Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:16 AM

5 posts, read 14,740 times

Advertisements

We're definately moving to Charlotte the Summer of 2009 and are searching for ideas on the best areas. Any ideas on strong communities with good schools? Homes we've liked are in South Charlotte, Matthews, Huntersville, Waxhaw and Concord.

We have one child in Middle School and two in Elementary who are very involved in sports, choir and theatre. We live in the northern Chicago suburbs and love the fact we can walk or bike to great restaurants, excellent schools, etc. We like to be near activity and have lots of things to do but want good schools and really like the ideas of the community pools/centers we're seeing in Charlotte. Both of us work out of the house so commutes are not an issue. Matthews and Waxhaw appear to be a little too small/country for us. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 10:23 PM

221 posts, read 724,271 times
You may want to consider Baxter Village in South Carolina. The community has many amenities, a YMCA, close to schools, and shopping.
Huntersville would also be a great option. Nice schools and convient to lots of activites.
In Gaston county there is Belmont. The Elementary, Middle and High Schools are within a mile or so of each other. Sports are big in this area, and it is a very friendly community.

Make sure you do your research on schools before you decide on a home. I enjoy using greatschools.net in my work.

Good luck with your research on the area.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:29 AM

27 posts, read 76,258 times
Hi! We lived in Charlotte for 11 years & have been away for three. We may be moving back in the next year. I, too, am looking at communities and schools. South Charlotte is nice...good restaurants, shopping, close to down...err...uptown. Schools range from not good to good. For middle school, I have seen that South Charlotte Middle is good and either feeds to Providence High or Ardey Kelly High, both of which look like good schools. Huntersville is a nice area and there is Lake Norman Charter School, which is where I would apply to if I were going up there. I would not want my children going to North Meck which is where they would probably go to. If you like the lake or boating, then Huntersville is near that. We lived near Huntersville and that's where we went to doctors, dentist (in Birkdale), etc. We also lived in South Charlotte so I liked being close to uptown, South Park Mall, etc. We are looking mostly on the south side at this time and may consider Lancaster County, SC because it is 8 miles to Ballantyne but in SC. I have not been to the schools yet in SC but they are called Indian Land...small schools but I have no idea what they are like other than the fact they people have said they are good and the elem and middle schools have a uniform dress code, which I like. We are considering this to get our high schooler in state tuition at a SC college but my husband would work uptown Charlotte. What else? Baxter....I love the idea of Baxter in Ft. Mill which the previous reply person said. It looks like a wonderful community BUT...I contacted the elementary school in the neighborhood and they told me there was a freeze on incoming students and that anyone new in the community would not be sending their children to the neighborhood school...URGH!! It can be frustrating. Just please be sure to look at high schools, too, because that is when it really counts and you don't want to assume that just because the elementary and middle schools are good that the high school is, too. Also, when visiting Charlotte DO NOT assume that because an area is nice, a community is nice, and there is a brand new high school nearby, that it must be a great school. I assumed that from the area where we just left three years ago...there is a brand new high school outside of the neighborhood....which took kids out of North Meck high and so I assumed it would be a much better situation...I looked at the numbers and I don't think I would want my children going there. Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools has a really good website when you start digging around. So far that I have seen, the shining stars for the high schools are Providence, Ardey Kell, and Myers Park. It really depends on your price range for housing and what kind of neighborhood/house you want to be in. Charlotte, too, has a number of excellent private schools from which to choose. If you can afford private school tuition then, in some situations, you may find a house you love and you don't have to worry about the schools. It does not seem to negatively affect home values in the area either.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:09 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
check out the Marvin Ridge Cluster, what price range are you looking in?? there is Hunter Oaks, Somerset, The Reserve all Union County lower taxes than S.charlotte but extremely close to shopping, and Ardrey kell area...go to greatschools.net

we have been extremely happy with the schools here good luck

Old 09-06-2008, 08:52 AM

5 posts, read 14,740 times
Thanks for your detailed responses. For a house, we're looking at 4-5 BR and 3 bath in the $250K to $350K price range. I checked out the Baxter Village web site and it looks just like the kind of community we like. However, it looks quite a bit higher priced than Ballantyne, Waxhaw and Matthews areas and I am concerned that only the elementary school is part of the village. I'd have to check out the rest of the schools. We also prefer public schools over private if at all possible.

Thanks again for the input. I think we're leaning towards the Ballantyne or Matthews areas or somewhere in Union County. Greatschools.net was a great tip too!

Old 09-06-2008, 11:09 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrumbaugh View Post
Thanks for your detailed responses. For a house, we're looking at 4-5 BR and 3 bath in the $250K to $350K price range. I checked out the Baxter Village web site and it looks just like the kind of community we like. However, it looks quite a bit higher priced than Ballantyne, Waxhaw and Matthews areas and I am concerned that only the elementary school is part of the village. I'd have to check out the rest of the schools. We also prefer public schools over private if at all possible.

Thanks again for the input. I think we're leaning towards the Ballantyne or Matthews areas or somewhere in Union County. Greatschools.net was a great tip too!
You would most likely love those areas. In particular Ardrey has homes like Baxer, but the prices are just as high. However, nearby is Ardrey Woods, which does have homes in your price range - good schools too

Old 09-06-2008, 11:38 AM

852 posts, read 2,467,088 times
Try Sardis Plantation - homes from $250k to about $300k. Older brick neighborhood. Elizabeth Lane elementary, South Charlotte Middle School and Providence are schools. It is in Matthews. Kids cycle to both ELE and Providence but they also walk. Also school bus to all schools. South Charlotte MS is a little further away by Raintree but a good school. Matthews town centre is about a 2 mile walk, Arboretum is a 3 mile walk.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:46 AM

25 posts, read 65,130 times
as for the baxter area (ft. mill) schools - the district will be opening two new elem schools for the 2009 school year which will alleviate overcrowding and the current freeze - check this out, it may affect which schools are open for you next year.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,821 times
Default I'm moving to Charlotte too! I need help!

I have been focusing on Ft. Mill based on the schools, but am frustrated with the freezes in the Elementary schools. Also, if they added 2 elementary schools, aren't they going to have to add middle & High schools to accomodate the newbies?

Somebody mentioned Belmont? Does anybody else know anything about this area? I'd like a 5 br home with a bonus or basement and a private lot. 350 to 450 range. I need great schools and want to go public. Please help!! My hubby leaves next week and I'm stuck here showing my house and single parenting...I don't want to move twice if at all possible...help!

Old 10-01-2008, 12:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit2charlotte View Post
I have been focusing on Ft. Mill based on the schools, but am frustrated with the freezes in the Elementary schools. Also, if they added 2 elementary schools, aren't they going to have to add middle & High schools to accomodate the newbies?

Somebody mentioned Belmont? Does anybody else know anything about this area? I'd like a 5 br home with a bonus or basement and a private lot. 350 to 450 range. I need great schools and want to go public. Please help!! My hubby leaves next week and I'm stuck here showing my house and single parenting...I don't want to move twice if at all possible...help!
Fort Mill just opened a new high school and middle school - the elementary's are just catching up. You can find a home in that price range in with some privacy in a few places in Fort Mill. I like Belmont a lot, but it is smaller and will not have as many homes with any privacy like you are looking for - think small established town with not as much room for new development. In Fort Mill have your husband go see the older Tara Plantation neighborhood. It is not large but there are usually one or two homes for sale there that fit your criteria. Best of luck to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte