Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 06:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,439 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in the process of relocating to the Charlotte area.

During our online search for homes we noticed that many homes in the Carowinds area in SW Mecklenburg Cty, fit our criteria.
However, we have been unable to found out much information on Carowinds.
What is the opinion on this part of Charlotee?
Are the schools good?

Any advice or opinions is greatly appreciated.

Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 07:30 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by who dey View Post

During our online search for homes we noticed that many homes in the Carowinds area in SW Mecklenburg Cty, fit our criteria.
Are the schools good?

Have a great day!

The southwest corner of Mecklenburg is the last undiscovered part of the city Now that people have discovered it the area is hot. It is a nice part of town with a lot of new retail development. Fortunately hwy 49 was four-laned just in time to accomadate all the growth. The schools are not the absolute best - but definitely improved from several years ago. The elemetary schools, Lake Wylie Elementary and Steele Creek are nice schools wth no problems that I am aware of. The middle, Kennedy, has had some problems in the past, but now that they are a neighborhood school I think things are much better. Olympic High School was one of our struggling schools, but now that they have moved to a "school within a school" format I hear things are really better. Basically the population of the school is divided into four student bodies, each concentrating on different student needs or goals. This makes for much smaller classes and teachers getting to know the students much better. They also have a heck of a baseball team there
Hope this helps you a bit, ask any other questions you might have and I'll try to answer them too.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:38 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by who dey View Post

Are the schools good?

Have a great day!

as noted above this area is referred to as the Steele Creek area (http://www.steelecreekresidents.org/default.htm) (broken link). IMO the farther away you are from the 485 the better (I personally would want to be as close to Lake Wylie as possible...but again...this is just my opinion).

Now depending on where you are standing in the Steele Creek area...you could sneeze and fall into South Carolina (Fort Mill, SC). Not sure what your budget is...but I can tell you the schools are really good here...and its a nice area too.

Taking into consideration some of the things you mentioned from your other post (working in Belmont, NC) and where you currently live...another area to check out might be Lake Wylie/Clover, SC. This area has good prices...good location...and good schools...and a little more open.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte