Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,393 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom wanting to move to the Charlotte area From Massachusetts. I just graduated from college so how is the job market there for a person with a degree in Public Relations? I have been trying to do research for the better neighborhoods in the Charlotte area and I am willing to pay extra for a nicer neighborhood. I have also heard that places in Rock Hill, SC have better school systems than the Charlotte area. I am excited to move there, but I want need to get some advice from people that live there already. All advice is apprecitated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 10:43 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,686,203 times
I would say the market for that field is as good here as any other place. It's pretty broad. Try media or county/city government. The important thing will be for you to get a job BEFORE you move!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:10 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,944,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki2508 View Post
I am a single mom wanting to move to the Charlotte area From Massachusetts. I just graduated from college so how is the job market there for a person with a degree in Public Relations? I have been trying to do research for the better neighborhoods in the Charlotte area and I am willing to pay extra for a nicer neighborhood. I have also heard that places in Rock Hill, SC have better school systems than the Charlotte area. I am excited to move there, but I want need to get some advice from people that live there already. All advice is apprecitated.
I think you perhaps meant Fort Mill, not Rock Hill. Not to disparage Rock Hill, but they aren't really known for OUTSTANDING schools. There are some very good schools there I'm sure, but people generally gush over the Fort Mill schools. Fortunately for newcomers there are more good schools surrounding Charlotte in its neighboring counties than bad ones. There are also some outstanding schools IN Charlotte itself - so you will have a wide variety of choices. #1 piece of advice - get a job first before you decide on anything else. It won't do you a bit of good fall in love with say Fort Mill if your job is in Statesville or somthing. In this area you want to try to live on the side of the metro area you work on.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:19 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,064,430 times
Totally agree with Loves; land the job, then find the house. Public Relations is a very broad category. I'm sure you can find an entry level position for low $$$, but the higher the salary, the longer you'll be looking.

The first thing to do is post your resume on monster.
Then get a list of companies located in Charlotte. You can do some on-line research or call the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce. I think they charge a $10 fee for the list or something minimal like that.
Then decide whether you want to work with a recruiter or directly apply to these companies by going to each of their websites to see if they have openings that match your education and experience.
Keep in mind that a company probably will not pay relo for an entry level position, but you never know.

Good Luck!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:22 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,230,191 times
Charlotte is one of the better cities for employment, though the over all market is low. Charlotte is also having some issues right now, because the two big Banks are struggling and laying people off. Though they only emply 6% of the workforce, they effect many other businesses around it. For now they are a main peg, so if they improve we will improve.

Public relations is broad, so if you willing to start lower and work your way up, you should find something. Also it dependson your background outside of your degree.

Lots of areas to live, depends on the job. Uptown is great but pricey, Huntersville, North Meck, Fort Mill, etc.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:18 AM

11 posts, read 25,148 times
single mom?...me too. The school system in Fort Mill has a very good reputation and there are many options. I moved back to Charlotte when my kids were young and I think this was a great place to raise them. If you really are serious about where to live, I may be able to help. Moderator cut: tos violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-16-2008 at 06:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte