Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:11 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,905,479 times

Advertisements

I was formally using the name "Vindaloo" but had to change due to an EMail address messup. Anyway, I finally got moved to Cornelius about two and a half weeks ago. I love it here. Everything is convenient and the walks in the morning are great. There are parks, neighborhoods, shopping areas, and a variey of places for walking. The town is beautiful. On the other hand, I want to cross the street at Cawtaba where Liverpool and Torrence Chappel Roads meet and there is no pedestrian crossing. I want to join the health spa on the south side of Cawtaba and be able to walk or run there. The traffic is constant and heavy all of the time. It is very dangerous and very difficult to get there. There are many walkers and bikers in the area. The other issue is that there aren't enough sidewalks on Cawtaba Street that facilitates many businesses and restaurants. I know that there are projects going on on the street in that area. Does anyone know if the projects include sidewalks or pedestrial crossing lights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 09:21 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,560,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
I was formally using the name "Vindaloo" but had to change due to an EMail address messup. Anyway, I finally got moved to Cornelius about two and a half weeks ago. I love it here. Everything is convenient and the walks in the morning are great. There are parks, neighborhoods, shopping areas, and a variey of places for walking. The town is beautiful. On the other hand, I want to cross the street at Cawtaba where Liverpool and Torrence Chappel Roads meet and there is no pedestrian crossing. I want to join the health spa on the south side of Cawtaba and be able to walk or run there. The traffic is constant and heavy all of the time. It is very dangerous and very difficult to get there. There are many walkers and bikers in the area. The other issue is that there aren't enough sidewalks on Cawtaba Street that facilitates many businesses and restaurants. I know that there are projects going on on the street in that area. Does anyone know if the projects include sidewalks or pedestrial crossing lights?
They have talked about widening Catawba Ave for years...will believe it when I see it. I am sure if they ever do...they will make it more pedistrian friendly too.

Welcome to the area!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:27 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,674,708 times
Welcome back, vin!

In case you didn't know, all that construction going on now is indeed the widening of Catawba Avenue!!! There will be sidewalks too, especially after that young man was killed by a drunk last year.

Traffic is worse now because of the construction, so just be patient. It's gonna be wonderful when it's complete.

Welcome to the lake!!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Welcome back, vin!

In case you didn't know, all that construction going on now is indeed the widening of Catawba Avenue!!! There will be sidewalks too, especially after that young man was killed by a drunk last year.

Traffic is worse now because of the construction, so just be patient. It's gonna be wonderful when it's complete.

Welcome to the lake!!
Finally...after years of discussion they have started the wideneing. They should have had that completed years back...I am sure with all the cutbacks from the state...that was put on the back burner.

Cornelius is a very nice town...but Catawba Ave has always been aweful as far as driving.

I remember if you are coming from Charlotte and exit #28 and turn left and you are in the right lane...they will ride that right lane till they can cut someone off to get over because their lane turns right into a shopping center...lol

Old 06-23-2008, 09:39 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,674,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I remember if you are coming from Charlotte and exit #28 and turn left and you are in the right lane...they will ride that right lane till they can cut someone off to get over because their lane turns right into a shopping center...lol
Oh yeah, I was glad to live in Marina Shores where I could make that right then left on Knox to avoid the clutter to Bank of America.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:06 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,806,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post

Well there you are Vin!!! Been wondering about your move Welcome home!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,558,234 times
Yes, it is surely nice to have Vin here . . . seems we have all been posting back and forth for a long time - waiting for you to get here!

Vin/Ban . . . how will we get used to your new "name" - dear me.

Did you ever find a place to dock your boat???????

Old 06-23-2008, 01:16 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,955,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
They have talked about widening Catawba Ave for years...will believe it when I see it. I am sure if they ever do...they will make it more pedistrian friendly too.

Welcome to the area!
The reason they are not as far along is because the company that was being used to bury the cables etc had to go south when Katrina hit. This was the biggest hold up.

Charlotte Observer | 06/08/2008 | Hassle of roadwork is worth future gain (http://www.charlotte.com/498/story/659616.html - broken link)

Gives you some heads up on completion etc...

Old 06-23-2008, 01:17 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,955,454 times
This should also help.... Town Projects (http://www.cornelius.org/projects.html?sid=10856 - broken link)

Old 06-23-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
The reason they are not as far along is because the company that was being used to bury the cables etc had to go south when Katrina hit. This was the biggest hold up.

Charlotte Observer | 06/08/2008 | Hassle of roadwork is worth future gain (http://www.charlotte.com/498/story/659616.html - broken link)

Gives you some heads up on completion etc...
Gotcha...I grew up Sun-Thur in Winston-Salem and Fri-Sun on Lake Norman...and am very familiar with the whole North Mecklenburg area.

Catawba Ave even years back was very busy. Glad to see they are finally widening that road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte