Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 06:20 PM

15 posts, read 38,601 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are coming to Charlotte next week for him to finalize an employment opportunity and we are so excited. We've been reading this board for a while and we're looking forward to making our move permanent.

Originally we wanted to live in Union county and still do, but we have a possible rental on McLaughlin Dr. in Charlotte, Mason Wallace Park sits directly behind the house. We were curious if anyone could comment on the type of neighborhood it is and which Elementary school our 5 year old would go to, she'll be in first grade next year.

We've heard that Union county has better schools, but this offer on McLaughlin may be too good to pass up. We thought since we would be renting, if it's a safe area and a nice family type neighborhood then we wouldn't mind being there for at least a year and then we would have time to get to know other neighborhoods in Union county.

The only image we've seen of the house is through a satelite image, so please any input would be greatly appreciated. The zipcode is 28212 if you need it. If you are familiar with the neighborhood please let us know if it is a safe neighborhood, family oriented, which elementary school our daughter would go to, is it a good school, is it an older neighborhood, how close is it to shopping like Target, grocery stores and etc. Thanks in Advance =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 10:07 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,666,358 times
That's off of Monroe Rd. between Idlewild and Sardis, not too far from where E. WT Harris Blvd ends on Independence Blvd. I'd pass, but let's hear what others think.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:46 PM

15 posts, read 38,601 times
Superk, why would you pass? We really want the good bad and ugly, so please give us your opinion. We have two small children, 5 and 3 and my husband will be traveling out of town quite a bit for his job so I definitely want to be in an area that I feel safe while he is gone. Although this would be a temporary stay for no more than a year I definitely do not want to sacrifice safety for our family.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:41 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,914,097 times
IMHO, McLaughlin Dr. is located in a very pleasant middle class neighborhood. The houses are selling for much less than comparable houses in neighborhoods farther south, but this is in the process of changing because of its quick access to most areas of Charlotte - uptown, SouthPark, and the univesity area,

I live not far from this area and KNOW that it is very safe although many folks feel that its proximity to Independence is a drawback. In fact, Independence ofers quick access to uptown which makes it an asset.

Furthermore, the elementary school for the neighborhood is a very fine school which draws from some desirable neighborhoods. such as Stonehaven. You mentioned that it is near Mason Wallace Park and you are correct - it is also close to McAlPine Greenway which is a lovely place to walk, run, and birdwatch.

I would have no qualms about renting there. DM me if yu want more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte