Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 09:14 AM

9 posts, read 32,283 times

Advertisements

Is Weddington a good choice considering all its issues (- traffic, water and sewer issues, school overcrowding) or is Waxhaw Marvin a better choice for buying homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 09:56 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
CLT, from our understanding we are going back next week for another visit, I know the Weddington schools are supposed to be excellent...Weddington Middle and HS are very over crowded, however there are new schools being built to eleviate the overcrowding...Waxhaw/Marvin are closer for commuting purposes and they will be getting 3 new schools....Rea elem, Marvin Ridge Middle and Marvin Ridge HS....they will all be open fall of 07 for the new school year....We have choose the Waxhaw/Marvin area ourselves....If you need an awesome realtor I have a great one for you, Just PM me and she lives in the area you are asking about..

Good Luck to you
Staci

Old 02-06-2007, 12:55 PM

197 posts, read 735,966 times
We moved from Waxhaw to Weddington for better schools and better commute. My husband works in Charlotte and I work in Waxhaw so it cut about 15 minutes off of his morning and evening commute and we anticipate that being even more time off as soon as Cureton, Lawson etc. etc. are built out and all of the commercial development is built (Cureton and big center at New Town/Providence). It depends on what part of Waxhaw you go into but you have to remember that they are adding houses by the boatloads here daily and not doing much to the roads so the traffic gets worse and worse but no new roads are being added. Marvin has the easiest commute to Charlotte of all of them.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:26 PM

197 posts, read 735,966 times
also, weddington schools are about to lose a TON of kids to the new schools opening next year - elementary through high schools - so they won't be overcrowded starting next year

Old 02-07-2007, 07:14 AM

31 posts, read 108,163 times
It really depends on what you want - I would think that both areas would have the same sewer/water issues since it is more of a Union County issue than individual towns. The Marvin/Weddington areas are pretty similar - Weddington has excellent schools that are more established and will be getting less crowded with the new scholls in Marvin (and elsewhere ) opening this fall. Marvin will have new schools, which can be very appealing - but they will probably take a couple of years to get the kinks out and run smoothly (moreso for middle and high schools or for kids that have special needs)

In my opinion Weddington has a more rural feel and has better zoning laws and local government.

When it comes to houses - Marvin probably has more choices with reasonably priced new or recent construction.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:03 AM

weddington was a litte further than we want to live, dh will have to add 10-15 min more on commute and considering I hear the traffic is horrible, that time can turn into alot more..he commutes 1 hour and 45 min each way here in NJ and well anything 60 min or less is a plus for us..I also have heard mixed about weddington middle and hs from parents, the scores are INCREDIBLE but Im not too thrilled with my son having to wear a uniform and Ive been told they are very strict there as well which isnt good for my children...But I do have to say weddington has a wonderful reputation...I dont want to debate schools as it becomes a personal choice for people and depending on thier children's learning and so fourth.....

Staci

Old 02-07-2007, 12:32 PM

9 posts, read 31,286 times
Default What water/sewer issues?

Saw reference to the Weddington/Union water and sewer issues. We've moving to that area next month. What are the issues? Thanks!

Old 02-07-2007, 12:46 PM

244 posts, read 1,050,728 times
I'd appreciate any issues on this area, also.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:44 PM

Its manily affecting the areas of Cureton and Quellin Side...We went to cureton quiet a few times and I smelled it all times when getting out of the car and it didnt last long but I knew the odor was there so we decided not to build there....I dont know anything else about it other than I plan to stay away from that area, Im sure they will have to fix what they need to and im sure its safe, but In my mind I would know its there and after living in Staten Island NY with the Dump smell and Brooklyn NY with that smell well I guess I dont want to know its there....I dont think anyone else has any more answers as to what is going on until I guess they figure out what they are going to do...It sounded like they were going to expand it also....

Like to know what the outcome will be

Old 02-07-2007, 04:56 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,036,130 times
Default sewer plant

I just talked to a rep at .Cureton and she siad yes that are expanding it but they will have caps on them in 2008. At least she was honest!!!

Also, my rep at ST, John's said that building is slow b/c the sewers were getting backed up in Union county and they need to extend the plant before they can build more so it is a big issue!

I don't know. I am moving down there for clean fresh air so I am not sure we will even look at those townhomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte