Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:18 AM

4 posts, read 18,215 times

Advertisements

I Am Looking For A Family That Has Moved From South Florida To The Charlotte Or Preferrably The Weddington Area. I Have Children Of 8 And 5 Years Old. We Have Never Lived Anywhere But Here. We Are Afraid Of The Uncertanty Of The Area. We Are Use To Traveling One Mile To Stores And Shops And Restaurants. My Children Are Very Sports Intensive Already/ Fort Lauderdale Has Lots To Do. We Are Afraid Of Moving And Hating The Area. We Have Visited Weddington And Ballantyne And They Are Very Nice. We Need Things To Do With Young Communities And Kids All Around. If Somebody Can Help Ease Our Confusion, It Would Be Great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 09:31 AM

117 posts, read 493,454 times
Where in South Florida? Im in the Boynton Beach/Lake Worth area now, finishing up my house to put it up for sale. Then hopefully we'll be Charlotte bound

Old 01-15-2007, 10:29 AM

We Live In Davie. We Have Researched Weddington, But Just Do Not Know What To Do Good Luck In Your Ventures.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:02 AM

13 posts, read 70,949 times
Default I'm ready to go as well

I'm in Weston and ready to move tomorrow. I grew up in Coral Springs and am ready for a change. The difficulty is finding work in NC while still in FLA.

We have visited Weddington 3 times and even have the sub-divisions we liked picked out. The area is similar to Parkland, just with more trees. Matthews reminds me of Coral Springs.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:56 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,864,554 times
Davie is a nice area, as is Ballantyne and most of south Charlotte. I am sure you will find plenty of activities for kids in Charlotte, and the schools in the south Charlotte and Union County areas are probably better than the public schools in Broward County. That being said, you need to spend some more time in the area before making such a life-changing move. Perhaps a one-week extended vacation would be a good start. The culture is way different in Charlotte than in South Florida, in some ways good, in some ways bad. I would personally prefer to live in Broward County than in Charlotte because of two things: 1) Charlotte is too hot + humid in the summer. In Ft. Lauderdale I could live near the beach and get the sea breezes, and 2) the people in Charlotte are mostly too conservative for my tastes. However, this is rapidly changing.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:40 PM

Thank You For Your Opinion. I Guess The Heat Index Is Subject To Each Persons Feelings. We Feel The Heat In South Florida Is Brutal About Eight Months Of The Year. You Wake Up And Feel A Velvet Curtain Hit You. It Is Muggy And Hard To Get Motivated To Go Outside. But I Have Heard Charlotte Can Get Hot Also. As Far As Being Conservative, I Think This Might Be A Good Thing Because People Of South Florida Are Totally Opposite. Thanks

Old 01-15-2007, 02:02 PM

73 posts, read 330,794 times
I also live in the Davie area. I currently have my house up for sale. I am planning to move to Weddington. (Fell in love with the area) We visited during the summer and I felt that the neighborhoods were different than the ones in Davie. I felt it was a better area for my kids to grow up than Davie because the neighborhoods seemed more family oriented. The two differences I saw were that the people were friendlier and it was more slow paced than Davie. I have lived in Davie for 18 years and I have seen a lot of changes, but I am equally as nervous about uprooting my children to move to Weddington.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:08 PM

It Is Tough. I Am A Native Of South Florida. My Children Do Great In School And Are Well Adapted. Davie Is Still A Good Area But It Is Changing. The Landscape Is Different And The People Are Not As Friendly. We Live In Forest Ridge And It Is Great. We Plan On Buying In Skyecroft In Weddington...just Do Not Know If We Are Doing The Right Thing...

Old 01-15-2007, 04:12 PM

73 posts, read 330,794 times
We live very close by. We live in Shenandoah in Davie. A family that had looked at our home for sale last week decided to buy in Forest Ridge. We are ready to take the plunge and move. I don't think you will reget your decision. We have neighbors that moved to Charlotte last year from our area and they also had children. They did not regret the move. They love it more than Davie. I know that I will adapt from the hussle and bussle of our area, I'm just concerned about my children because they are so well adapted here.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:18 PM

7 posts, read 64,169 times
Default Is it that hard to decide?

We moved from Doral to Ballantyne and we love it! Just one word of advice. make sure you sell your house in South Fla before buying here.
Things in South Fla are tough and I know many families that have moved leaving an empty house with mortgage payments behind.

Do you have a job here? if not PM with your occupation as I know a recruiter or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte