Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 05:44 PM

115 posts, read 296,668 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have been searching old threads and reading the NCDOT website about how to go about getting a driver's license and registering my car in this state. From what I have read on here, even though the Arrowwood location is the closest to me, it's also apparently the worst. Living on SoTryon 2 mins from 485, what DMV would you suggest I go to instead?

In addition, I was reading about registering my car. Now, after just moving from home where I lived with my parents, my car is registered in my dad's name in NY. Is it going to be a problem registering it in my name here in NC? Should my dad somehow switch it to my name in NY first?

Lastly, from reading the posts and talking to my new co-workers I guess this whole process is pretty expensive. How much should I be preparing myself to spend to do all this for an '01 Nissan Altima? Do they take credit cards or is it cash/check only?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 06:10 PM

49 posts, read 159,718 times
I believe that your dad will have to put your name on the title of the car. I also believe that there's a DMV form that your dad has to sign turning the car over to you. I can't remember all of the details. It wasn't that hard to turn the car over from my dad to me, (I was in the same situation.) My dad had to act as if the car were a gift, and that I paid $1.00 for it. Somewhere in the process we also had to have a form notorized. I know this is kind of foggy - I can't remember the whole process.
I also believe that you have to pay 3% of the value of your car. To find out a rough estimate of what your car is worth, you can look up the blue book value of the car, and calculate 3% of that total.
I hope that I have helped in some sort of way!!!

Old 08-12-2008, 07:01 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
NC allows the transfer of vehicles between family without the new owner having to pay the HUT tax, but I'm sure that applies only to vehicles that are currently registered in NC.

I suspect you will need the title transferred to you by your dad, and that it be notarized. Then you will have to pay the HUT to transfer the vehicle into NC.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Make sure you bring your S.S card with your full name First Middle and Last and no intials
Make sure you bring all documents that are required at the dmv license and tag office.
Move here and get an address either a phone or power bill with your name and NC address
Unless he plans to come with you to NC you will need to go ahead and get the title switched over to your name for less headache later.
Once the car title has your name go to a NC insurance office and get a DL-123
(it proof of insurance and should always be kept in your glove box.

Get a North Carolina Drivers License with all required documents they need for an out of state new resident. You will have to take the written and many places it on computer and easy IMO and an eye exam which is also the sign test.
It is up to the individual DMV officer if you will need to take the driving test but in several counties I have taken it is extremely easy and they appear to make you do the same thing.

After you get the license take it and required documents for getting tags (car registered)

After car is registered you will need to get the car inspected take your NCDL and NC registeration to any Inspection station.

I am guessing but Im pretty certain you have 30 days upon becoming a resident to get a NCDL to drive.

60 days to get the car registered and once it is you will get a tax bill for the county you reside in for the property tax on the car and base on the year provided above it will be pretty cheap.

The drivers license office and tag office are NOT in same location. The state contracts out the tag office.

You can get a NCDL and register your car in any county within the state it does not have to be the county you reside in.
This works in your favor to avoid high traffic offices.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:10 AM

115 posts, read 296,668 times
Alright so its pretty clear my dad is going to have to switch the title. Any idea of how to go about doing that, seeing he is in NY and I'm here in NC??

Old 08-13-2008, 09:04 AM

Titles need to be notarised when switched with both parties signature

Old 08-13-2008, 09:28 AM

307 posts, read 715,208 times
I was in a similar situation with my car. I came from Va and he is still in Va and I had co signed the car with my dad. Even though my name was on it too they would not issue me a title without him filling out a form. I got the form from the registration office and had to mail it to him, have him sign it and get it notorized and then send it back to me. I am sorry but I have no idea what the form was called or where else you could get it but maybe look online or trying calling the registration office first.

It took me three visits before I had it all straightened out..

Old 08-13-2008, 11:17 AM

277 posts, read 660,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Make sure you bring your S.S card with your full name First Middle and Last and no intials
Are you saying that they will not accept a social security card without a middle name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Once the car title has your name go to a NC insurance office and get a DL-123,(it proof of insurance and should always be kept in your glove box.
???
My New York title is in my name, don't you need to insure the vehicle with an insurance company first?

Old 08-13-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89quattro View Post
Are you saying that they will not accept a social security card without a middle name?

The social security card must have your full name no intials

???
My New York title is in my name, don't you need to insure the vehicle with an insurance company first?
you need to get the title taken care of . If you do it in NC or NY is up to you whichever is easier. Hopefully the car has insurance now but I would switch to NC insurance due to it generally cheaper than NY.
You will need to get insurance before going to the NCDL and tag office
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte