Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:36 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times

Advertisements

Oh man, the last time I was "into" photography was the dark ages and we used something called film.

Since the birth of digital I have only had point and shoot cameras.

I am once again wanting to get back into photography, but feel I need some lessons (maybe more about the computer aspects of it than the photography itself, although some brush ups would be helpful.)

I checked the CC website and didn't see any, but I could have missed it.

Anyone know of any around the area?

I will be getting my new camera soon and have been researching like crazy.

Thanks,

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 07:44 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
There used to be a great dealer called Charlotte Camera that offered some classes way back when. If you shot film then your 'eye' should be fine, just need to slightly adapt to the modern equipment. Are you moving toward a D-SLR or just a nicer point and shoot camera ( I use those to)? If you have legacy film lenses you may be able to use them with a modern D-SLR body, do not sell them! I am a Nikon shooter (D-SLR) which can accept many older Nikkor lenses. Canon and others are the same.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:52 PM

I am seriously looking at the Nikon D60 or better, or the Canon Rebel. Those are my 2 contenders right now. I will definitely get an SLR camera. I have a decent p&s for my needs right now. I also want the VR or IS lenses.

Really? I might be able to use my lenses? Oh dear, I think I only have one left, but it is a 70mm-200mm I believe and I used it with my Olympus OM10. Do you think it would work?

I think you are right....I will probably do ok with the camera part (although I do enjoy learning new techniques all the time), but the computer part may throw me a bit.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
There used to be a great dealer called Charlotte Camera that offered some classes way back when. If you shot film then your 'eye' should be fine, just need to slightly adapt to the modern equipment. Are you moving toward a D-SLR or just a nicer point and shoot camera ( I use those to)? If you have legacy film lenses you may be able to use them with a modern D-SLR body, do not sell them! I am a Nikon shooter (D-SLR) which can accept many older Nikkor lenses. Canon and others are the same.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Dawn - just got my new camera few days ago! I am learning every time I pick mine up . . . I bet you will be surprised how user friendly they are!!! Can't wait to get a break in a few weeks and really take time to figure out what the heck I am doing . . .

Good luck w/ the classes! I bet you are going to find it is a lot easier than you are thinking right now!!!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:00 PM

157 posts, read 790,701 times
I took a few classes at The Light Factory, Uptown in Spirit Square (www.lightfactory.org). I have a Canon 20D, and learned so much about the camera and photography through the classes. They are a non profit that is based on helping at risk children get involved in photography and videography. They have a number of classes (for adults) at different levels. I highly endorse them!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:02 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
DawnW, what brand is your lens?
I am using a Nikkor (Nikon) 50mm/f1.4 that is about 10 years old on my Nikon D80.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:02 PM

oooo.....what did you get???? Oh, and I am back from all of our jaunts to various places, so when are we getting together?

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Dawn - just got my new camera few days ago! I am learning every time I pick mine up . . . I bet you will be surprised how user friendly they are!!! Can't wait to get a break in a few weeks and really take time to figure out what the heck I am doing . . .

Good luck w/ the classes! I bet you are going to find it is a lot easier than you are thinking right now!!!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_fx_35 View Post
I took a few classes at The Light Factory, Uptown in Spirit Square (www.lightfactory.org). I have a Canon 20D, and learned so much about the camera and photography through the classes. They are a non profit that is based on helping at risk children get involved in photography and videography. They have a number of classes (for adults) at different levels. I highly endorse them!
I had no idea about this! Thank you for sharing the info . . . sounds like a great way to find out more about photography . . . plus fun being w/ others while doing it . . .

Old 07-08-2008, 08:04 PM

It is an Olympus. it says Olympus OM series on it. I believe my dad bought this in the late 60's or early 70's. It has seen some very good use, but still worked perfectly. The last time I used it was when the camera itself died a painful death in Indonesia. I got such great shots from that thing.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
DawnW, what brand is your lens?
I am using a Nikkor (Nikon) 50mm/f1.4 that is about 10 years old on my Nikon D80.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:05 PM

Very cool. Thanks. Now, do they do the computer end of this or mostly just the photography end?

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_fx_35 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte