might have.
Well, congrats on moving to a pretty nice place to live

Living in uptown might really work for you because you'd basically be going against traffic during morning and evening rush hour to get to work and home. Expect uptown to be pretty tame compared to NYC, but it is still nice with some fun things to do. How much can you spend on rent?

Old 01-07-2009, 08:46 PM

Ideally, up to $1200 a month.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Ideally, up to $1200 a month.
You'll have some great choices in and around uptown in that price range. Will you have a car, or will you have to rely on the buses?

Old 01-07-2009, 08:56 PM

A car since I've been told that no buses go to that area for work as it's a campus). Approximately how long would the commute be with traffic each way? More than 45 minutes each way? The Yahoo maps show uptown as being about 8 miles from the work office.

Thank you for your comments. Very helpful so far

Old 01-07-2009, 08:59 PM

You can check out places like The Arbors - Charlotte commercial real estate brokerage North Carolina apartments (http://www.crosland.com/apartments/properties/the_arbors/ - broken link)

Camden Cotton Mills -http://apartments.camdenliving.com/camdencottonmills/AptFloorPlanAndAvail.aspx

Or Ten 05 W. Trade - Ten05 W. Trade – Savvy Uptown Charlotte Apartments, North Carolina Apartments, Charlotte Apartments, Downtown Charlotte Apartments, Charlotte Homes, Downtown Charlotte Lofts

Just to name a few!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
A car since I've been told that no buses go to that area for work as it's a campus). Approximately how long would the commute be with traffic each way? More than 45 minutes each way? The Yahoo maps show uptown as being about 8 miles from the work office.

Thank you for your comments. Very helpful so far
Can't believe there are no buses going there, you want to double check that. Buses go to most of the big business campuses all over the city as far as I know. Check out CATS - Charlotte Area Transit System - our buses are very nice, clean and safe If you drove to work it's only 8 miles and you'd be going mostly against traffic you should be there in about 25 minutes tops I'd say.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 01-07-2009 at 09:14 PM..

Old 01-10-2009, 11:15 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,391,960 times
If you are a young family with kids you migh consider Brookhaven (a John Wieland Homes development) in South Charlotte/Union County. There are about 12 neighbors that work at TCreff) and nice 25-30 min. commute via new I-485 (goes opposite rush traffic)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: