Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,969 times

Advertisements

My daughter will be attending Charlotte University in September. My wife and I are in New York and are currently about 5 years away from retirement. We are looking for an investment townhome either on a lake or in a gated community where we could vacation and spend time visiting our daughter. Unfortuneately, the current economic conditions have made this a viable option. Is it possible to find a nice Townhome in a nice area for under $100,000? We do not want to travel more than 30 minutes to get to Charlotte. Are taxes and quality of life better in north or south Carolina? please Advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 07:55 PM

797 posts, read 3,294,619 times
A townhome that is on a lake or in a gated community for $100k--I sure don't know of anything in that
price range.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:53 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
In a gated community or lakefront...maybe starting at about $300,000 for a condo.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:22 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildweather View Post
My daughter will be attending Charlotte University in September. My wife and I are in New York and are currently about 5 years away from retirement. We are looking for an investment townhome either on a lake or in a gated community where we could vacation and spend time visiting our daughter. Unfortuneately, the current economic conditions have made this a viable option. Is it possible to find a nice Townhome in a nice area for under $100,000? We do not want to travel more than 30 minutes to get to Charlotte. Are taxes and quality of life better in north or south Carolina? please Advise.
mildweather - The question you pose to the Charlotte forum is analogous to asking someone on the NYC forum "Gee, I'm looking to buy a 4 bedroom 3 bath apartment on W79th St and I'm willing to spend up to $250,000". You could probably imagine what the response would be like! While you might find a townhouse in Charlotte for that price, the chances are that you might have more than a few Section 8 recipients as neighbors. The probability of getting a townhome on a lake or in a gated community for that price are about as good as Eliot Spitzer getting his old job back by New Year's Eve. You might be able to get something decent for about double that, to be 30 minutes from your daughter in a gated community, but it won't be anywhere near a lake. Sorry to burst your economic bubble, but while Charlotte is a bargain compared to the Northeast, it's not that cheap!

Why not come down for a visit as soon as your daughter is in school and spend a few weeks scoping out the area. Charlotte does have a lot to offer, and is especially suitable to retired folks. I know, I'm one!

Old 12-24-2008, 06:52 AM

797 posts, read 3,294,619 times
There really aren't even that many gated townhomes. Maybe a few but they are usually in the half million range.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:15 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
mildweather - The question you pose to the Charlotte forum is analogous to asking someone on the NYC forum "Gee, I'm looking to buy a 4 bedroom 3 bath apartment on W79th St and I'm willing to spend up to $250,000". You could probably imagine what the response would be like! While you might find a townhouse in Charlotte for that price, the chances are that you might have more than a few Section 8 recipients as neighbors. The probability of getting a townhome on a lake or in a gated community for that price are about as good as Eliot Spitzer getting his old job back by New Year's Eve. You might be able to get something decent for about double that, to be 30 minutes from your daughter in a gated community, but it won't be anywhere near a lake. Sorry to burst your economic bubble, but while Charlotte is a bargain compared to the Northeast, it's not that cheap!

Why not come down for a visit as soon as your daughter is in school and spend a few weeks scoping out the area. Charlotte does have a lot to offer, and is especially suitable to retired folks. I know, I'm one!

Em, you crack me up!!! Well said my friend, well said!

Old 12-24-2008, 09:33 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildweather View Post
You can find cheap houses and town homes for much less than $100K. Unfortunately, these such homes in Charlotte attract low income families. Crime and unkempt properties tend to follow low income families more than average incomes so keep that in mind.

I was looking for properties under $100K also about six months ago. I fell in love with an older townhouse community just across the street from the Archdale light rail station. I can not remember the name of this community, but it sits beside an apartment community called Lake Mist. I found an end unit with an attic, 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, fire place, washer/dryer connections were in an outside storage room, and 1,300 sq/ft of living space. The community was built in the 1970s and has been remodeled several times since then. The community is not the best maintained property, but the unit I desribed was going for $85,000!!! The HOA was $150 per month. I ultimately decided on a brand new townhouse near Tyvola Rd. for $130,000. I was able to get the new townhome without a down payment. I actually got $1,600 cash at closing!!!

This is a buyer's market. I would suggest that you look for something in the $120K to $150K range if you want a nice looking community. If you just want cheap, townhomes in the Hunting Ridge community on Idlewild Rd go for as cheap as $50,000 for a 2 bed/2 bath 900sq/foot unit. One bedrooms there go for $40K or less!!! This neighborhood actually looks good for it's price. This area also has a reputation for crime, but my mother used to live there and I NEVER felt unsafe at all when I visited her. She NEVER felt unsafe either. This is one of those areas of town that the news tend to ruin its reputation. Life there is not as bad as channel 9 makes it out to be.

Good Luck with your search and Happy Holidays!!!

Old 12-24-2008, 09:58 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
You can find cheap houses and town homes for much less than $100K. Unfortunately, these such homes in Charlotte attract low income families. Crime and unkempt properties tend to follow low income families more than average incomes so keep that in mind.

I was looking for properties under $100K also about six months ago. I fell in love with an older townhouse community just across the street from the Archdale light rail station. I can not remember the name of this community, but it sits beside an apartment community called Lake Mist. I found an end unit with an attic, 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, fire place, washer/dryer connections were in an outside storage room, and 1,300 sq/ft of living space. The community was built in the 1970s and has been remodeled several times since then. The community is not the best maintained property, but the unit I desribed was going for $85,000!!! The HOA was $150 per month. I ultimately decided on a brand new townhouse near Tyvola Rd. for $130,000. I was able to get the new townhome without a down payment. I actually got $1,600 cash at closing!!!

This is a buyer's market. I would suggest that you look for something in the $120K to $150K range if you want a nice looking community. If you just want cheap, townhomes in the Hunting Ridge community on Idlewild Rd go for as cheap as $50,000 for a 2 bed/2 bath 900sq/foot unit. One bedrooms there go for $40K or less!!! This neighborhood actually looks good for it's price. This area also has a reputation for crime, but my mother used to live there and I NEVER felt unsafe at all when I visited her. She NEVER felt unsafe either. This is one of those areas of town that the news tend to ruin its reputation. Life there is not as bad as channel 9 makes it out to be.

Good Luck with your search and Happy Holidays!!!

While this is all really good info UC, the OP wants a townhome on a lake OR in a gated community - a vacation, retirement kind of place in a nice area - none of what you have offered really fits the bill, but I do think others reading may find it helpful to them

And while I hate to disagree with you on such a nice day ( ) - there is a reason Hunting Ridge off Idlewild is so cheap - and those reasons ARE NOT exaggerated on channel 9 or any other news station.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:07 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
You might find what you're looking for in a property under foreclosure, but the other posters have been spot on as far as prices are concerned.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:25 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
And while I hate to disagree with you on such a nice day ( ) - there is a reason Hunting Ridge off Idlewild is so cheap - and those reasons ARE NOT exaggerated on channel 9 or any other news station.
Looking at the calls for service and reported incidents within a 1000 feet of there I would have to agree with you. Lots of drug charges, B&E and several knife/gun assaults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte