Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 05:14 PM

128 posts, read 323,608 times

Advertisements

Many schools districts in NY and other states place an ad in a local newspapers when there is a job opening. From what I have heard in NC there are job fairs. Can anyone please provide me with information on if they obtained their position from a job fair or how you learned of a possible opening!! Is it all about who you know and having connections?

Thank you in advance! Have a terrific week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 05:17 PM

28 posts, read 140,579 times
I have worked for CMS and attended one of their job fairs. Both Union County and Mecklenburg have a job fair around Feb. and March. During the school year, you can access current job openings on their website.
To get into a good school, it can be all about who you know- just depends how desperate they are!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:00 PM

529 posts, read 1,981,703 times
Research and start contacting principals where you are interested in working. Job fairs are in March or April and it is very competitive with the number of applicants. However, there are always a ton of jobs to be had in CMS... the other counties around Charlotte can be harder to get into. Good luck!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:06 PM

217 posts, read 512,879 times
Thank you!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:11 PM

177 posts, read 553,874 times
I've been to one school job fair but it was too much! There was a huge crowd and long lines. The competition looked fierce. The only reason I went was to accompany friends and for entertainment purposes. hehe

My first teaching job was offered because I applied in the district and started receiving phone calls for interviews. My second and third job was the same. The principal contacted me! It was just a stroke of luck really. My last job I contacted the principal myself after seeing an opening posted on the website. The best way to find out about an opening is on the districts' websites. Attending a job fair isn't necessary to get a teaching job. I know a couple of people who got jobs from them, but if you don't attend there will still be really good teaching jobs available all summer long. Start looking on district websites at the end of April or beginning of May and look every day. Most keep them updated. Also go ahead and fill out an application on the DPI website and make sure you have all necessary paperwork submitted. As you see new vacancies contact the principal or whoever it says to contact. Email your resume and follow up with a phone call if you don't hear back from them. There are usually many openings in June and July and even in August. A long time ago I worked in CMS and school didn't start until Aug. 21st and teachers didn't get out until mid-June because of snow days. I had resigned from CMS after the year was over and in need of a job but was looking for a non-teaching job. I started looking in mid July but didn't find anything I liked. My only other option was to teach part time at a local community college but there were no benefits. At the very end of July on a Thursday afternoon I received a phone call about a job in another district and I went in for an interview on Friday. They offered me the position and asked if I would accept it. Then I asked if I could think about it. They said sure, but we need to know by Monday morning at 8 because that's when school starts (not the kids just teachers). That was the best position I ever took!

Old 11-12-2008, 05:11 PM

128 posts, read 323,608 times
Thank you for your thoughtful and informative email. I appreciate it.
Have a great day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte