Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 02:31 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,178 times

Advertisements

Doorway, the low salary probably changed her mind. Coming from NY, teachers fresh out of college start out with 50K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 03:43 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
Doorway, the low salary probably changed her mind. Coming from NY, teachers fresh out of college start out with 50K.
I think what hurts too, is having to pay for health benefits if you have a family. I know a couple of HS math teachers in the NYC suburbs who are now making over $130,000. Add to that, the free health benefits and the much more generous pensions and that seriously inhibits anyone who has more than a few years in, from making a move here. Most of the retired teachers I know from NY/NJ get a bigger pension than the average working school principal here.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:54 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Charlotte teachers pay is a little above the national average. I moved from Florida and an equivalent teaching job here pays $10K more per year. You special ed. degree will help get a job. The cost of living in Charlotte is much lower than in the the aforementioned cities where subscribers are from. Don't let them discourage you. Teacher pay isn't that bad here. Good luck and contact the CMS on the internet for salary examples.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:47 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I think what hurts too, is having to pay for health benefits if you have a family. I know a couple of HS math teachers in the NYC suburbs who are now making over $130,000. Add to that, the free health benefits and the much more generous pensions and that seriously inhibits anyone who has more than a few years in, from making a move here. Most of the retired teachers I know from NY/NJ get a bigger pension than the average working school principal here.
Sorry, but the maximum NYC teacher salary is $100,049...and that's with a Master's plus 30 additional credits up to a PhD and 22 years experience.

Average NYC teacher salary is $57,354 - and most teachers' salaries are near the average for their school system. Pension for a teacher who made, let's say $70,000 would not be higher than a Charlotte principal's salary of $70,000 and up.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:18 PM

256 posts, read 1,145,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Is this a serious question?

Guess I thought it was just always understood that Catholic School teachers are THE most underpaid of all teachers on the teacher totum pole - it's always been that way in the south, not sure about the rest of the country. Fortunately for the kids in Catholic Schools most of their teachers aren't there for the money
Quite honestly NO TEACHER is in it for the money because if that were the case, there wouldn't be many teachers! I could write much, much more but it would take too long. Teaching is the most underpaid profession but the most important and influential responsible for shaping the future of our country. Most of the teachers I know, and I work in the system not as a teacher but an assistant, are in it because they love the kids and have a passion for the profession regardless of what type of system it is. IMHO

Old 01-29-2009, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 8,725 times
Since I'm new here, may I ask what "CMS" is or how do I locate the connection on-line?
Thank you,

Loren

Old 01-29-2009, 06:28 PM

256 posts, read 1,145,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LStahl View Post
Since I'm new here, may I ask what "CMS" is or how do I locate the connection on-line?
Thank you,

Loren
The public school system here in Charlotte, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.
Here are the links: Home for the home page and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (http://apps.cms.k12.nc.us/departments/HR/jobListingsLawson.asp?appType=i - broken link)
for the job listings.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:01 PM

206 posts, read 514,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Sorry, but the maximum NYC teacher salary is $100,049...and that's with a Master's plus 30 additional credits up to a PhD and 22 years experience.

Average NYC teacher salary is $57,354 - and most teachers' salaries are near the average for their school system. Pension for a teacher who made, let's say $70,000 would not be higher than a Charlotte principal's salary of $70,000 and up.
The poster said NYC suburb not NYC and is correct, there are teachers in the suburbs making up to $140,000 that I know. I know a kindergarten teacher with 10 years experience who makes $80+ - suburbs of course.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:00 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchestergal View Post
The poster said NYC suburb not NYC and is correct, there are teachers in the suburbs making up to $140,000 that I know. I know a kindergarten teacher with 10 years experience who makes $80+ - suburbs of course.
Westchestergal - I remember there was an article in the New York Times about Westchester County schools practically bribing NYC teachers with math and science PhDs (it might have been Scarsdale, in particular) with $120K offers and this was 4-5 years ago. But what drives me crazy are the sums of money they pay to superintendents of schools in some very small towns. Perhaps you remember hearing about the Superintendent in Keansburg NJ.

The heightened scrutiny is the result of growing outrage over a $740,000 severance package the outgoing Keansburg superintendent, Barbara Trzeszkowski, arranged in 2003. In July, Trzeszkowski was to begin collecting $184,586 for 235.5 unused sick days and 20 vacation days and another $556,290 calculated by multiplying her current monthly salary by the number of years she has worked in Keansburg.

The payments come on top of the estimated $120,000 standard pension Trzeszkowski earned during her 38.5 years in Keansburg schools. They exceed the increase in school aid Corzine's new school funding formula awarded to Keansburg this year.

I'd be willing to bet no school superintendent with ~2000 kids in the school district will ever see that kind of money in NC!

Old 01-30-2009, 08:36 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LStahl View Post
Thank you,

Loren
Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools. Just log on to CMS and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte