Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:38 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,552,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well....that ranking is up to much interpretation. It is listed as one of the nations best, but only for it's IB program. On the other hand, Providence and Ardry Kell are #1 and 2 in Charlotte for their entire student bodies academic standings. In other words, these schools are successful across the board, not just with the brainiacs like Myers Park
You know I don't have kids in school...I only heard stuff on TV or read it in the paper...lol!

Uptown used to be zoned to West Charlotte but the Uptown parents raised cane and wanted their kids in a better district so they rezoned it to Myers Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 09:42 PM

8 posts, read 25,091 times
What about other high schools that made the Newsweek list? Anybody have anything positive or negative to add? Any other schools that people think are also really great?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:18 AM

64 posts, read 287,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenSweer View Post
We're considering a move to Charlotte and I am reading conflicting info about the high schools. I have read about a lot of violence in schools that are ranked highly such as Providence and Hopewell. My kids would be in honors and AP courses, but still the general population of the schools worries me. I keep seeing those crime stats for Charlotte and it worries me.

Do the research and you will find that Providence is a much better school than Hopewell. AP classes will insulate your kids from much of the nonsense that takes within the classrooms. I have a friend who teaches at Hopewell and she often complains about the lack of discipline in the classrooms. Crime in Charlotte use to be pretty isolated to particular areas of the city but now it appears that criminals are branching out to many of the more affluent areas. Charlotte has hired a new police chief who reduced crime by 33% in I believe Richmond, Va. He starts on July 1 and hopefully he will do the same for Charlotte.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:10 PM

240 posts, read 731,924 times
Cool Ib

The whole Myers Park and their continued high ranking is very misleading as a lot of people think it is for the entire school but it is not. It is for their I.B. program.

I would look at Providence H.S. or the newer Ardrey Kell (only 2 years old but wonderful teachers and very strict)

Old 05-29-2008, 02:50 PM

380 posts, read 1,756,796 times
I wouldn't choose Hopewell if you can avoid it. We moved here this past year. Sent our daughter there. She tried it for 2 weeks and then we moved her to a charter school. She probably would have been okay next year when we could get her into the honors classes but since we came mid year they had to put her wherever they could fit her. It was not a good learning environment. She said many of the teachers she had had given up on trying to teach. They were maintaining order...or trying to at least. Almost every day she came home telling us about fights. Not at all what we were used to coming from a good school system in Ohio. She is excelling with straight As now in the charter school. We had heard at the time that Hopewell was better than N. Meck but now I hear the opposite. We love where we are living but just are so disappointed with the schools.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:35 AM

4 posts, read 7,077 times
My mother teaches at Mallard Creek HS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankimnc View Post
Mallard Creek HS is brand new this year (located in the University/North Charlotte area). We have no senior class, so the population is low when comparing to other schools in CMS. There are AP and Honors courses (which my boys are in); we have been pleased with their teacher and administration. See the report below. Good Luck

CMS Safe School Audit @ MCHS Mallard Creek High School received a 98% on the CMS Secondary Safe School Audit that was conducted in March. The audit team was on campus to evaluate various aspects of campus security, including supervision & our campus security associates.

Check this link out also
School profile

Old 06-03-2008, 07:36 AM

4 posts, read 7,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I agree with Providence or Ardrey Kell.

You could also cross over the boarder into Union County. Weddington and Marvin Ridge are both excellent.

Dawn
Yes. Those would be my top options if I was settling down in this area, speaking from experience. Also Porter Ridge in Union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte