Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 07:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,781,281 times

Advertisements

I grew up the days later than Red Skelton was on air but I thought this was beautifully put

YouTube - Red Skelton's Pledge of Allegiance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 08:39 PM

380 posts, read 1,762,934 times
Our flag was up this weekend. It is easy for us to remember that June 14th is Flag Day because it is our anniversary. 28 years this year!!

Old 06-16-2008, 06:41 AM

9,125 posts, read 20,552,774 times
Well, we displayed our two flags and nothing was said to us. Actually, I just spoke with the Complex Manager and he told me that they don't ban displaying the U.S. Flag outside here. The way I see it, if people were "in question" about displaying it, they could always ask Management about it. And, I still think that the people in this Complex don't care to have and display it......sad, but true! I just don't see the U.S. Flag waving in front of houses, in front of condos or in other privately owned places like I use to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Sadly, a lot of apartment complexes (and condos) have banned displaying any sort of flags from balconies or at the front entrance. We leased an apartment in the western part of the state (mostly retirees there) on a job assignment a few years back and were astounded when we displayed our flag and had the HOA all over us, b/c flags were "not allowed" as the residents felt they were distracting. In fact, we could not even put out hanging baskets unless they were green plastic and contained either ferns or some other plant - forget which now - and only 2 per balcony, LOL.

So I suspect a lot of people who live in condos or apartments just don't buy flags to display any longer b/c of past experiences w/ landlords/management companies that don't allow them. Pretty sad.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:54 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,856,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, we displayed our two flags and nothing was said to us. Actually, I just spoke with the Complex Manager and he told me that they don't ban displaying the U.S. Flag outside here. The way I see it, if people were "in question" about displaying it, they could always ask Management about it. And, I still think that the people in this Complex don't care to have and display it......sad, but true! I just don't see the U.S. Flag waving in front of houses, in front of condos or in other privately owned places like I use to.
That is just too bad, LB. My neighborhood does have people who put out the flag and so did my former neighborhood. Also, several of us here in my neighborhood have soldiers we are supporting so until those soldiers come home, there will always be some of us who will be diligent about displaying our flags, not only as a patriotic gesture, but b/c we are honoring those who are fighting under those stars and stripes.

Maybe we can all pass the word around about flying the colors for July 4th, and hopefully, see more flags then. Lately, it seems only people who are former military (or who have soldiers on active duty) are taking the time to show some appreciation for what that flag means.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:15 AM

9,125 posts, read 20,552,774 times
Please, give this Poster a "hand" (standing up and clapping, clapping, clapping).
I'm sure glad to see that there ARE at least some people who are honoring our flag and our Troops! Shoot, not only does wife/I have the U.S. Flag, we also have a U.S. Navy Flag. Yep, "Anchor's Away My Boys"!!!
People out there in the Charlotte Forum, buy a U.S. Flag (if you don't have one....they are cheap enough) and DISPLAY it on July 4th! Show your Patriotism, love for your Country, SUPPORT of our Troops (and their families) and your love for our BEAUTIFUL American Flag and what it stands for.
PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That is just too bad, LB. My neighborhood does have people who put out the flag and so did my former neighborhood. Also, several of us here in my neighborhood have soldiers we are supporting so until those soldiers come home, there will always be some of us who will be diligent about displaying our flags, not only as a patriotic gesture, but b/c we are honoring those who are fighting under those stars and stripes.

Maybe we can all pass the word around about flying the colors for July 4th, and hopefully, see more flags then. Lately, it seems only people who are former military (or who have soldiers on active duty) are taking the time to show some appreciation for what that flag means.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,856,172 times
LB, we will have to ask Sunny to make sure we get a thread up prior to July 4th about flying the flag!!!! I wish I had taken pictures of ours here in the neighborhood like Sunny did to show the flag and "patriotic plants."

My g/daddy and all his brothers retired from the Navy . . . my dad was a Marine . . . my DH was an officer in Medical Service Corps . . . and one of our sons served in the Army. Our other son is working on his pilot's license and who knows . .. he may end up in the Air Force eventually . . .

As ARG said . . . thank you for your service, LB, and maybe w/ all of us reminding people what July 4th is all about . . . we will see more patriotic displays in the coming weeks. I sure hope so.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:40 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,969,504 times
We always fly our flag. I consider myself very patriotic. My oldest has become that way too! When the flag holder snapped the other week when we had high winds my son would not stop going on about it until we went to Lowe's and bought another one. Again, nothing like watching Old Glory in the wind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte